Middle-earth: Shadow of War

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 12, 2017.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont even have witcher 3 or deux ex md installed if i install them i would have to uninstall other games, just to keep my hdd from slowing down even more then is already is, i buy them dont install them and or i do install em but dont play em

I do like shadow of mordor but i have not played in in month seeing i dont have access to my pc, let alone my ps4 and it few games :eek:

2. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    How do you get the texture pack and videos to download? When I go to do it the game just launches.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Ah yeah the five daily unique machine licenses or what it was called, nice to see a benchmark of the game even with that limitation. :)
    (CPU that's one limitation and GPU that's another so at a handful of CPU's and a multitude of GPU's that's going to become a problem with the activations required from changing those hardware components.)

Benchmark seems to be more demanding than the game which well there's multiple areas and enemy count and such varies too but overall the game appears to be pretty well optimized, I did drop the texture pack due to stuttering but at 2560x1440 -> 3840x2160 via scaled resolution the game still maintains a pretty good framerate though it's not full 60 everywhere.

Interesting Ryzen results too, probably a game patch will hopefully resolve whatever is going on there unless it's indication of a bigger issue which if so it's going to be something for a bios update I'm guessing.

4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I just installed those from the Steam command console.

Steam://open/console

And then in the client you have the console section and this command.

app_license_request 561950, 666840
    (First is the texture pack, second is the movie pack.)

And then that should register both of them. (Will not work on products you do not own or which are not free of course, good for getting free DLC without having the game trying to start however though the URL command Steam://install/ might work too followed by the DLC ID number.)

EDIT: Then either check the products in the Steam store website to see if they're registered as owned or right click on the game and see if they show up in the DLC tab, if unticked just tick them and the download should begin if it hasn't already been queued for download. :)

EDIT: As for tweaks well not much so far but this was in the dumped text strings for the game.

Render.Setting.AutoDetectedGPURating
    0=unknown, 1=very low, 2=low, 3=medium, 4=high, 5=very high
    C:\P4\KRAKEN_CODE_STREAM\source\Engine\Runtime\render\rendersettings.cpp
    Render.Setting.VSyncFrameRate
    Frame rate for VSync. 0 means no V-sync.
    Render.Setting.CPUFrameRateLimit
    CPU imposed frame rate limit. 1000 is max and means unlimited. 0 means Benchmark mode.
    Render.Setting.DepthofFieldToggle
    0=off, 1=on
    Render.Setting.AmbientOcclusionQuality
    0=off, 1=low quality, 2=medium quality, 3=high quality, 4=ultra quality, 5=cinematic quality (very expensive)
    Render.Setting.ShadowQuality
    Render.Setting.AntiAliasingQuality
    0=off, 1=fxaa, 2=temporalaa
    Render.Setting.MotionBlurQuality
    0=off, 1=camera + object blur
    Render.Setting.MeshQuality
    Render.Setting.LightingQuality
    0=low, 1=medium, 2=high, 3=ultra
    Render.Setting.HighMipCache
    Render.Setting.DynamicResolution
    Target frame rate for dynamic resolution. 0 means no DRS.
    Render.Setting.AspectRatioLock
    Render.Setting.VegetationQuality
    Render.Setting.TextureQuality
    Render.Setting.TextureFiltering
    Render.Setting.TessellationToggle

Only thing of note is AO capping out at 5 though setting the value to 4 or 5 in the config file manually (render.cfg) will show up as invalid string in-game though as far as I can tell 4 still has AO provided on objects though it doesn't really look all that different.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

5. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    is there include order independent transparency like previous game ?

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's no longer a limitation ;)

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah I noticed Codex bypassed the DRM yesterday, Total War Warhammer 2 got something like 10 hours before it was circumvented, Shadow of War appears to have at least managed a day though WB would probably have preferred a week though I don't really know what the licensing deal with D. actually is or how much it would cost for these bigger publishers so it did protect the game for a while at least.

Far as I know it's still just circumvented though, exe is probably still around 90 MB and it's fed a fake license or id (Forgot exactly how that worked.) so it's still there though not really protecting anything so all you get is a startup delay as it does a few checks. One of the reasons I prefer it when the DRM is properly patched out but at least the process is transparent enough so it's not too bothersome, until it is I guess and you run out of activation attempts and have no idea what that thing is doing in the background. :p

Who knows, perhaps WB will patch it out now though I highly doubt they will bother but you never know, although I am almost certain on that they'll just update it once the first patch rolls out.
    (And then that gets possibly cracked after a few days or less and the cycle repeats until continued support for the game stops once all DLC are out and maybe one or two final updates though even then there's games that were circumvented but never had the DRM patched out either.)

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Bypassed or removed entirely really doesn't make a difference for the end user because the DRM has failed to do its job ;) I'd love to see them remove it though, there's no need to keep that failing pile of garbage in after it has been btfo. I'll even at least consider buying it. Going by /r/crackwatch, the only things the user loses out on are shitty lootboxes and multiplayer content and the LB's aren't even a big deal in the end. Really unfortunate, let's see if all the bad press was worth it for them because it was a total buzzkill for me.

