The Ultra-wide club

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by wavetrex, Aug 29, 2017.

1. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    A place for people using ultra-wide screens as their main display, or have one of those rare ultra-wide TV's

Ultra-wide HD = 21:9 or 21:10 ratios
    Typical resolutions:
    - 2560x1080 (fairly common) - UWFHD
    - 3440x1440 (high-end ultrawide) - UWQHD

More rare (professional use):
    - 2560x1200 or 3440x1600

Future 5K Ultrawide UHD:
    - 5040x2160 ? Not sure if it exists, but they will certainly launch before the end of the decade

[​IMG]

Subjects:
    - Do you have such a monitor or TV ?
    - How is gaming on it ?
    - Any games you have tried and simply refused to work in your UW resolution? Or just looked plain bad
    - Are you using it for professional work ? How ?
    - Any problems, things you don't like ?
    - Do you think UHD (4K) is better or worse ?
    ... and so on

I could not find a topic for this (somewhat still rare due to price) format, so I asked...
    Thanks boss !

2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    So, I will start with first impressions about my new ASUS PG348Q, replacing a 27" DELL non-gaming monitor.

Main specs:
    - 3440x1440 UWQHD
    - 100Hz overclock with G-Sync
    - IPS with great colors (100%+ sRGB)

Pros:
    - Looks VERY nice
    - Huge screen without looking like a big tv on my desk
    - Impressive colors (IPS)
    - Smooth gaming at 100Hz with G-Sync
    - I just watched my first movie (Cinema format 2.39:1 and I can say I was blown away) - Best thing possible for watching movies at my desk

