Intel 8th Gen Coffee lake Processors Will Be Hard To Get - Availability Dramatic

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 6, 2017.

1. MKVII

MKVII Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    8700k will be mine. Coming from Ivy Bridge i5 it will be a true upgrade. I waited past 4790k 6700k 7700k, Ryzen. In truth any of those would still do me fine. But i'm glad i waited and will get 6 fastest cores for what i use them for and i can certainly wait a few months more for the market to get saturated.

I'm excited for my new build, and that's how i want to be when i build a new pc. If i was building a new pc every single cpu release i wouldn't be enthusiastic about that at all. It would be more of a pita than anything really..

2. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    It's not a paper launch when I can drive down to my local MicroCenter and purchase in i5-8600k for $249 or i5-8400 for $189.

What's stupid is you don't understand opportunity cost and other basic economic principals. People with higher incomes can easily justify the additional cost by looking at how much of their valuable time it could possibly take to find, tweak, and ensure the stability of a chip in order to reach their desired performance goal. Though this is an extreme example, i know a guy who makes more money in a week than the average Joe makes in a lifetime (yes, he makes about $100m/year) and would be all over this CPU. Heck, he'd buy one with an IHS of solid gold if they made one. Gotta stay in that top 100 chart of overwatch players right? lol.

3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That's because nobody is buying the i5s - mainstream and budget boards won't arrive until next year.

4. Alvaro66

Alvaro66 Guest

GPU:
    Nehalem 3.0Ghz
    What's the rush? just wait a year or two, and voilá you surely can have you Coffe Lake cpu. All of this rush is artificially induced. Calm down, think for while, you will be happier if you wait. Also you will have a chance to make a better decision later.

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    booting a coffeelake on a 100 or 200series chipset probably wont ever work due to an intentional change to a socket detect pin,might be possible to work around will a hardmod, not that you should, since many boards weren't designed to handle the extra power consumption, which is probably why they changed it in the first place

On the other hand, socket differences between kaby lake and coffee lake are purely power related, z370 probably is electrically compatible,not enough is known about the undocumented reserved pins on kabylake/skylake to know for sure, but they are similar enough that a kabylake cpu nearly posts in a z370 board , fails at graphics initalization (past cpu and memory init). that and the report from hilbert and others that intel is preventing board makers from allowing kabylake on z370 via firmware, leads me to believe with 90% certainty, that there is no physical reason that z370 can't support kabylake.

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    There might be a physical reason from the CPU's point of view, but it ought to still be possible for mobo manufacturers to bypass that reason if they specifically designed their mobos for it, that is, the mobo recognised if it's a Sky/Kaby or Coffee. That's one more reason why Intel would tell the mobo manufacturers not to do it no matter what since for its own arbitrary reasons Intel doesn't want them to be compatible.

7. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    8600K is available for Backorder ATM on newegg

8. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    I think 8700K is a big enough upgrade even for me coming from x99 platfpom and 5820K @ 4.5Ghz.
    The 7700K Single core performance combined with 6 cores, im sure ill get it to 5-5.2Ghz easily with a delid and later re-sell as pre-binned and wont loose much if at all.
    My next upgrade will be Cannon Lake if its 8 cores and z370 compatible and in theory it should because z390 is still 300 series, if it was different they would of named it Z470 or z490.
    If cannon lake is still 6 core but easy 5.5Ghz then i might get another 6 core.

The hard part was choosing a mobo, after x99 quality (I have x99 Sabertooth) than even the top mainstream feel cheap, i went for top Gigabyte model, Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 (DO NOT buy Asrock or MSI z370 boards if you care about SATA ports and M2, only Asus and Gigabyte ONLY!)

9. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    And did you get your money's worth? If not, did you contact its call center? :)

airbud7 likes this.
  10. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    I looked at the benchmarks and can say Intel has done a good job on this one. The X299 was just to try and take away as many sales against AMD nothing more and they succeeded. The 6 core 8700k owns the 1800x with 8 cores. I think alot of AMD fanboys are going to be sorry just like when "all you need is a i5 for gaming" trend was going. Those boys are crying now because there 4core/threads is struggling now. I use a very simply rule of thumb when buying a computer buy the fastest out there at the time. If i didnt have a 4790k i would upgrade but i dont see the point as i play my games well over 60 but going with the 7800k is a no brainer over anythng AMD offers. Mind you all i have owned mostly AMD cpus and will never go back as long as intel has the best single thread. I did some research not even the best thread ripper can beat my 4790k in single thread this is laughable

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I actually own both a Core i7 4790K and a Threadripper 1950X, and I place much greater value in the latter. When it comes to compute performance there is absolutely no comparison between the two - my 1950X outperforms my 4790K by almost 400%. There's a reason why my 4790K is now in my guest room, relegated to mining and light entertainment duties - my Ryzen systems are now my main drivers since they provide so much more computing power.

