Review: Intel Core i7 8700K processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 5, 2017.

1. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Are you crazy ??? We are talking about Intel here ,of course Z370 and Z390 want be compatible there is revenue to be worried about and do not let me start talking about shareholder ROI,stock prices etc... . :):););)

Silva likes this.
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    look to future kind worked out well for me I kept putting off replacing my i7 920 + 6gb 1600mhz ram for 3+ years till i broke down and got a 6700k with 16gb 2400mhz ram sorta kinda ?. it does annoy me for the price i payed for the 6700k I could get 8700k with faster stp and 6c/12t.

6700k is still over kill for what i use it for and my 660gtx is weaklink in the system. that i still waiting to replaced. the only game the really benefited from this upgrade was swtor cause it only give damn about STP of the cpu which the 6700k incresed my min fps by about 25 fps so i went from 10 to 35 in worse case and mostliy stick to 45~60 now as of now no i game i have maxes out the i7 920 usage wise and still no game i have maxes out the cpu usage wise on the 6700k. and if most useage is on 1 or 2 cores it never will.

I am hoping this 6700k will serve me well for atlest another3~4 years as i only put this build together about year and 3 months ago

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Link?

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I will like a link too? if that how long i have to wait to volta i will get get refresh next year

5. eddieobscurant

eddieobscurant Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950 2gb
    Excellent review Hilbert, although i think you should reconfigure the handbrake transcoding test as it isn't representative of the cpus abilities. Either you sample is too small or the preset you 're using doesn't use all threads (fast presets usually don't) , or possibly both.

I would recommend at least a 2gb 1080p file with HQ or SuperHQ 1080p30 Surround preset. Also an additional hevc/h.265 preset would have been nice for comparison since intel's cpus seem to be faster at that while amd's are better at h.264

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Already in progress. Designed a new test a few weeks ago with the newest handbrake build. Currently I am rebuilding the result set with many-core design in mind. However since all procs in the past went back to Intel and since Intel doesn't send out any new samples, the rebuilding of that result set is slow.

Silva, eddieobscurant and airbud7 like this.
  7. krakenxt

krakenxt Guest

GPU:
    AMD
    Ryzen 2 will obviously support faster RAMs. Your current x370 boards would be virtually worthless when it'll bottleneck the new CPU with slow DDR4 speeds. Ryzen+ is just Zen uno, so it's still yesterday's performance and nothing exciting. AMD is bound to what they hate to be, and that is the budget brand.

RzrTrek likes this.
  8. SubtleOne

SubtleOne Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 Amp!
    Not exactly. While there are certainly buyers of high-range CPUs and video cards, these represent a very small percentage of the market. The midrange is where the money is at, with better profit margins than low-end, and far better volume than the high-end. Just look at the ultimate sweetspot for video cards: $150-200. Right now, as Hilbert showed very well, AMD has a fantastic 1600x that has almost no serious competition.

For example, in the US, the 1600x is easily found for $199, and even for as little as $170. Combine that with very decent B350 motherboards for $90 ($70 after rebate), and $160 for 16GB of DDR4 memory (2666MHz), plus $30-40 for a decent cooler and the package can be had for about $450. Hexa-core and 12 threads.

Take that same setup with an i5-8600k, which is expected to be $260, Z370 mobos which are $150 at the cheap end (without stooping for the absolute cheapest), rest the same as above, and it is now over $600.

That is a huge difference.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    jdc2389 likes this.
  9. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    Price to performance, there you go, WRONG.
    6 core no extra threads with a palty 9mb of l3 cache and 16 lanes
    Speculation, man you're such an annoying tool. BY THE WAY, the 1700/x is an 8 core 16 thread monster for cheaper, best value currently bar none. That said, this cpu is quite nice for high hz gaming especially if you can get lucky on the silicon lottery.

10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I knew it would kick Ryzen's butt....whats with all the amd crybabys? ...:D

RzrTrek likes this.

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I honestly wasn't too impressed by the 8700K, but the 8600K seems to be the sweet spot for high performance budget gaming, but I will hold off with my purchase for now and wait for Volta.

Silva likes this.
  12. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    I think HH picked the 1600 not only because of the same c/t count but because its clocks make it the "best" gaming Ryzen w/o overclocking. I do agree though, that highlighting the 1700X too, would help avoid reader's bias for multi-threaded performance.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    His behind.

Imo volta will.most definitely be out next year, probably ~March - May time frame.

14. krakenxt

krakenxt Guest

GPU:
    AMD
    AMD fanbase is the vocal minority when compared to Nvidia and Intel. It's always damn Nvidia this, damn Intel that in every social media and PC hardware website as if AMD is investing $$$ in the shilling department.

airbud7 and RzrTrek like this.
  15. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    More releases,more problems. Intel flood the market with so many cpus,so users dont know what to buy,but only Intel(in the Intel's dark mind). :)

Still Ryzen 1600-1700 are best buy vs Intel new cpu & chipset releases (btw Intel release more sockets & chipsets,because users need to be dizzy with the Intel's offer).
    Price vs preformance.

16. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    totally agree^....I was kidding around/ Lol....1600x is only $199.99 and a damn good deal!

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Looks ole I'm waiting still. Oh the 8700k is a nice CPU just like the 1600x/1700x are nice CPU's but I've held out this long may as well wait for Zen+ and z390 middle of next year.

Now if my 2600k were to die I would likely be in for quite the decision.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    More choices for consumers, glad Intel stood up. Price could be better, but cant expect so much from money giant.

Now regarding Guru3D site availability yesterday.
    I couldn’t access review, due to site load.
    I watched 3 youtube reviews before I been able to load most pages.

Please consider temprory additing webservers during review release. Its really annoying not to be able read review as excitement reaches its climax.

19. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    After vega came out intel released some kind of statement saying volta wouldn't be out for a 'very long time' or something to that effect.

I woulf be over the moon if it came out in march but I really doubt it.

20. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Not here but on our neighbour yes 419Euro in France aviable around 7 day, 390Euro in spain with 2 week of delay.