MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I installed over last beta (AB beta19 - RTSS beta29) and for some reason beta30 no OSD display in DX11 mode in BF1 and BF4.
    Heven worked ok.
    Went back to beta 29 and its ok. will try another install of beta30 later.
    Edit: Installed again and its working fine, so discard above.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  2. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    it works with the new beta

[​IMG]

dr_rus, LocoDiceGR and Unwinder like this.
  3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Not everything you do not understand is not intuitive. A bit of patience, moving on the learning curve and you'll understand relation of layout specific text formatting attributes with final result. There were demo videos showing layout editor in action on the previous pages.

Slowing down the graphs is useless, if not say more, it is illogical if you understand their nature. Graph speed for regular monitored data sources is defined by polling rate, so you can adjust the speed by adjusting it (of course while keeping in mind that more frequent hardware polling stress CPU). Framerate and frametime graphs are exception, they are supposed to be refreshed per frame to allow hardware reviewers seeing each single frame time and to be able to spot stutters without missing anything, so slowing them down effectively kills initial sense of introducing the graphs in OSD.

4. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    What font are u using?

5. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Nasalization

dr_rus, Unwinder and LocoDiceGR like this.
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  7. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH Member

With RTSS activated some (most) games are not visible/streamable in OBS Studio. I tried to play with the anti-cheat hook and multi-adapter comp. option in OBS but it seems to not work. I know that some games 'think' that this is something to cheat and blocking the app entirely but I never seen just a black screen. I think it's directly related to RTSS/MSI Afterburner.

I'm not sure how to debug this because it's not an 'traditional' error and OBS not really reports anything related which might help solving this. Before the final version comes out I hope we see a fix for this. I will ask in the OBS forum too but I already know the answer 'ask the MSI afterburner developer'.

I not really understand why MSI Afterburner isn't open source, because it would be easier to translate + help solving problems with the program. Well it's your decision but it's overall more time consuming if you keep closed and people need to send you things one-by-one instead of doing this over a provider which directly supports pull request, commits,....

8. Unwinder

Ever heard about NDA, closed hardware access protocols? No need to answer, it’s a rhetorical question and I know the answer. No need to start this “make it open source” related stuff here, because I find it pretty supid, sorry.

9. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH Member

There is no such thing as NDA 'closed' hardware access protocol, whatever that mean, otherwise the entire software would have been already flagged by AMD or nVidia. If you talk about the protocols by itself, DirectX isn't NDA nor Vulkan. I think the open source argument isn't stupid, especially because it can offer benefits.

So it's now impossible to get a useful bug report because there no instructions given how to debug it or how to access something which outputs the log. I see this again problematically.

10. Unwinder

There ARE non-public NDA hardware specs, private hardware access API, NDA voltage controller datasheets and a lot of other things inside MSI AB, which make it physically impossible to open source a project like that. If you don't understand those things, no need to claim that you do. You're free to flame about ideal open source world, but do it outside this thread PLEASE.

Also, it is absolutely not a case of not being able to get a useful bug report because it is OPEN SOURCE application that is refusing to function in context of your question, if MY hooks are not working - I easily track it down myself. And non-working OBS hooks should be resolved from that side, concepts of co-existing hooks and hook chains were introduced many years ago.

Once again, I _strongly_ ask you to avoid continuing pushing MSI AB open sourcing ideas here. I'll treat the next posts related to it as offtopic and will simply remove it without any further notes,

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

11. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH Member

Can you proof that? Please eMail me any of these so called NDA papers, papers aren't protocols btw. NDA hardware and your software has less in comon because you provide a software which is seriously not against NDA otherwise as said your software would be illegal and there exist alternatives (some of them are open source) most are closed but not because NDA more because the developer thinks that there will be clones around it and that he might not get enough money - but that's not an argument here since the tools is free.

I seriously doubt that after a driver got leaked and tons of people did 'voltage' testing on youtube that there exist some stuff which is 'hidden'.

You still not answered my question and just try to find useless arguments to not open your software which makes it impossible to talk here on a useful level, because 'it does not work' helps somehow? And that's all I can see in this thread. I ask again now for giving me/us instructions how to debug your closed source program to identify what's going on to fix the OBS problem (which you refuse to answer).

12. Unwinder

Are you joking or what?
    There is private NVAPI, which is available under NDA. There are private AMD/NVIDIA GPU registers reference, which are not available to everyone. There are private VRM datasheets. There are private AMD Ryzen programming specs (which is the reason why there is not Ryzen temps monitoring support in any open source tool).
    What you say is aggressively stupid and rude and you're leaving this place, sorry.

13. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH Member

The ryzen tools you're talking about are inaccurate. Even their own 'Ryzen Master' tool, or WattMan. And other tools are inaccurate too because exactly, there is no leak and the developer are integrating their own values into their tools. But there for sure not using any NDA paper otherwise we had correct values shown from the beginning. No I'm not joking, I just call you a liar if you can't prove anything you say here. I doubt that you tool uses any NDA specific thing, otherwise explain me how you got such papers if you haven't stolen it yourself? I am in over 100 forums and I never found any leak because there is none, which make me think you serisouly have something to hide. Maybe you decompiled their tools and just stole their source + their values which would be the only explanation why you can't open source it. But protocol wise there no NDA things or leaks.

I think only stupid thing here is to reject valid questions and you can't prove anytghing to me so I have huge doubts. You should't piss me off otherwise I decompile your program via IDA Pro now and look myself if you're a liar or just stole code from other programs and then I will report this directly to AMD and nVidia to ingvestigate this.

14. Unwinder

Threats is the last thing you can do here, aggressive impolite boy. Get your ban and forget about Guru3D forever.

15. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH Member

Most arrgogant developer I ever saw. Doesn't know crap .... I report your tool now.

16. Unwinder

Well, this behavior pattern never stops amazing me, it is really amazing to see how some people tend to make a short step from attempt to look helpful and thankful and saying something like "I hope we see a fix" in the beginning to absolutely idiotic "you just stole their source" and "I'll destroy you and your tool" in the end. Cannot say that such dialogs will stop me from development, but I know for sure that dialogs with such nice persons are one of the primary reasons why many freely distributed tools disappear from the scene one day.
    Anyway, back to coding :) At least while I can do it, because it is "reported" now, hehe

Haldi, Pholostan, yasamoka and 8 others like this.
  17. Unwinder

And now some fun for MSI Deutschland legal department. Guys working there have perfect reporting skill as well, and some haxor playing with copyright infringement definitively gonna lose GitHub account in addition to our local forum account :) Two lost accounts are better then one, eh?

https://github.com/CHEF-KOCH/MSI-Afterburner-RTSS-source-code

Pholostan likes this.
  18. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    posts #867; #869 and later: I'm re-reading those post over and over again and can't believe what I've been reading... someone got the bad weed today I guess :)

Alex, you have the nerves of steel, sometimes :D

edit
    Because of situations like this one we desperately need Dislike button here on G3D forum.... or at least WTF!? button, it would be much more appropriate.

jk for Dislike, but not kidding for WTF!? ;)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Unwinder likes this.
  19. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI (Notebook)
    Wow, what a weirdo. I am sure MSI can take care of it, but I also reported it for copyright infringement/piracy to get their attention while MSI is getting things in order. That's so unacceptable.

20. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend