The Evil Within 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    yup same here , gpu usage never goes above 60%.

2. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Is the game as linear as the first one?

3. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    I had took a look into the game with my system.
    And using performance metrics of the game (which displays the frametimes) it is easy to assume that the problem comes from the CPU, altough the CPU it is barely used.
    So there is something wrong with the game.
    Also the game is very demanding to the GPU, I have a HD 7850 and dispite I get <30FPS overall due to that GPU Usage bug, the game displays the frametimes of the GPU, which if everything was fine with the GPU usage, that would be the framerates/frametime that I would get, and with low settings I would get frametimes between 33ms to 20ms depending on the area, so I'm gonna assume that the game would run at 30-45fps on low settings.

Also I took some screenshots comparing all the settings and it's funny how graphics looks very similar from low to ultra, with low settings we get all the goods already.
    Screen space reflections, object-motion blur, SSAO, Volumetric Lightining, textures maxed (the game don't have a texture toogle), and acceptable shadow quality on low, nothing too pixelated, it also features TAA and Bloom

So when changing to medium or high or ultra, it seems that it's only very small refinements on all the effects listed above lol, sometimes on my SS I won't even notice the difference.
    Now, if you start to get things lower than low settings then the quality starts to drop dramatically, disabling volumetric lightining, SSAO, TAA and Screen Space Reflections, causes some big difference in quality, so the low settings acts like a High settings of any other game, and Medium, high and Ultra it's like ultra settings or an advanced settings of GTA V LOL.

@slick3 No, after chapter 3 you are introduced to a town with secundary things to do apparently.
    It seems very interesting and there is some nice exploration to do, I had gone to a rooftop, and found a broken sniper rifle that I could repair, needed to take a zombie first though, but it already gave a good ideia that there are a lot of stuff to explore.
    Also the middle diffculty which is survive, it feels almost one hit one kill if you have your HP bar slighty lower than medium HP XD

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Put about two hours into it so far.
    Running at 1080p, Medium settings... Motion Blur off in every way possible. :) Also, film grain down to zero.
    For the most part, the game is holding upper 50s to 60fps. In some locations, pushes 70 to 80.

It's hard to take some people seriously when complaining about performance. I've seen so many "Running at 4K, Ultra settings on a 1060... frame rate sucks! Screw this game!"... ugh.

But, yes, there does seem to be a bug in the game that's hindering it's frame rate. Tango were very quick to update and address issues in the first game, so I have faith they will only work to improve the sequel.
    But, even with this issue, still a smoother release then the first games.

5. Evileh

Evileh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 TI FTW UL
    Even with a 970 at 1080p and you cant max it out? WTF?

Anyone who thinks they can run a modern game on a 6GB 1060 at 4k with all the video options on needs to have their head examined

6. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Honestly, I haven't tried taking the settings any higher.
    It defaulted to Medium when I started it, and I just disabled motion blur (because it should be... in every game... ever) and turned of Chromatic Aberration. And just started playing.

A 970 is an older card, so I don't go into any new game expecting to max out anything. If I can find a good middle ground and hold a solid 60fps... I'm happy.
    And, once I can... I'll save up some money and upgrade my GPU. Until then... it's all about compromise.

But, I was just looking at the box since I bought it retail.
    The system requirements on the box say something the ones online never did.

On the box it says "Recommended (30fps @ 1080p)"...
    The minimum says "Minimum (30fps @ 720p)". Even though the game allows 60 and uncapped frame rates, it seems it was still designed around 30fps.

7. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Settings means almost nothing in this game.
    Like I've said there is almost 0 difference in graphics between low and ultra.
    It's mafia 3 all over again where the game looked virtually the same from low to high, but performance difference was huge between settings.
    In this game, you spend GPU Resources in things that make sense like Shadow resolution or better LOD, but you also spend GPU resources in barely noticable stuff like SSAO precision, Volumetric Lights precision (The low is refined already), more samples on the motion blur lol, more resolution for the Screen Space reflections that you barely notice any difference but hinders performance, all the performance goes to things that you don't see.

The settings for this game for me, it's something like..
    What framerate do you want? 30FPS, ok lets drop until I get 30fps and apply a lock XD
    Ohh I want 60fps, let's try dropping down a little more.
    If you start to drop things from low to OFF, that's where you will notice the graphics quality to change and that's where you should stop, and consider using less framerate than you intent.