EA updated the D on Fifa18 in a patch and then went back to an old version in another. The scene even mocked them for it. Let them mess around with the protection, more laughs for me :p

I'm still tempted because it costs $42 in my steam store page and I loved the first game but nah. I'm content with watching the drm fail and hopefully the microtransactions from the PC side also fail. I really wanted this though, it and wolf were my two big games for the year. I've bought Wolf from cdkeys though. It might have the effin' D but alteast they'll be screwed over too because of the grey market lol.

Anyone insane enough to have completed the game already with the "real" ending or whatever? :p

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    There's videos so someone probably sat through doing the epilogue grind.

As for the game waiting on a better price or discount sale can actually be beneficial for some games, it would be patched up and have more content though whether the publisher removes the DRM or just keeps changing the version of it every time it's circumvented seems to be entirely random.

I wonder how those loot boxes have worked out too, the lesser ones can be bought with in-game currency but the good ones have to be earned with gold which is either purchased or very slowly accumulated via online activities, certain MMO and multi-player oriented games see massive profits from introducing these things though so I can understand why the practice is spreading.

Elder Scrolls Online had some people buying those gambling crates in the hundreds, think the cost is like 3$ each so that boosted profits and saw all sorts of things stuffed into these things a few updates later.

For this game though you get gear which is found pretty much everywhere plus it would be scaled to your level so early on it'd just get replaced a short while later or you can pick up some orcs but there doesn't seem to be major reason to buy those either as it's random and you can pick up orc captains in-game already even if it's a bit more work.

Though of course there's themed crates for gold currency too at higher rarity levels and I think one or two tribes of orcs were going to be DLC content in addition to the two story expansions.

Ubisoft did recently explain that the crates in Origins will be using in-game currency only, but it could always be patched to gauge consumer reactions and tweaked over time, I'm pretty sure these crates are here to stay considering how popular they've been so publishers expanding it into other games isn't too surprising especially since it seems it's still selling even if there's a smaller but more vocal group that is against it.

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's easier to exploit gambling/compulsive personalities aka whales in MMO's and Destiny/BF/CoD/CS but single player games attract a different audience. I don't think it will succeed because of the shorter length of such games v/s the other stuff which may even go on to many hundreds of hours. Why bother grinding when you can get rid of the game (consoles) and watch the real ending on Youtube? I know I didn't waste my time on Arkham Knight's riddler junk. No lootcrates would've changed that. Maybe polygon staff will purchase the cheat dlc's.

I've read in the featured steam reviews where people are complaining they usually get stuff from the LB's that are actually weaker than what they found in the world ... which is a good thing. This should at best be for someone who has had rotten luck. I'd rather it didn't exist though.

Waiting for a sale always pays off. It was the biggest reason why I rarely have issues in games because I tend to wait :p

I saw some footage of ACO and I laughed at the far cry style bows with controllable arrows and damage numbers. WTF have they done. After the wonder of the new environment, it's just boring ol' Assassin's creed. Meh. They can butcher the game all they want, I'll be there for the lols just like I was for ME:A :p

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Why do they still implement Denuvo if it gets neutered within 1 day?.. it seems like a complete waste of money for the developer to pay for it's "protection".

fantaskarsef and lucidus like this.
  12. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Because it didn't use to, and it'll take some time for executives to catch up, doubt they like paying them exorbitant amounts of money for nothing. After all, money is all they care about.

13. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    No waste of money, cos you get your money back if it gets cracked in the 1st three months.

Also denuvo x64 v4.6 still issnt cracked, only v4.5. But ofc, its just a matter of time.

Its funny they still brag on their website about Battlefront, Fifa 16 and Just Cause 3 beeing not cracked a long time. Those games are 2 years old...was a whole different story and time back then.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    MSI AB w/Reshade on can't capture the effects of Reshade

it'll snap the vanilla look of the game while Reshade screenshot key will capture all effects

15. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    Does anybody know which version of Denuvo Shadow of War was using before it got cracked by CODEX? I wonder if The Evil Within 2 is using the same version and if so, we be talking about this CODEX group in The Evil Within 2 thread, hehe.

16. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    The Evil Within 2 has no Denuvo. Bethesda decided to remove it beforehand.

Guru01 likes this.
  17. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    I will wait for a sale to buy ,as ive got the first one (GOTY) in my steam library and still haven't got around to playing it yet , in fact i have a massive game back log to catch up on, i do plan on buying the new Assassins creed game though :) as that looks pretty good so far :)

And for you that pirates this game ive read somewhere that the Devs have some sort of surprise for you , and there is certain features of the game that are unavailable in offline mode , but i don't know how true this is though

18. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    It thats true thats not only affecting pirate people but also people who play offline. If you have some more info that would be interesting.

19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The game was updated, only affected the exe file.
    https://steamdb.info/app/356190/depots/

Not sure what that is but Google seems to indicate some online service of sorts.

20. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Finally figured out how to get HDR working. I have to disconnect my other 2 monitors when I’m using my TV (even though they’re disabled while the tv is connected) and voila I can enable HDR in windows. It doesn’t even make the desktop look dull like so many people have reported. That and I finally found a 25’ HDMI cable that’ll pass a 4K60 4:2:2 HDR signal so now I’m playing this game in HDR at 4K, with variable resolution of course but those cutscenes sure look nice at 4K in HDR.