Mirrors Edge Catalyst

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by KissSh0t, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I found it very tedious and boring.
    With some of the worst melee combat in a game in recent years.

Also... every character is unlikeable and annoying.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    After all this game is about parkour. Melee combat in first game was worst for me. You had to wait for a precise moment to press a key to perform melee (just like in newest two Tomb Rider games - you do evasive move and then wait for a right moment to press a key for execution). And some fights were very laggy.

To me combat in new game feels like more diverse and more fluent.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  3. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Everyone will have their own preferences.
    And, I agree. The melee combat in the original was pretty bad as well. But, at least in the first game you could grab a gun to deal with enemies... or simply outrun them.

Several times in Catalyst you are locked into an area and forced to take on enemies. And the melee combat works... when up against two enemies. But, once you get about four or more... it falls apart.
    As enemies all flock right on top of you. With others hanging back shooting at you. I found it just... annoying.

The more I played the game, the more I want it to be over.

And, while the free running is good... it's setup rather stupidly. With moves you had some minute one in the first game, being locked off until you can upgrade them much later.
    Also, the free-running starts to wear thin as you have to traverse back and forth across the same empty, lifeless city over and over.
    The first game's hand crafted, linear levels offered more variety, better design... and a more engaging experience.

Might be just me, but I hated this game. Which really made me sad, as I loved the first game.

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The problem with this game is that it came too late to the party. First one was great but after playing this I was bored in 30 mins as it's not 2009 anymore.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And I liked cartoon intermissions in first game a lot.

6. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    no wonder the first game had such a praise, seems it s better than this game.

7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I feel it is.
    Better pacing, story, level design...

Making this one open world was a horrible decision and, IMO, hurt the game immensely.

8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Ok I finally got around to buying this game on Origin yesterday, and it seems totally broken. When I launch the game within a couple seconds I get the error message Mirror Egde TM Catalyst has stopped working. I did some research on other forums and it appears lots of people are having the same or similar issues. I've done every kind of troubleshooting I can think of so far, re-installed Origin, ran a repair on the game, update to the newest geforce drivers, reboot PC, tried playing the game in offline mode, and still nothing. Any other ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    What happens if you run the game in compatibility mode? I am assuming you are running Windows 10?

10. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. I tried running it in Windows Vista mode with no luck. In fact I just did a complete windows re-installation, so everything is up to date yet this is the only game I'm having trouble with.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    That is strange, have you tried installing every c++ redistributable and also the full manual DirectX installation?

These ones, not sure if these are the newest but it's what I have installed.

[​IMG]

12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Greatly said, this game should have been in 2010

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Yeah I got all those. I don't know I'm about to just say screw it and thank god I only paid $5 bucks for it.

14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    More research shows this game is a piece of crap. How Dice ****** this up so bad is beyond my comprehension.

15. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    haven t played the game, but all i hear is negative feedback

16. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well after talking to EA and Microsoft tech support the game finally runs. I've only played about an hour so far but it looks great, and runs very smooth.

ramthegamer and KissSh0t like this.
  17. Xan01

Xan01 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6 GB
    Does anyone have an idea what kind of CPU is needed to keep this game at a locked 60? Can the 8700k at 5+ GHz get it done? Running the Hyper preset on my 2600k@4.5 GHz with 32 GB 2133 DDR3, 1060 6 GB and an SSD I get severe streaming stutters just from panning the camera around, even when I run at 720p in order to keep the GPU from bottlenecking (a 1060 isn't enough for a locked 60 during daytime either). It's pretty impressive that consoles even target 60 FPS as well. It's not Hyper settings there of course but considering the much weaker CPUs and streaming off of HDDs it a performs a lot better there relatively speaking.

As for the game itself, it's a shame it's not well received. BS storyline and characters aside the city does look pretty amazing and the open world concept fits the gameplay in my opinion. I think this game is definitely a prime candidate for revisiting it a few years later with better hardware.

18. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Loved it.

Need to do a second play-through at some point on my surround set up to see if I throw up or not.

19. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    your jaw will drop if you play it with pure 3D...

20. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Did
    U revisit it yet? Xd