It's all a psychological thing.
    We say to ourselves, crap we are running a game at low settings, that's crap!!!
    but, in the end, the low settings looks virtually the same as Ultra.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Hmm i dont know about this game. i have mixed feelings. some stuff is cool. and other things like the stealth system is really crap.

9. Solved updating to beta version of GFE 3.10.0.95 and now I can share my gaming session of The Evil Within 2 on Facebook ;)

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Runs ok, but there seems to be some streaming issue which causes them fps drops..

Maxed out, taa + driver fxaa @ dsr 1440p, intro 50-60fps , later 60fps pinned.

Also ingame vsync off and forced driver adaptive + rtss 60fps limit, need to test vsync some more and tweak to smooth things out... Them jitters -fps drops if you turn around quick (streaming glitch)..

Could be driver issue too..

Game is ok though, could have been a little better though, story and spookiness is still there like by 1st.. And like I mentioned before ID6 would have been much better, visually and perf. Wise.

11. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    It would but Id tech 6 was far from ready when they started developing the game. So we just have a weird Id tech 5 version of it

-Tj- likes this.
  12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yeah i know.. but ah well..

Outdoors still looks alot like Tew1, indoors, characters and fx is more advanced though, so that is good. :)

13. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Hmm. Film grains looks to be on even if I turn it down to zero. :/ That's annoying.

14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    There's no certainty that had the game been on idTech6 it would've performed better.
    The reason they ran into performance issues with idTech5 on the first game was because of how much they rewrote on the engine. They recoded the physics engine, the renderer, and the lighting engine. idTech5 didn't support fully dynamic lighting, but Evil Within did.
    Tango removed MegaTextures and the pre-baked lightmaps so they could use a fully dynamic lighting engine.

Who's to say they wouldn't have made drastic changes to idTech6 as well, which could've lead to performance issues.
    Remember, an engine by itself is not gold. Something I've been trying to tell people since PREY came out, and everyone was all "Of course it runs great, it's on CryEngine"... which makes no sense. Look at Homefront: Revolution... yeah, CryEngine sure runs great. ;)

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've played up to Chapter 6 so far... the game is very enjoyable if a bit rough around the edges (performance hitches and jarring object pop in for example). Feels like a mix of Resident Evil, Silent Hill and even Dead Rising. I do like the decision to go open world as it makes exploration more fun. It's definitely better than the first game IMO.

One other issue I'm seeing though is what looks like texture seaming across walls, tables and even the nurse's skirt - it looks like they're made up of squares that I can see the edges of. It's hard to explain so I'll post a picture below. I'm using the v387.98 Hotfix driver.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ioe2y9bpgiwl5vb/TEW2_2017_10_14_13_54_44_253.jpg?dl=0

Let me know if the link doesn't work. The issue can be seen clearly on the walls.

16. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    it's a Bethesda game so i'm not worried

Wolfenstein+RAGE also got that problem , they never fixed it

in a high res screenshot the engine can show it's beauty

17. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    after 2 hours(chapter 3)...

game is good but I think EW 1 is better game. Optimization is average. In 1440p on GTX 1070 I have FPS from 45 to 75. Hairs animation is very bad and bloom has also bad quality. Game looks much better without bloom(I use magic bloom from reshade). Exteriors are very simple but looks better than in EW1. Interiors looks nice but some small objects have very low textures resolution. I like lightening and shadows in this game.

Please Still not fix for "toggledebugcamera" command ?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  18. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming

this problem I have in rage and Doom 3 if I have enabled AF in drivers.

19. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    I'm running the game @1080p and a stable 60fps with a 1070. I got another system running a 970 and it dips down to low or mid 40's then back to 60. Both systems are running the game on Ultra. It kind of reminds me of the first one that came out and I had my r9 290, hehe.

20. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Played a bit more, got to union, and found ive got an odd stutter problem, i can be doing around 60fps, but when looking around etc...., it isn't smooth, seems to stutter sometimes.

Probably just needs a few patches to sort, like the first one.

Loving it though so far, reminds me so much of the 1st one, where you sneak up behind them and wallop!, knife to the skull etc..., and the nurse from the hospital is back through the mirror, where you do all yer gel use from that chair :D