AMD Announces Ryzen Mobile With Vega Graphics

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Embra likes this.
  2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    These look great. They need to have good hardware to go along with them though. No single channel memory crap etc....

3. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    These could sell very good for them if priced right,and looking at the gaming performance not bad at all you can have a Decent gaming machine for really cheep.I would price them in the $135-$150 range they would sell like hot-cakes in my opinion.You pay for the cpu and get the -igpu for free basicly ( I think ) that's the way the old apu's were described.

4. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    That looks even better than what the leaks were suggesting ie: TDP of 35W
    For them to put that much power in that kind TDP looks great,definitely Intel has another front to be concerned about.
    It says also a lot about GloFo process,namely that is optimized for low power.That is probably effect of them buying/co-developing 14nm node with Samsung.We see same effect of that node in Ryzen and VEGA, ryzen is great in TDP segment but want go over 4GHz unless you apply high voltages,and VEGA with it's high consumption probably AMD set to high clocks.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017

5. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    And with 8GB DDR4 limit. This is really GREAT!... Whops did I violate any NDA? I do not care at all.

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    AMD being AMD this will be the same die as the Desktop APUs. I *think* there's supposed to be 11 GPU CUs on there, so 704 cores total? I guess we'll have to wait and see. Otherwise, these look quite promising.

7. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Where did they saw that 8GB limit,i just skimmed through slides and saw just mention of supported DDR4 freq. Weird

8. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    This...

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'd rather wait for the Ryzen 3s. I want the best performance-per-watt and I don't care about graphics performance all that much. My i3 Haswell laptop still handles my workload without a sweat; the main reason I want to replace the laptop is because of pretty much everything that doesn't have to do with its performance (the battery life, keyboard, trackpad, chassis, display, speakers, USB ports, etc). I'm even willing to use ARM, but there aren't any decent Tegra or Snapdragon laptops out there.

10. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Unpublicized docs, not those slides available on the wild ... I really hope that's a PR mistake (that's would not the first time PR write stupid things on cards), it would not make sense to limit to 8GB anything about cheap chromebook rivals... But this would explain why I am not aware of any Ryzen mobile using 2*8 GB RAM or more devices but only device with 2*4GB or even worst 1*8GB (yeah single channel!) soldered on PCB (even my "old" Surface Pro 3 use 2*4GB ULP sticks allowing dual channel).

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    At least its dual channel memory.
    Its also not the same die as the desktop chip, as it has half the L3 cache.
    it a new version of the CCX, with only 4MB of the L3 instead of 8MB.
    Turbo's and clock gating have been improved also.

12. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Unfortunately I am aware more then one OEM choosing 1*8GB single channel only configurations... And mostly of them are not "upgradable".

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    In the news article itself, it states:

"The mobile processors can be paired with DDR4-2400 MHz (max 8GB) memory configured in dual-channel mode."

However, i'm not entirely sure this states 8GB max per stick, or 8GB max per system. If per system, that is a bit odd.

14. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    There are 11CU's, but one disabled for yields, so finally only 10 (or 8) active.
    the die has only 4MB of L3, so its not entirely the same as the Desktop CCX.

I'm more interested in the Memory controllers and the Display controllers being on the other side of the Infinity Fabric.
    That would enable a hypotheical multi-chip GPU, with the Display controller behind the IF (but still on-chip).

15. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    That would be the usual big boys, who have been pressured by Intel to not release anything good for AMD, or they will jack up the chipset prices (ie : no kickbacks).
    They are bastards to cripple chips like that....like they did with the previous APU's and only a single memory channel active.

Its more likely to be Max of 8GB per stick, or a Single Rank memory SO-DIMM, which prob doesn't come in 16GB variants (yet).
    edit: yes they do. Kingston, at least, has a single rank 16GB So-DIMM of ValueRAM.

16. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    No,i saw that in article,i was just wondering from where did Hilbert (presumably author and writer of article) pull that number,because in accompanying slides (from AMD presumably) just states DDR4 freq. and it says nothing about memory capacity.

17. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Intel's real 4 core mobile CPUs have been quite expensive, which is why there are even ridiculous 2 core i7s out there. But maybe Intel will change all that with the Coffee Lake mobile just like they totally changed their desktop CPU core configurations. I don't expect AMD to sell their mobile CPUs too cheaply, though. It's not like the desktop Ryzen would have cost nothing either. They just need to beat Intel reasonably.

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It always boggled my mind why anyone ever bothered to buy a dual core i7.

I think the mobile Ryzens will be sold pretty cheaply, at least for this first generation. AMD has never been known for making good mobile chips, even back in the Athlon 64 days. Even when they finally had a decent model (Carrizo) it was crippled by the OEMs. People are adamant about holding onto their first impressions, so AMD has to really convince people they've made a good mobile platform. For people who just want something that works, they're going to buy the cheapest product in the performance tier they're looking for.

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Hey I was just about to post this! Our Dell rep just sent me a boat load of info on the 2700U and the 2500U!

The only "issue" I have I guess is the max memory speed is limited to 2400 mhz, which is a good spot for Ryzen in general however as top tier devices for mobile I think it should be able to go higher, or have that option at least. The Zen core itself gains a huge performance boost from the memory speed, and the igpu on the APU's gain a huge performance boost from the memory speed as well. But man, the vega cores on these chips run max at 1100mhz! For an iGPU, that's insane. Very limited information on the Vega cores inside these 2 chips though. The 2700U having 10 Vega cores, and the 2500U having 8. But how many stream processors are in each Vega core? The CPU side is locked, but what about overclocking the GPU side?

Either way, excitement!

When I had my ASUS laptop with a Core M, honestly even with gaming I never noticed any performance issues running 2 cores. Games like DOOM, Skyrim SE, ESO, never had an issue playing them.

20. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Its on the slides for the three "launch laptops".
    It does look like Lenovo is launching only with Single-Channel DDR4-2133 support, and both HP and Acer state Dual channel memory, but only "Up to 8GB" without stating whether thats per channel, or in total.
    AMD's reference setup does have 2x4GB of DDR4-2400 though............

edit : TPU has this on their Raven Ridge Silicon page "
    The integrated northbridge features a dual-channel DDR4 integrated memory controller supporting up to 64 GB of memory at clock speeds of up to DDR4-3200; and a PCI-Express gen 3.0 root complex with a 28-lane budget. This means that besides the x4 A-Link chipset bus, the M.2 PCIe slots on typical machines will be wired to the APU. The integrated southbridge puts out two SATA 6 Gbps ports, and four USB 3.0 ports."

not sure where they got that info from...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    kruno likes this.