Windows 10 version 1511 Will No Longer Get Security updates

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Why not "halting" the support for win 10, generally, and forcing people to use win 11 SP4.2c? There have been huge improvement made with it's DX 13 ver. 666...

KissSh0t likes this.
  3. CitizenZero

CitizenZero Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Twin Frzr OC
    That sucks for Windows phones meaning no future apps will be developed for it....

rl66 likes this.
  4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    yes no more but not about that news... mobile version is already halted but doesn't depend on PC version.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Good! now stop tablet development :p

RzrTrek likes this.
  6. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    It's only a matter of time. Also, I give the "Surface" 2-in-1s about three more years of hanging on before they drop yet another endeavor leaving their customers with no support.

7. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    FWIW, I saw surfaces all over the place when I was in college...

Not saying I'd ever buy one but apparently some people found them useful.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    MS is shortening life cycle of older stuff. And forcing other things. Like MS office requiring at least once every 6 months to reactivate through online connection. (Hidden kills witch for active license... working like trial.)

9. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 560D
    Judging by Microsoft's decisions such as this, the built-in surveillance and many other pointless, ridiculous stuff they've been doing, I'll just use Windows 7 until even the web browsers are not compatible anymore.

10. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    Wasn't version 1511 the first windows 10 release? Man it's been nearly almost two years, why wouldn't people upgrade that version to something newer? I think I still have that version installed on a laptop somewhere, need to check that out soon.

11. cpy2

cpy2 Member Guru

GPU:
    Ti 4600
    Because it's the most useful uncut version of W10? I use it. Manual security updates are annoying but that's the price you pay for not being in W7. Which i might return to after seeing this.

Guru01 likes this.
  12. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    Oh nevermind, 1507 was the first release which came out in July, the 1511 was the second version.

13. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    I reverted all my systems to windows 7 a while ago now sadly since rs2

had to get a little creative with my alienware 17 laptop that was not windows 7 compatible but I found the drivers or in some cases cut up a driver and addded the info to INF but works great now

14. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Can we force the Fall Update. By using that Windows Installation file you can get from MS. Would do one I used for Creators update work with fall update or I gotta wait ?

15. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    OS still has plenty of bugs....

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Same, I keep trying 10, finding things wrong with it, then going back to 8.1...... it's quite frustrating seeing Microsoft focus on things that "in my opinion" don't matter or are poorly designed, or counter intuitive.

17. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    I was in a similar boat. I said "no way I am going to Win 10" - and was late to move to it from Win 7

However after giving it a decent go and learning to tweak it (get rid of all the unnecessary crap and background services/processes) I have to say Win 10 is better than Win 7 in every single way. Better performance, more stable, great customisation options, very flexible and handy for connecting / syncing apps cross-platform and so on.

I game for the most part and Win 10 is far better than Win 7 in this regard, so for that reason alone I would never go back to Win 7

18. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I see no reason for having win 10 and not updating. You have to be on the latest i guess to be fine.

I see no reason why people have to clean their new OS. that has always been MS problem. Can you give me a minimal and working OS and optional installing all the things just if you want after?

This will be a never ending argument for people.