Assassins Creed Origin DRM Triggers High CPU Utilization

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Its not our business to care about DRM.We just need to buy over and over again beta games and pre-order anything.
    They are satisfied about all money we gave them for all the crappy ported games from consoles. :eek:

Over-Hyped releases are not good for us,just for them.

2. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    working just fine on my i7 8700 and gtx 1080

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It only took the fastest CPU on market eh? :D

Granted CPU usage is doing OK on my 3930K too but it's a six-core and slightly overclocked even if it's not quite as efficient as the 4000 series CPU's let alone the newest models from either AMD or Intel.

I don't have the skill to look into what each thread is actually doing either, I can see the VM0 and VM1 references to the virtual machine but that's about it, a comparison with a unprotected version of the game would be really interesting too but I doubt that's going to happen outside of Ubisoft doing one themselves and then people wouldn't trust those results anyway. Getting the game cracked might not resolve it either if it just fools the DRM rather than doing a complete removal, it would still be there after all.

Looking into what the cores are actually working on would be neat, Anvil Next is pretty good at utilizing multi-core CPU's too so it could be legitimate usage helping with whatever the game is doing but a comparison into just how much the DRM is taking up would be fun to see too if possible which I doubt it will be until Ubisoft releases a DRM free version which yeah I doubt that would happen anytime soon.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    when DRM is using 30/40% the cpu, things are NOT working fine your usage would be lower maybe better fps too. but 8700 is in no way a slouch either, that video show you using ruouglh half cpu maybe lil more, which means quad with out HT are really being hammered and alot of is do to 30/40% from the drm. other wise quads "fine" too

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017

5. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    When will publishers, especially Ubisoft, realize that piracy has ZERO effect on sales!! Christ, even Metallica came to that conclusion what, 15-20 years ago?!

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    in 15-20 years when they realize DRM actual killing there sales and why people arnt buying there games.

DRM should never use more then 1% cpu and should damn sure never effect performance of game let alone the enjoyment of said game cause it effecting the performance. If DRM keep getting this stupid i will go back to "pirating" my games to to avoid stupid crap like this. it one thing put cpu to test cause it actual "using" the cpu fully, it another when DRM it self it using just as much usage as the game it self, and I am sorry but I wont pay for games that pull the crap, any more then I will pay for broke games.

7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I read somewhere the thing essentially runs a VM, as the name says, a proprietary x86 implementation is what runs some files of the game so it never gets unencrypted and its software emulation so the cpu hit obviously has to be substantial

I guess overkill "gaming" cpus like 8+ cores will get a boost from sales if this practice catches on

8. CRUBINO

CRUBINO Guest

GPU:
    Zotac Geforce GTX1080 FE
    no, you was wrong.... that's not DRM Virtual machine.... that's Ubisoft's Bitcoin team that trying to hijack your CPU and then dedicated it as their mining cluster client :D:D

Silva likes this.
  9. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
  10. Davud

Davud Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700XT Gaming X
    Ubi contacted arstechnica and claimed that their DRM has "no perceptible effect on game performance".
    I am running the game at 50~60 fps 1080p, very high detail preset on i5 6600K@4.4Ghz and Strix 970 and I have no complaints except stutters in cutscenes. Funny things is between medium and ultra there is only about 8~9 fps difference which proves the CPU bottleneck point.
    By the way I finished the main story today and it was beautiful.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This game does not look that great. Last AC game I played was Black Flag and that game looked alive. This game looks stale and dead.

12. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
  13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the spin doctors at these companies will always say other wise.

lucidus likes this.
  14. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Spin Doctors...they were not a bad group

15. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Double protection ey? Why not make it triple? Why not punch me in the nuts while we´re at it. This all seems fishy to be honest. When will they learn DRM is flawed from the start in every sense of the word.

Silva, Robbo9999 and airbud7 like this.

16. kbx1

kbx1 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Palit GR
    People pirate games because they don`t want to pay for it or they want to check game before buying. Was piracy non existent before denuvo? Witcher 3, game free from any drm, was also pirated.

Carfax likes this.
  17. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    The whole point of releasing a game on Steam or Uplay is so you don't have to use DRM's anymore because the client acts as a DRM in itself. When are these spastic ever going to learn? If you put an extra DRM on a game, pirates will crack it just to spite you for your stupidity.

Silva likes this.
  18. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    I wouldn't say it's working fine. The micro-stuttering is very noticeable in your video and you have very high-end PC. Most people playing this game won't have a setup as good as yours. Also, try to increase hardware polling rate (e.g. 250 ms or 100 ms instead of 1000 ms) and enable graphs in RivaTuner Statistic Server. You might see the difference.

https://www.back2gaming.com/guides/enable-graphs-afterburner/

Silva likes this.
  19. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    :rolleyes:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    You do have a point BUT there are emulators for just steam or uplay or origin to skip client authorization and the safest route for DEVs / publishers is client+athorz.+prot. triggers combo which ofc everything is crackable but harder work and time consuming, thus the wait-for-newer-last-patch method before crack a game, especially with combined protections.

Also client isn't same as DRM check..