Although Coffee Lake may be significant for Intel fans, it does nothing for Ryzen users like me. I'm perfectly happy with my Ryzen 7 as a computing and gaming machine, and see Coffee Lake as little more than a sidegrade - I would see slightly less compute performance and virtually no difference in gaming, since I game at high settings on two GTX 1080s.

12. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I mean... like that's comparing apples and oranges right there (or in this case a mainstream vs workstation)... i'd be shocked if a 4790k was beating the 1950X... not only is it an old cpu at this point but also one that cost around 2.5-3 times less back when it was originally released...

I don't think i would recommend anyone who just wants to game to buy either a I9 or TR due to the fact they are not really made for games (though ofcourse they can do it, just cost wise they make zero sense). Much better to either grab the 1600x/1700x or 8600K/8700k for gaming/streaming etc

airbud7 likes this.
  13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I agree, and I did not buy a Threadripper for gaming. When it comes to CPUs, my primary consideration is grid computing (this means cores - lots of cores). For games, I focus on having the best GPU that I can afford.

14. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I think I will be upgrading to this here soon....I recently moved to a 120hz screen and pushing 100+ fps on my poor i5 @ 4.5ghz just isnt cutting it in some games haha. BF1 murders my processor as its pegged at 100% on all 4 cores. I feel a bit silly with my i5 and a gtx1080ti trying to push a 120hz ultrawide @ 3440x1440. I wanted to just pop in a 7700k in my motherboard but would feel dumb putting that money into a 7700k instead of the 8700k at this point but at the same time all I do is game and I am sure the difference would easily be justified. I will wait for the availability to be there before I jump on the 8700k, I can wait a couple months.

15. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    Tuff 4080 non OC
    People have different uses for computers. The point for me was AMD cant match single core performance even on there best chip. 8700k is a solid chip. The fact that the 1800x cant beat the 8700k just shows the chink in AMD armor. I just game so you can say the 4790k is old but still its not far off kaby.

airbud7 likes this.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Actually you would.
    Since already there can be siginicant differences with a single 1080Ti with coffee lake.

Are you getting 99% usage on your GPUs in all your games?

I got pretty much max usage on my old 980Ti SLI setup @1600mhz(which is faster than stock 1080s).
    No way ryzen will get close to that.

airbud7 likes this.
  17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The 1800X is faster than the 8700K in multicore tests. Of course it's lacking in single-core, but that was the case with Kaby Lake as well. The only thing special about the 8700K is the two additional cores, which provides a much-needed boost to multicore performance (compared to the 7700K).

If I was interested in just gaming, then I would stick with my 4790K and focus on having the best GPU. Even a FX can excel at 4K gaming so the choice of CPU doesn't really matter too much. Gaming has always been a GPU affair, and in my opinion, it always will be.

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes...and the i9-7980XE $2000 CPU can't beat out your 8700k in single core performance either

The i7-7820X $599 CPU can't beat out your 8700k in single core, either.

Your $359 CPU apparently does better then everything above it, because of obvious reasons: You're comparing outdated, pointless, useless single core performance in the multi-core age.

The fact that people are still trying to justify saying one CPU is better then another because they gimped both CPUs into only caring about single-core performance and then saying the cheaper processor is better due to the fact that since it has less cores, it has higher frequencies per core, is nonsense.
    lol.

DW75 likes this.
  19. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    So if I read in between the lines Intel was so desperate to get a cpu out there in the AMD market they released their 8700k coffee Lake series before they had pumped up production. Newegg wont have any till November 6th, again extrapolating information on their website, and my other website I shop on will be getting 12k 8700k delivered on October 26 a direct quote from them. So in reality the true release of the Coffee Lake is October 26th as far as I'm concerned. Intel indeed was running scared.:eek:-release them release them!

20. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    Are people never going to learn?
    Intel only do Paper Launches when under pressure. Which is why almost no one has one. Does anyone remember when AMD reached 1GHz? Intel said they had a chip that did the same, but came out about 2 months later.
    As for Intels strategy, its about screw everyone over, new Mobo, New Ram, New Chipset...
    Unless you are fortunate to have lots of money (to which the majority of us don't) then good luck to the people who buy this.

AMD has always been for the people when it comes to upgrades. They are Honest and tell you what will work.
    If it wasn't for AMD - we would all be running Intel Pentium 5's and not had dual core technology for the masses yet.