Intel 8th Gen Coffee lake Processors Will Be Hard To Get - Availability Dramatic

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    nz3777 and signex like this.
  2. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    Thanks but no Thanks Intel, I am going for Ryzen :).
    The gaming performance is great now, it's not like AMD FX vs I7 , plus in Ryzen I get more core for future proof and my expensive MB will serve me on next Ryzen CPU too, not like Intel and their New MB twice in a Year!.
    If you don't want to be stuck @ 6C/12T Tick&Tock for the Next 10 Years help the competition and Go AMD! :).

jura11 and nz3777 like this.
  3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Almost took the bait and bought a Z370 board and a 8350K, but seeing the benchmarks it's not worth the extra investment.
    Them boards look gorgeous though, i wanted to get the Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming it costs less then closest AM4 version.

Z370 costs 189,99 euro, X370 217,99 euro.

4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Amen to that Bigmomma lol.I dont know this whole thing seems kinda shady to me Intel never had problems as far as I can remember putting out product, Looking at Micro centers site they have Only i5-8400 coffee lake which is selling for $249.99, This is really weird who the hell knows whats really behind it.Plus they are charging way to much as it is I am going Ryzen 90% sure so far. Also not cool for retailers ripping people off that much,I take that as a Major spit in the face!!

I love the z370 series boards as well, i was already planning on which one I wanted to buy,The Asus board or Msi godlike I think it was? Yupp Go Amd!!! Alot of us are behind you 100%, take it to em boys!

jura11 and signex like this.

5. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    It is not worth it.No IPC improvements over Kaby Lake ,just higher clocks with considerably higher temperatures.Deliding is obligatory if you want to oc or some high end (read very expensive) water cooling but you should do very likely both.The POS TIM that Intel is using simply can not withstand 6 cores CPU.

signex likes this.
  6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    A friend asked if I followed the PC hardware development since he's about to build a new gaming computer. I adviced to wait a little to see how Coffee Lake is about to perform since it's to be released very soon. I had no idea Intel was doing a paper launch in practice. I guess I'll have to inform him of this unless he already noticed it by himself. He was considering a Ryzen system anyway (no wonder before Coffee Lake), so maybe it doesn't matter much.

7. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I will stick to my i5 7600k, also clocked 5.0. Will be good for 2-3 years for sure . i5 8600k would be perfect for me but i would have to wait alot and cost would be much higher now , not worth for me ...

8. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Yeah I feel you; had I not half-killed my former rig with beer I'd still be rocking my 4.9GHz 2600k. Mental processor.

Solfaur likes this.
  9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Lol you what? Well, at least beer is always a reasonably good reason to kill hardware ;)

Silva and airbud7 like this.
  10. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    He could be arrested for GCH (Grievous Computer Harm) :D

11. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Haha indeed it's on the more reasonable spectrum of reasons for killing hardware but it's not as glamorous as it sounds either; I would have at least preferred for there to be a party accident or something.

At some point my case power button broke so I was keeping the rig open and inclined at maybe 60 degrees against a big box so I could power it on easily from the button on the mobo. The case was on the ground near the desk.
    One night I was just enjoying some beer and games when I accidentally gave the beer bottle a good tug. I did catch the beer before it tripped but the sheer panic made me do it poorly enough such that I sprayed the surroundings with beer.

Of course, the case being both open AND inclined didn't help matters.
    The GPU (GTX 970) received the brunt of the damage, a few drops near the PCI-E power connectors killed something in there such that it's not receiving PCI-E power anymore.
    The mobo got a few drops too and it refuses to POST with more than 2 RAM sticks in it (since I had 4x4GB in there, I was effectively limited to 8GB which is clearly not enough for my audio production hobby).

Now, I would have just upgraded the GPU but I didn't feel happy about spending 300EUR on a crappy H61 mobo (I had a Z68, mind you); I would effectively be paying for a huge downgrade.

So I just went on and used this incident as an excuse to get a new rig.
    Fortunately the rest was intact so I may still find uses for it (NAS, web server?).

12. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    that's one way to kill a machine XD

I'm still rocking a 2700k at 4.6ghz, sadly my chip wasn't the best with 1.32v it was too instable at 4.7... 4.6 is fine though :p not much difference between 4.6 and 4.8ghz

13. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Yeah I know what you mean, it's not always worth the risk if you're looking for a 24/7 overclock.
    I wasn't keeping it at 4.9 all the time either as it required quite a bit of voltage at 1.35V. I felt much safer with 4.6 at 1.3V. Pretty crazy how it required so much voltage after that point.

14. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, if CPU's were seeing massive increases over the years i might have risked it to keep up performance, but at the time i was running the thing 24/7 (half due to slow HDD's back then) But being at 1.32 i do feel is the nice sweet number for me, i reckon with tweeks i could have pushed it down to 1.31, but i could never be bothered to play with it too much after i got the damn thing stable :p i've seen ton of people pushing 1.48v just to get 5ghz~

8700k might end up being my next processor of choice, gotta say it does not need that much more voltage to clock higher which is nice... 1.385v for 5.2ghz all cores is amazing considering i'm doing 4.6ghz all cores at 1.32

15. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    The 8700k is definitely a tempting processor, if I were building a rig right now I would actually trade some multicore performance for some single-core performance as I'm currently gaming at 1080p 144Hz. Been meaning to get a 1440p 144Hz monitor soon.
    The 1600X is still a strong contender though, it beats the crap out of both the 8700k and the 1700X in price/performance. You can't ask for more in 60Hz gaming.

16. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i game at 165hz 1440p, so single core performance often is king on that front... though 1600x is performance king that much is true. just a shame it basically has no overclocking room... maybe the 2600x when it comes out next year might improve on this, sadly i don't know if i could wait any longer than i already have for a PC XD

17. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    HH just checked overclockers, seems all those pre-binned chips have sold crazy enough... Guess to some people money is no object haha... i cannot get paying 799 for a 5.2ghz chip... maybe paying 400 a bit more for a nice pre-binned chip but 799 nope :p

Edit... they also only come with a 1 year warranty XD come on the e-retailers are just milking this massively now

18. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I don't remember when Intel had low availability on products, I thought that was the thing people liked to use to make puns at AMD.

Solfaur likes this.
  19. ivan

ivan Guest

Good job Intel, yet another great tactic to push your loyal customers away. :rolleyes:

20. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 560D
    £300 for 0.2 extra GHz.

o_O