Dx 12 question.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by nz3777, Oct 22, 2017.

1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Howdy gurus I just got windows 10 installed so I am kinda happy about having dx-12 but I do not own any dx-12 supported games, Can someone please point me in the right direction I know battlefield 1 has it but not sure what the rest are.

Here are my machine specs btw...
    1) Fx 8320 e
    2)Asus m5a780 board
    3)8 gb 1600 MHz ram
    4)Gtx 980 strix
    5)Windows 10 home

2. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Well there's quite a few of games running on DX12 nowadays (natively or as an option).

BF1
    GoW Ultimate Edition
    GoW 4
    The Division
    Battlefront II
    Hitman
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Quantum Break
    Forza Horizon 3
    Deus Ex MD
    Sniper Elite 4
    The list goes on...

3. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
  4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I tried Hitman yesterday it seems to run a little-bit smoother compared to dx-11 but I could be wrong. I also own Deus ex guess I can try that out next? Thanks guys.

5. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Most games runs better with dx11 on nvidia cards. Only exception i found is civ vi that maybe have a few seconds shorter rounds times with dx12.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I've heard from a friend it does, since it's quite CPU intesive during round calculations. Oddly enough, with TW:WH, dx12 still is a lost cause for me. Need to check with TW:WH2, but I'd be surprised to see big differences between the two.

7. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    That's the only 2 games I have access to at the moment -I just cannot get into playing deus-ex for some reason its too dam complicated for me anyway....Dx12 is supposed to bring new features is it not plus Lower cpu usage and or equal to gpu usage? Among other things are we going to get a More realistic looking picture while gaming is my main question?

8. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    I was under the impression that DX12 was dead in the water.

9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    DX 12 is very young and since the current consoles don't support it, I wouldn't even worry about it for a while. DX 11 is the best api since DX 9.

pimpernell likes this.
  10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    All this DX12 hate. :rolleyes: DX12 is a fantastic API. The problem is the developer skill that's required to implement it properly is very high, and that almost all contemporary game engines are designed from the ground up for DX11. To get the most out of DX12, will require game engines to be completely rewritten, and for developers to use SM6.x.

Once those things happen, DX12 will take off like a rocket. But still, that doesn't mean that DX11 is going to disappear. A high level API will likely always be required, because as I said before, not every developer is skilled enough to be able to properly utilize a low level API.

11. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Actually the Xbox One supports DX12.

Most of Microsoft’s own games run pretty well in in DX12 and Rise of The Tomb raider saw significant improvements in CPU bound areas, definitely worth developers embracing.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Rolleyes lol.
    Its your interpretation that requires a rolleyes.
    Can you point out where you saw hate?

Nobody is saying the API cant be used constructively, its that it isnt helpful much of the time, especially using NVidia cards.
    When DX12 produces worse results and requires an operating system that is fraught with problems, its not very desirable.
    There are some good applications but that is not the general experience.

You can roll your eyes when there is no reason to avoid it.
    Pointing at the future doesnt change anything people experience now.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    Nijohc likes this.
  13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Perhaps hate was a strong word, but there's no doubt this thread has a negative perception towards DX12 mostly based on lack of knowledge.

And there are reasons for why that is, and I've already outlined most of them. You can't blame the API when a developer is merely incompetent. NVidia's DX12 driver already mimics some of the functions of DX12 and Vulkan, so a developer really needs to write good code to beat their DX11 driver when it comes to efficiency and CPU usage. Also, what problems does Windows 10 have? I've had Windows 10 since launch, and I have no doubt that it's the best operating system that Microsoft has ever released. And it's only getting better!

Yeah but people need to understand why they are experiencing these problems. There are really good DX12 implementations out there, like Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3 (with the performance patch), The Division, Hitman etcetera, which run better than DX11, and this is without the added benefit of SM6.0 which would improve things even more.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You are invested in DX12 that is clear.
    But you are missing the whole point of the comments made.
    The negative perception toward DX12 is because it doesnt help and often makes things worse.
    The only exposure to DX12 that the public get is the games they play.
    Its nothing to do with lack of knowledge, its down to the experience.

When a TVs features are broken its nothing to do with not understanding the hardware or how the code was written.
    Understanding those wont help either.
    If you want to blame the people who wrote the code then stop attacking the people who paid to use it and are not able to enjoy the experience.

It doesnt matter what you outline here, it changes nothing.
    Outline it to those who write the code if you feel you can make a difference.

If you want to know what problems Windows 10 has read the OS forum.
    Theres no lack of threads.

People only need to know what works well and what doesnt.
    You will go blue in the face trying to explain that its too difficult to code for effectively this early in its life, and it doesnt matter.
    Saying this has no effect at all.
    At all.

15. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I know right>?

I did not mind a little arguing here and there makes me feel like I am not the only crazy one in this world haha. So Dx-12 is still new I got that part and the Developers need to start coding for Dx-12 well what the hell are they waiting for if I may ask?

Honestly I did not see such a big change in graphics using dx11 vs dx12-almost exactly same thing.Maybe in the Future?