Cons:
    - Light bleed in all 4 corners, more visible on top unfortunately :( Not very bad, but totally noticeable in darkness and a dark scene
    - Heavy and the stand takes way too much - Might need a bigger desk !
    - It was really, REALLY expensive: 1150 euro. Auch !

~~~
    Gaming:
    So far I tried just a few games:
    - Path of Exile (it works perfectly at native resolution, and you can see more - Great for rangers/spellcasters)
    - EVE Online (sooo much space for windows !!!)
    - Crysis 1 (SMOOOTH on GTX1080, still looks gorgeous, good reason to play this old but great game again!)

(Will post some pictures later)

José Fernandes likes this.
  3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Hi wavetrex!

First of all kudos for this tread and for the new screen!

I´ve also become a member of the ultra wide monitors a month ago and my screen is the LG 34UC79G.

main specs:
    - 2560x1080 UWFHD
    - 144Hz with Freesync
    - IPS
    - slightly curved

Pros:
    - simple nice look with small bezels
    - ultra wide format
    - image quality due to the IPS panel
    - 144Hz refresh rate, everything is butter smoth!
    - price, "only" 500€!...

Cons:
    - heat, the screen gets a little hot after a few hours of house, must be because of the 100% brightness
    - resolution, the resolution is "insufficient" in certain situations and some images can become pixelated. It´s not a deal breaker but sometimes is noticeable.

In normal usage the UW format brings little benefits over a normal screen but in certain situations it helps having an wider screen. For example i no longer have to scroll left or right when i´m on the Guru3d forum like before and using Excel is also better for the same reason. Watching movies is also very cool when they support the 21:9 format.

Gaming:
    gaming in an ultra wide screen is simply an amazing experience!!! In games like Football Manager or Civilization the image just becomes wider. In 3rd person games like Witcher the image also becomes wider offering a better vision of what´s happening on screen.
    But where the ultra wide format really shines is on games with a first person view. Games like Doom, Deus Ex, Metro, Crysis and others simply come alive thanks to the wider screen. The ultra wide format is much more natural than normal monitors giving a much better view in FPS.
    In the particular case of my screen, the ultra wide format together with the 2560x1080 resolution, IPS panel and the 144Hz refresh rate, makes gaming a pleasure. The image is great and thanks to the high refresh rate i don´t remember the last time i had an hiccup or tearing with this monitor. And all this without using Freesync because i have an Nvidia card!

Conclusion, i´, so happy with my ultra wide that i don´t think i can ever go back to a normal monitor!...

Shataan likes this.
  4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Using custom 21:9 res, 3840x1620 on 40" Samsung Ku7000 TV which works quite well as a monitor. Its basically native res with top/bottom cropped off. 1:1 scaling makes it same razor sharpness as native res. Been through a lot of good monitors over the years, mostly 2560x1440p 100-120hz, but would not trade them back for this. Its 60hz but I'm OK with that and enjoy gaming on it more than before (nothing competitive or fast paced).

Have always harped on size, size, size = greater immersion, involvement, and still believe that.. just that 40" is probably a bit much for me (esp viewing height). Thats the reason for using the custom 21:9 res, to lower the viewing height by a few in inches to make comfortable viewing. Now feel its near perfect.. cannot go back to smaller screens.

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Which is why I went from a 24" to a 28", visual immersion. At the distance I keep the monitor from myself, it fills my field of vision without being uncomfortable.

6. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    I just played some Doom on it. Works perfectly and looks gorgeous !

GTX 1080 is able to maintain between 70 to 90 fps on the UWQHD resolution, perfectly in range of G-Sync making the experience great !
    I even "suprised" myself on how well I could aim and fire at the demons in this fast paced game, something which was problematic on the previous Dell ( was failing a lot )

Other games that I tried and worked on Ultra-Wide:
    - Black Mesa ( HL2 mod ) ... with the observations that objects near the edges are deformed. Game engine wasn't built to render so wide
    - Titan Quest Anniversary Edition - Old engine, but updated. So good to see so much of the world ! Even aim at mobs before they see me ( it's a bit of a cheat )
    - Metro 2033 Redux - Looks gorgeous, but GTX 1080 is unable to maintain consistent frames with max quality. I had to reduce antialias for it to work
    - Serious Sam Fusion (2017) - Perfect ! And those wide fields... on ultra-wide... gorgeous !
    - Cities Skylines - Looks fantastic ! However, because there's more buildings to render on a wider screen, my CPU is struggling. FPS sometime dipped below 35, making the game stutter. I should probably lower the quality a bit...

7. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Just got a Acer Predator z35p 35" curved ultrawide running 3440x1440 @ 120hz with gsync. Its amazing. It was insanely expensive....$1100 but worth it to me. I also got a GTX1080ti to power it and it does a great job. The viewing angles are good, but not as good as the IPS ultrawide I came from. Its such a huge improvement over 75hz freesync. This is the second ultrawide I have purchased and I will never go back. At this size of screen the boost from 2560x1080 to 3440x1440 is absolutely worth it. I will say its not quite as noticeable in games as it is browser and desktop application but its still there in games enough that im glad i took the plunge. Especially games where aliasing is prominent such as Witcher 3 with all the trees and such.

8. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I put a Samsung C34F791 on my desk a few days ago. The size is just great, coming from a "regular" 27" monitor :D
    What I still have to check is if I like the speed (old monitor was 120Hz TN, new one is 100Hz VA) and the matte surface (old was glossy).

Another thing I'll never be a friend of, as it seems, is DisplayPort. It never seems to work well for me. Can't count how often I reset my PC only to find out it was the stupid DP connecton.

If someone else stepped up from a 1080p screen to 1440p or above, how are your experiences with this? It's still a mixed bag for me, but then this screen has a "sharpness" feature. Maybe that does some weird things here...

9. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I went from 2560x1080 to 3440x1440. As I mentioned above, the biggest difference is on the desktop, the crispness of web pages and other text is greatly improved. Games are improved too but some def more than others. For example, The Witcher 3 has a ton of vegetation/trees that have a lot of aliasing to begin with- the bump in resolution was huge for reducing the aliasing. The same with buildings in the distance that were really jagged, they now look much better. Prey on the other hand does not look drastically different but I can tell for sure. Its just not as profound as with The Witcher 3. Overall its a big enough difference that I am really happy with it.

@ Radical_53 I would disable any type of "features" like that. My monitor has all these game modes that just make everything overly bright and intensely sharp. Looks like garbage.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  10. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Thanks. Well the feature is more like on my TV, where you can't disable it but set it from 0 to 100 (zero doesn't mean off but is really blurry).
    Guess I'll have to play around with it a little. I still have to get used to the gritty surface. All my other screens have always, and still are, glossy.
    Yesterday I calibrated the screen and the difference was much smaller than ok my previous monitors, which I guess is a good thing :)

