Review: Intel Core i5 8600K CPU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I think the inclusion of the new low res 720p CPU bound testing was a good step Hilbert, thanks for including those. People with 144Hz 1080p monitors like myself sometimes turn down game details to achieve 144 fps while still gaming at 1080p, which is effectively the same for the CPU as the tests you're doing at 720p, so it's a useful inclusion to see how different CPUs will perform in the 144Hz zone. It looks like Intel is dominating in that zone, even some of the older generations of Intel too.

8600K looks like a good gaming CPU right now, although if I were building a system now I'd go the extra for the 8700K to get more threads, which is useful now but also increasingly in the future - 8700K would be a more solid platform for upcoming future GPU generation upgrades.

sverek and MaCk0y like this.
  2. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I am liking this bad-boy way more then the 8700k- I still think a cheeper price maybe $220 would be more sutable but for intel even this price is a shocker.My pick now is either this or ryzen 1600x or 1600. Very smart responce from intel to Amd's Ryzen.

3. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    +100

4. ivymike10mt

ivymike10mt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    In Poland 8600K (preorder) cost 1450PLN / 402 USD, with VAT included.
    8700K (available) for 1999 PLN / 554 USD with VAT.
    7700K cost around 400 USD with VAT.

What is the conclussion.. and where is the deal..?
    For a same price as 7700K/7740X, we can get very similar performance.

And about 8700K for a 554 USD.. It's salty price for these two extra cores.
    It's like Price = Performance.

EDIT : I found some 8600K offers for a 344 $ It makes this CPU bit more worthy to consider for some ppl.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Correct, AMD wins in the non game benchmarks as leave enabled SMT for all their Ryzen 5 processors - Intel disables HT (SMT) for the Core i5 86000k. So for those that didn't get as to why Ryzen performs better in the non-game benchies, that would be the main reason.

Kaarme and Borys like this.
  6. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    Very well remembered my dear HH. Add to this a nice overclock gains that 1600/x can do and BINGO, the best buy with sure!
    Other thing, the 8600K has some more FPS with a 1080 card, but i have a question. How much % in FPS this CPU gains with a intermediate VGA that I think this CPU was designated to?

7. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    And the dumb as bricks comment award of the day goes to....

I doubt a single person who's been waiting for the 8600k as their next CPU gives a toss about non-gaming performance. Always has been dubbed as the gaming CPU for this generation and in that it absolutely does what it sets out to do.
    I'm really looking forward to getting one! Happy to get a new mobo also.. this new series is for those of us on SandyBridge/IvyBridge who are desperate for an upgrade, and those who wish to go 6 core and don't mind the platform upgrade.

Slam likes this.
  8. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    Only if you use your PC as a simple PC console - with one main task, without running other demanding processes in the background. I'm sorry, but I'm used to living in a little more advanced reality. In such a way that launching a demanding game does not interfere with the opening of several browser windows and streaming the movie from the network to the TV. And even launching some tasks related to work. It's that I can run at the same time simple recoding and simultaneously I can play on the same computer is much more valuable than 5 fps more in the game.

9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    HH you just hit a 30 metre header.
    HH 1 everyone else nil.:cool:

finally great value from Intel.
    but still expensive *if* you need 6-8 cores with HT, where this is just the straight six.
    on the other hand, this is a sweet spot if you're a gamer first. multi-tasking schmulti-tasking :D:D
    let's see how it does multi-threaded game play w/streaming...a lot of people see themselves as twitch superstars so i guess it won't be long to find out.

10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Looks to be about as expected. Like the 8700K, the 8600K narrows the value gap with the Ryzen 5, making for a far more competitive product line. The price is a bit on the high side (especially at the current time, with only premium boards available) but it's a solid product overall, especially for gaming.

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    where are all the posts from few months earlier that said you do not need more than 4 cores to game ? is not a usable argument anymore ? :p

12. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Agreed. I would suggest benchmarking by lowering the graphics settings instead of lowering the resolution. That's what I do to try to achieve 144FPS.

13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Yeah, there's a real platform difference updating from an older chipset mobo, so it's quite understandable indeed. I'd basically only get the lolptane compatibility as far as the mobo would go. I already have DDR4 and M.2 with 4xPCIe lanes.

14. S V S

S V S Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Thanks for the review additions Hilbert!

I am tempted to upgrade my gaming box to the 8700K but I may just try to hold out for Ice Lake. Decisions...

15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    it only beat its predecessor...7700k.

16. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    And this means that threads and cores actually count nowdays, that said last year or 2 if we stretch it we saw the actual benefit in game of having the i7 2600k over 2500k ... will it take that long this time? Well as everyone else i am happy to see 4 core taking a place on the low end market !

airbud7 likes this.
  17. Arbie

Arbie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    "If you are a gamer ONLY and want to reward Intel for 5 years of crap, and ignore AMD for saving us, it's just really good."

Fixed that for you.

18. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    consumers buy what best for them. We have more options than ever now. Good time to be alive.

19. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    it will be a long time before game developers make a 6 core the minimum requirement...

They would shoot thereself in the foot if they did that....

Venix likes this.
  20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I dunno, I think quad cores are still very relevant for gaming (even though I've retired my old 4790K, it could probably still do very well in games for the next couple of years). As I said before, these new hexa-core CPUs mostly add multi-core benefits, not single-core (those looking to buy Coffee Lake should do so for better multi-threading, not better single-threading). Of course games in the future may be better optimized for more cores, but I wouldn't bet the farm on that (considering the fact that most gamers today have dual-core CPUs, it'll likely take years before six-core gaming becomes the norm).

Venix likes this.