[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 RS3 - Fall Creators Update - Build 16299.15

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Sep 16, 2017.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Only in DX9 applications? I wonder how API function knows that app is DX9. By checking the list of DLLs loaded into process? Or you mean 32-bit applications?

2. GreenAlien

GreenAlien Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 OC
    After the update bluetooth was no longer working for me. Just wanted to share that uninstalling the bluetooth dongle in the device manager and replugging it fixed whatever was wrong.

3. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It was a bug introduced since Windows 8 (!) for the Direct3D 9 runtime which prevent to allocate more then 4GB of virtual memory (which affects both dedicated and system shared memory!), even on 64-bit applications (e.g.: original version of Skyrim). 32-bit applications are not affected (since they cannot normally allocate more then 32-bit virtual address on 64-bit OS). DX10 and beyond applications were never affected.

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    On 1709 in the Settings Gaming section there is no longer a toggle for Game mode. Do you have to keep Game Bar enabled and open it in every game to disable Game mode? Or is there a system wide disable somewhere I can't find?

5. Dantrfc

Dantrfc Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming 8GB
    just installed this update and having problems!!!
    MadVR is not working... i use this in Media player classic, as soon as i hit full screen on anything i watch, it goes black with sound playing.
    the next problem is Quick Access is not working at all, cant even get anything in that to show up.
    another problem is that i have Firefox and File explorer both as shortcuts in my taskbar and lets just say i have file explorer open and want to open another window, i go to that shortcut in taskbar, right click it and open it, now it does nothing, same with firefox when i go to open a new window i usually right click it and open, nothing happens now
    i hope some of you can help me out with this.

6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So far 1709 seems like another pointless Win10 update with nearly zero of relevant improvements. I've ran into a bunch of new issues yesterday and a couple of those which were fixed in 1703 ages ago (like the lock screen slideshow not working again). Rather disappointing update in my view.

This toggle never really did anything in 1703 either. You basically had to use Game Bar to switch Game Mode too.

boogieman likes this.
  7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Hmmm, I hadn't noticed the Game mode options changing from v1703 to v1709 to be honest. As far as I am aware, Game mode is activated on a per-game basis and by default it isn't enabled for any games to my knowledge. Of course, if you enable it for a game via the Game bar then Windows will remember that setting until you either disable Game mode entirely (which means it would be re-enabled for the game(s) if it was turned back on) or disable it for that game.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It's definitely not an update where you'd notice many changes, I agree.

I have noticed a few improvements myself and some downgrades. For example, the icon text is now centred, as with earlier versions of Windows, so it doesn't appear to be left-justified anymore (this really should be an option IMO but Microsoft seem adverse to giving its Windows users many choices).

However, on the negative side, the This PC window in tiled mode looks odd for devices and drives that have names which span two lines. Also, their icons seem to be much shorter resulting in some odd wrapping around of text. I've also experienced some strange issues with Unity engine games where the framerate either locks at 22-24 fps or jumps between 22-24 fps and 100+ fps depending on the game, e.g. in Road Redemption, Cuphead and Dungeons 3. Thankfully, using the -windowed-mode exclusive launcher option for those games fixes the issue but it's annoying all the same as Unity just worked before on v1703 with the pre-v387.xx NVIDIA graphics drivers. The issue may be related to this build of Windows, WDDM 2.3 (as supported by this version of Windows and the v387.xx) and/or the v387.xx drivers themselves. Or it just might be the Unity engine which impresses me less and less the more games I see that use it (I particularly dislike the lack of support for exclusive fullscreen).

Oh and this update did fix the issue I was having on v1703 with the Store absolutely refusing to download Forza Motorsport 7 so there's that in its favour (I still think the Store as a whole is a complete travesty of coding though).

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  10. mootyful

mootyful Member

GPU:
    GTX 760 Gigabyte
    you have to disable full screen optimization on mpc for it to work

Jackalito and Dantrfc like this.

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Installed the update last night. First thing noticed was that the system felt snappier. Ran HCI Memtest to make sure the ram was still stable and it was. Ryzen may not have benefited much but ram latency went down; now at 64.9 (does not matter how may times in a row run Aida64 back-to-back). Even the Nvme M2 drive received a boost. Too congested at the moment to notice or run anything else.

Any idea how long the choice to continue on to 10 or roll back that pops up during booting will persist? Lazy to click on the provided link to change defaults.

EDIT: click on the link...does absolutely nothing in regards to ending the choice screen. Guess for some it would end up being beneficial.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  12. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    Appeared on windows update.
    I started the download.
    At 66% my internet connection went away for 4-5 minutes and came back.
    Download stucked at 66% for 30 minutes.
    Procedure finally concluded with an error message that something went wrong and I have to retry.

I retried.
    Download completed but did not prompted me to restart.
    I restarted manually.
    Restart took a while and then logged again to windows without implementing the update.
    I checked and I still had 1703.

Retried to download.
    Download completed and prompted me to restart.
    Everything went fine and the update was finally installed.

The whole procedure took me something like three hours.

I found that is update is intrusive.

- People app appeared in my taskbar
    - nvcpl desktop resolution settings reverted to default
    - 2 startup items were re-enabled. Sendtoonenote tool that I had disabled via taskmanager, and my soundcards realtek control panel that I had disabled and deleted manually through the registry!!
    - Windows disabled search service was running again
    - some of my privacy settings were altered

I had a 5 hours gaming session today and everything is problem free and smooth just as it was before.
    I found out though that there is a performance drop of 5-10% in most of my games.

Is it possible that the update altered some other setting ?
    I have to find out ?
    I don't believe though that a windows setting can alter gaming performane(framerate) by 5-10%.

Thinking seriously to restore back to 1703.

13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Exact opposite here, my first impression was that the system became much less responsive, everything opens slower now. In fact at some point I thought that this is too slow to be normal and made a second clean install yesterday setting up things a bit differently - but alas arrived into the same unresponsive mess at some point. It seems to have sorted itself out in the morning though so I'm still not sure what was the cause - I blamed old X-Fi drivers at first but it doesn't seem to be the culprit.

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Installed the update via Windows Update. Running DISM.../RestoreHeatlh and SFC /scannow revealed there were some files that were corrupted that could not be fixed. Rebooted and reinstalled the C++ runtimes via Thatguy91's tool along with running his .NET Framework recompiling tool ended up being a life saver. Reran SFC /scannow and all was normal. After doing all that, that was when I noticed the uptick in responsiveness.

15. Dantrfc

Dantrfc Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming 8GB
    this worked, thanks alot!!

do you also have the taskbar problem im having?

16. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    I have the same problem...Did a clean format like an hour ago...any solution to this?

I have Soundblaster Z...i saw windows tried to install a driver but i had already installed drivers before i plug the internet.

Windows explorer / taskbar is bugged out...send help.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Let Windows install its drivers and reboot. Should solve the issue.

18. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    It says device up to date...UWP apps are very slow takes forever to open...

did sfc /scannow... didnt find any corrupted files...damn it

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    try "reset this pc" . just type that when you press the start button

20. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Meh im pissed off...i will download the RS2 Iso and format again.