I'm as happy as you with the higher resolution and sceeen space in games like Project Cars. It was impossible to get rid of the jaggies before, now the picture is quite clean.
    Still, the higher resolution is nowhere close to something like "Retina" or typical 4K stuff.
    On the other hand, I guess I wanted that due to the hardware needs of the highest resolutions.

11. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    My short review of LG 34UC79G - 34" Curved UltraWide Gaming Monitor.

[​IMG]
    • Design - Simple & elegance, I love that little red bar, the back also very nice with few simple red and black combination, just it is for back can't really see it after setup. Haha!
    • Resolution - It is 2560x1080 not full 2k where I previously using 2560x1440 a 2k display. But lucky the horizontal still is 2560, for this part I find it not too much differences beside need scroll more when viewing website or reading. 34" UltraWide is kind of similar with 27" wide but longer, this is one of the reason I not picking 3440x1440 as this resolution at 34" UltraWide will be probably too small font size in 100% scaling as I find the font is ok only with wide 32" not 27". Another reason is currently I am only use it to connect to my laptop where only have HDMI 1.4 that is capable for up to 2560x1440 60hz. If running 3440x1440 will down to 50hz only. I very happy and thankful now I manage to run at 75hz at 2560x1080. I know this monitor is capable of 144hz but I can't test it now due to HDMI 1.4 and now I know why people prefer higher hz already, as even at 75hz I already can see the differences in gaming, this part really need personally see it as wording can't describe and proof it.
    • Display Quality - Before that I am so worry the monitor will be not enough sharp as 1920x1080 at some wide 27" is not enough sharpness, but thankfully they is no worried on this part, it is sharp enough in this monitor, the font is crispy clear by default. The default custom setting is well done and perfect without any tuning required, the only I change is reduce the brightness from 100% to 65%. The color output is well perfect and nice. As for gaming setting frank speak is rubbish, why LG turn the sharpness to 100%, it looks extremely awful to me. Lucky the custom (gaming) setting can change the sharpness but the white balance is not something I prefer. Another mode I will use is the cinema mode which make watching video very appealing. The Default Custom mode is my default now as it is well balance and nice punchy color output. Cinema mode will be the mode I use when want to watch video.
      In summary - this monitor is the best display I ever own, it is one step ahead and nicer than my previous already great looking ViewSonic 32" VX3209-2K display.
    • Gaming - It is another level feel of gaming in 21:9 UltraWide screen, no regret joining this UltraWide Club. :D :D :D
    Will I back to Normal Wide? Definitely not! UltraWide is my only choice monitor now. :D

The awesome back look - I can only seen it by side, haha!
    [​IMG]

The actual screenshot of apps/games in 2560x1080 UltraWide.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rise of the Tomb Raider
    [​IMG]

Diablo III - Reaper of Souls
    [​IMG]

BioShock Infinite
    [​IMG]

Path of Exile
    [​IMG]

12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Oh look a monitor just like mine! And were i was thinking i was the only one with that screen...:)

More seriously, it´s a great monitor with some great specs and features. About the resolution, it´s possible to create a custom resolution of 3440x1440@120Mhz but the fonts become small so you need to increase the scaling to 125%.
    Also it´s a shame you can´t use Displayport to get access to the 144Hz refresh rate because it eliminates stutter and everything becomes super smooth! It´s really worth it!
    About the settings we can use with the screen , i only use the normal setting, all the others are worse or worthless...

Silly question, how much did you pay for it???

Congrats on the new monitor and enjoy it!

BTW, try Doom on that screen, it´s really amazing! It´s like the game was made for ultrawide monitors.

13. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    No choice for now due to limitation on my laptop. Probably next year I will build a new gaming PC for take full advantage of this display. :)

I from Malaysia, I buy at price of RM 2,389.00 which equal to USD $ 570.17, this is the cheapest price I can find so far from Malaysia local online seller.

I will definitely try out Doom soon. ;)

14. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    Yes! My LG 34UC79G monitor now is running 95hz refresh rate in 2560x1080 after setting the custom refresh rate. :):cool::D

Run UFO Frame Skipping Checker is 100% no frame skip. :rolleyes:

At least now I not feel that waste of this LG 34UC79G which capable of 144hz refresh rate and able to enjoy even much smoother experience especially in FPS games.

Also I can conclude HDMI 1.4 is able to run 95hz refresh rate under resolution of 2560x1080. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    I have the LG 29UM69G-B, 75hz and 2560x1080, good enough for me. I've have a 35" and 34" before, not worth the size for me. I'll wait till they make affordable 34" 1440p monitors, only then i consider stepping up.

1080p at 34" is cool and all, but it sits too close in my face so pixels get visually clearer.

16. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    29" too small for me, thus I prefer 34" :) As for 1440p I not choosing because my laptop is only Geforece 970M. 3440x1440 is too heavy for my GPU already. :)

signex likes this.
  17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    When i was upstairs with my rig, 34" was no problem at 1080p, but i moved downstairs with a new desk and it doesn't have that much depth so the monitor is very close to my face.
    Thus 34" isn't a good choice for that, now i just have to move my eyes else i'd probably have to move my head alot wich is not ideal. :)

And the pixel density is very good, text and all is very crisp and smooth like it was when i had a 1440p 27" for the first time.

No my GPU wouldn't be able to handle 1440p ultrawide either, not to mention i'd run out of vram instantly hehe. :p

EDIT: Oh btw, this is also towards other ultrawide users, i recommend using Wallpaper Engine, it's only 3,99 on steam.
    They have plenty of 21:9 animated wallpapers, and it doesn't use alot of resources.
    http://prntscr.com/go9ezz

When you're in-game or have a browser open it pauses and uses only a very little ram.

Andrewtst likes this.
  18. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    I saw 49" ultra wide at Costco and it was horrible. The horizontal resolution is great, but not the vertical resolution. Plus curved is a gimmick,, they had 1 curved there and 15 regular mons. Curved is horrible..

IcarusLSC likes this.
  19. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    Can't believe the LG 34" 34UC79G really can run at 3440x1440 resolution by using CRU change the EDID... but that "Out of Range" warning from monitor cannot disable, technically means cannot use.

Do you know how to disable LG monitor warning of "out of range".

[​IMG]

20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Hi Andrewstst,

how did you "created" that resolution??? In my case i use Nvidia control panel to create a custom resolution and then applied it and i didn´t get any warning about it. Maybe that´s the "problem".

I think i´ve just remembered why that warning appears. It´s because of the refresh rate. The monitor can accept the 3440x1440 resolution but it can´t keep the maximum refresh rate of 144Hz. In my case i have to lower the RR to 120Hz and it works perfectly.

By the way i don´t know if this harms the screen in any way, so do this at your own risk!!! It´s also advisable to ask more experienced users if this is ok for the long run or not.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017