Assassins Creed Origin DRM Triggers High CPU Utilization

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I wish all games were like Rocket League. Psyonix are surely the best devs ever. Cheap game with Micro transactions that goes to pay for College Scholarships and Prize money for tournaments. Millions they gave back to the community and i applaud them. The sooner we move away from expensive DRM riddled AAA games the better. Some of the best games ever are now F2P and more good titles are popping up all the time. Fortnite is a great example.

2. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Regardless, you put a DRM on something, pirates WILL and DO crack it and in the end only the buying customer suffers. While the pirates get a DRM-free game.

3. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
  4. Gorey

Gorey Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970

5. Rewision

Rewision Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 260
    "have no perceptible effect on game performance", "ensuring a steady 30 FPS performance" This must mean that as long as the fps does not drop under 30 fps its not a perceptible preformance loss... 60 fps instead of 100 fps is then a meaningless argument since 30 is the max you should have anyway? Guess everyone should just buy 30hz monitors and lock fps to 30^^

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    This basically. All the people in this thread complaining about DRM, should remember that pirating was rampant for years before DRM became commonplace (DRM was an industry reaction to unchecked piracy), and that many games that don't ship with DRM, ie the Witcher 3, get pirated in the millions of copies.

So yeah, they don't really have a leg to stand on, unless they think other peoples hard work should be available to them for free. And I also find it humorous that they take the word of a well known cracker so readily (talk about gullible!), like the guy doesn't have an ulterior motive or anything :rolleyes:o_O

7. shamus21

shamus21 Member Guru

GPU:
    why do gamers buy this crap.

Silva likes this.
  8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I dunno, I just saw this, saw this thread and posted it

9. Crazy Joe

Crazy Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090/24GB
    DRM is almost as old a gaming itself and it has never deterred piracy. My first computer was a Commodore 64 and we had some of the most annoying anti-piracy schemes that people could think off at the time (Lenslok, various physical disk based method (http://c64preservation.com/dp.php?pg=protection), manuals that came with colored sheets that would reveal code words you needed to type in at various points during gameplay). None of these method prevented piracy, instead they annoyed the hell out of paying customers.

DRM schemes will never stop piracy because they present a challenge to a certain percentage of the population that likes to test their wits against these schemes in order to prove that they are smarter than the developers of such schemes.

The fallacy of most companies is that they think that every pirated copy presents a lost sale, while in reality most of the people pirating the game would never have bought it in the first place and some of them actually end up buying the game when they would not have done that if they hadn't been able to check it out first.

With the removal of all the old "Try Before You Buy" options that we used to have (demos, shareware models etc) and the sometimes atrocious quality of high cost games, people have become wary to put down their money. Piracy gives some the avenue of doing a "Try Before You Buy" that publishers have stepped away from.

Most DRM schemes don't achieve what the publisher wants anyway (increased sales) because they work as an obstacle for most people due to their bad experiences with these schemes (who remembers good old Starforce, the protection scheme that hurt sales more than it ever prevented lost sales due to piracy). So while decreasing piracy for a while (because they all get cracked in the end), they also reduce the levels of legitimate sales.

This is exactly why CD Project Red has stepped away from DRM. Sure they get pirated a lot, but they also sell more games and create a loyal customer base due to this stance. And the money they save by not having to buy an expensive DRM solution can then be spent on making the game bigger and better which also helps sales.

HandR likes this.
  10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I know DRM has been around for a long time, but its increasing prevalence was basically lock step with the rise of high speed internet.

This is not true. The crackers like Voski or whatever his name is are ardently opposed to DRM. If all they wanted was a challenge, they wouldn't be publically opposed. The biggest reason by far why piracy will never be stopped, is because tons of people want free stuff that they don't have to pay for. It's no different than why thievery will never be stopped entirely either.

Yes, some pirates do have the try before you buy mentality. But I don't think they are the majority. Although true demos are fairly rare these days, tons of games have beta tests and trial periods, and there are plenty of previews out there by professional websites that make their living from testing, previewing and reviewing games. So it's not hard to know exactly what you're paying for. Plus there's Steam and other digital redistribution platforms that have big sales on a regular basis. However, the vast majority of pirates simply want to avoid paying for these products. This is shown time and time again, not only with games but with movies, music and many other software.

