German webshop to sell Core i7 8700K with 99% silver heatspreader

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 7, 2017.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I showed my grandson the price....he was like...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  2. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    muahahahahahahahah

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah the price for the binning is insane, and going to be like that until there is sufficient stock. I do not see any of them especially caseking or ocuk (same company group) selling non binned 8700K for some time.
    They still sell 7700K at 5.2Ghz for £900/€1000/$1180 or 5.1Ghz at £600!!!!!!

3. Italia1

Italia1 Member

GPU:
    2x Sapphire 290x 4 GB
  4. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Damn, I think I could probably get top dollar for my old 130nm P4 with mayonaise on the heat spreader. I used the good stuff from whole foods, not the off-brand so a few degrees cooler.

airbud7 likes this.

5. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    I was wondering how the heck does der8auer make money for all those CPU's and GPU's he destroys, and all that evaporating nitrogen...

Now I know.

6. Belfaborac

Belfaborac Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 Ti
    You really have to be a special kind stupid to fork over that kind of dosh for a CPU which is pretty much guaranteed to reach 5GHz anyway, with 5.2 being less than unlikely with good cooling.

7. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    I seen some images of 100% copper replacement Lids for 7700K, any idea what shops do sell these? I will buy one for 8700K if its made for copper and below 50USD

8. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Bartx he makes replacement IHS for 7700K

http://www.bartxstore.cba.pl/pots.php / scroll to the bottom of the page

Koniakki likes this.
  9. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    You can save yourself $330 dollars and buy a binned 5.2ghz cpu on E-BAY for $439.00 albeit unable to use it to kill werewolves.

10. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    In real world use, it wouldn't really do very much under transfer. By itself, it does not flow, rather heat is transferred internally by the vibrations of atoms and molecules, the more free electrons you have, the more heat can spread from one part of the metal to another. Since you have the transfer through 2 mediums, one being the paste, you negate any real world benefits of Silver or copper because of the rate of heat transfer, which you can do the math but it could be reduced by a factor of 100 or more I'd suspect due to the paste alone, although if lapped well, it would yield a measurable amount with some value in very high overclocking but I can't see it worth the time or money over lapped aluminum and the value of lapping is still controversial..
    You would have to have the lid directly part of the heatsink for a correct method which I assume someone like Intel would have to do. I also know from conductive and thermal tests using Silver for audio cables, the end result was no better than copper and even copper alloy to some extents as far as noticeable from a user perspective. measurement data always looks good on paper though and you would still have to use a terrific liquid cooler..etc anyway so you're not going to save any money in that regard.

My dad's a metallurgist, I've toyed with the idea of silver or copper heat spreaders years ago when I was more into oc'ing and how a particular metal is fabricated at the microscopic level can make a difference too. No doubt for the extremist that's trying to break world speed CPU records, a pure silver heat spreader is a why not proposal but I'd consider direct fusion without a spreader and paste first.

tunejunky and airbud7 like this.

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Yea!...What Vibe Said^.....:D

12. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I am wondering if we can use liquid metal maybe thermal pads around the chip to even out the presure on the pcb of the cpu and mount a cooler on it with out heat spreader, will it make further diference?

13. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Do you mean Direct Die Cooling? You'd need a shim, otherwise if you over tighten even a little your just going to end up crushing the die

airbud7 likes this.
  14. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    I remember the times when this was the standard, but I honestly dont remember how the crushing was solved, i remember Athlons coming with 4 round sponged in corners, Intel had none.
    I wonder if anyone sells shims, this sound like nice idea, Liquid metal + AIO so no pressure from 1kg heatsink on the CPU and better cooling

airbud7 likes this.
  15. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I would much rather spend that money on a new Volta graphics card.

16. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    And how about putting depleted uranium, to make it more "atomic"? Or maybe even enriched uranium (plutonium) to REALLY do some significant overclocking... Positive side effect of it would be our contribution to the global disarmament...
    I'm getting sick of this lousy crap(n)tel's policy of selling do-it-yourself CPUs. Soon they will be selling a nylon bag with like couple of billion transistors plus conds, diodes and resistors, so we'll be amusing ourselves with assembling CPUs... The only more idiotic move had been done by the amd clowns, with that notorious "ability" to unlock the multiplier with "connecting" pins by drawing a line between pins with a pencil...

airbud7 likes this.
  17. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I'm pretty sure Intel made CPUs you could use that trick on as well. Although I think for them it was to change the CPU speed (BSEL). Anyone remember this?

18. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    Just for the record, gold has a much higher thermal resistance than copper or aluminium while silver is second only to diamond, which is by a big margin the most thermally conductive material.

19. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Loool^ cool stuff right there....Thanks DLD.

20. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this chickenshit sucker move by Intel is making me re-evaluate their stock.
    there is no way this can be done by anyone on this scale without a wink and a nod from Intel.
    this is a sucker move of the highest order by gleaning all the data including returns, if possible, from this "release"
    Intel is trying to have it both ways as a means of settling internal controversy over TIM. and oh yeah there are voices inside Intel about screwing the enthusiasts...but they haven't won any battles. and MEANWHILE these procs are outside the supply chain causing retail shortages.
    100% dick move.