Even mobile games that sell for only a few bucks get pirated to hell and back. Piracy is just another form of entitlement mentality. Pirates think they are entitled to enjoy the fruits of someone else's hard work for free. You only have to read some of the comments in this thread to see this.

This is nothing short of a hollow excuse. Steam and Origin for sure offer plenty of free testing, because they both offer full refunds and free trials.

There's no excuse for DRM like Starforce I will readily agree with you. But Denuvo is nowhere near on that level. In fact, Denuvo has never been proven to affect performance or game playability in a negative way. If the DRM has no effect on performance or game playability, then why are the so called pirates against it? The reason should be obvious I think. Because any obstacle to their ability to pirate cannot be tolerated.

Again, you are jumping through hoops trying to justify piracy, but in the end it all amounts of the same. CDPR undoubtedly lost sales as a result of not having any DRM protection, as we are talking about piracy on a scale of millions of copies that were illegally downloaded. The only question is how much did they lose that could not be recovered.

BangTail likes this.

11. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ubisoft has always been the worst when it comes to over use of DRM, assassin creed 2 had an always online feature that if you lost internet for even a moment you would be booted of the game as it closed it down with not even saving :D

When will companies learn that DRM only hurts those that actually buy the games, people who pirate will do so regardless of what you do. but people who legitimately buy the game just get screwed over. Be nice if we went back to the old DRM days of do you have the product key :yes... then enjoy the game without it burning your system and house to the ground :D

CDPR may or may not have lost sales, this is the thing about pirating games, we don't know if these people would have actually bought it, or if they did pirate it would they buy it later after trying it. it is something we cannot know due to too many factors being in place.

But pirating is wrong, i agree. it just hurts everyone in the end, the developers and the people who actually buy their games as we get these damn DRM's

12. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Isn't it actually three DRMs including Uplay? This is just getting ridiculous.

Silva likes this.
  13. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    We'll use subjective terms that have no basis for an accurate description of the effects that are transpiring.

Here we go again... 30fps yo... it's cinematic... No it's just a sign that you budget game performance to a low criteria which results in poor performance, low quality and other issues such as vsync issues, motion sickness, input lag etc

This is why Ubisoft need to be boycott, they'll continue to do this unless they realise the aren't gaining revenue from sales - hurt them where it hurts most, keep your money in your wallet and out of theirs, don't let them abuse us gamers by forcing draconian DRM, poor quality and poor performing games - they release "AAA" titles, they should perform as well as they look

14. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Just a reminder - it's against forum policy to make posts actively encouraging others to pirate software and, as such, some posts have been removed.

Silva likes this.
  15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 if you add steam, if you buy it there of course.

Ubi was drunk and gay so it's okay.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017

16. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    The game is great and it runs fine, I'll even go as far as to say that it is the best in the AC series.

Sadly, thieves make it necessary for companies to use annoying protection schemes that very often end up inconveniencing paying users and that sucks.

I have had more than one issue with DCS (Flight Sim) because they insist on using Starforce but I can't really fault them as the simulations they produce are incredible, you are essentially getting access to planes and helos that cost millions for ~$60 bucks.

Why do so many people think that stealing software is somehow 'acceptable', it isn't, end of.

There is no excuse, there are betas, demos, early access and refunds and while I agree this industry is far from perfect, when I get enjoyment out of a title, I feel an obligation to compensate those people whose time and effort contributed to that enjoyment.

Finally, is there any truth to the ubiquitous assertion that people who pirate a game would not have bought it in the first place, I believe there probably is, but that sure as hell does not justify them stealing it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Carfax likes this.
  17. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ^^ If it won't run fine on an i9 7900x, 1080Ti SLI, and 64GB RAM it won't run on anything at all :p

Silva likes this.
  18. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    ROFL, I had a feeling I might get a comment like that but it runs well on my Laptop and my HTPC as well, with some obvious graphical concessions ;)

lucidus likes this.
  19. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Well they are hardly going to admit it does now, are they?

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well at least they indirectly said they can't code for crap.