MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Got this weird alarm result on OSD when switching into a DSR 4x resolution in Gone Home yesterday:

[​IMG]

Switching back into native fixed it - or at least it didn't happen at native res performance levels.

It almost looks like the tag coloring the GPU 99% usage in graph isn't closed or something =)

2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    OK, but what about this?

Edit: never mind I suspect same answer.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

If you set alarm level to 1.6 but top visible limit to 1.5, it is logical to expect that 1.6 will be invisible :)

4. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Ah, now I got it (horizontal line to show and is alarmed at 1.5V.)

5. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I am water cooled. So if I have a pump failure I now have a high temp alarm and a voltage alarm if needed. :D
    [​IMG]

6. Unwinder

Reproduced, it happens on monochrome layouts. Fixed.

7. Unwinder

I see you also defined alarm for minimum 0V voltage threshold. What's a sense in doing that?

8. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Well my main reason was only concerning high limit so I set that at 1.5 and assumed 0 was default low limit. But now I see I can set low limit at blank and now it makes more sense.
    Another brain fart for the old fart.
    Thanks

9. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080N x2
    I have to make these changes in the config files I assume? I couldn't right click or double click or anything in the basic GUI adjustment window, even on beta 18.

10. Unwinder

No, you don't have to edit config. You DO have to read the context help for editor window.

11. ivanosky

ivanosky Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3060
    Hello, it's there a way for the data from a plugin to appear on the same line as the data from AB in the OSD. I'm using the HWinfo plugin to get the GPU Temperature and GPU Usage for the NVIDIA GPU on my Optimus Laptop (Since AB stopped showing those since Beta 8), but the data appears in a different line than the GPU data from AB, even when the Group name is the same. As a workaround I'm getting all the GPU data from HWinfo so that it displays in a single line. Hope this helps other Optimus Laptop users out there.

12. Unwinder

In modern layout it is not enough to have the same group name to get the values in the same group. Group name formatting (color, font size) must be also the same to see the values grouped.

13. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080N x2
    Okay, success thanks to tooltips (which for some reason didn't work until I restarted Afterburner, I almost reported it as a bug). Now I have my stuff set up nicely.
    [​IMG]

Just need to fiddle with some colours more and I'll be good. Now, the last question that eludes me: how do I get CPU VID in the readouts? I cannot see it in the options, but there is an option for CPU VID in the group additions. Is it a similar case like what I had to do for my GPU voltage to show up?

14. Unwinder

There is no option CPU voltage in the group additions as well, you're confusing something. There is GPU voltage only, the only CPU related readings natively supported by AB core are CPU usage, temperature and clock (for limited set of CPU families). CPU voltage can be imported from AIDA or HwInfo plugin. Or, alternately, you can now develop a plugin and implement native CPU voltagre monitoring yourself and share it with community. The plugin API contains the functionality allowing implementing it on both Intel (MSR access) and AMD (PCI configuration space access) CPU sides.

15. Unwinder

And a bit of humor related to different personal preferences, not everyone seem to be happy with new look of modern layout, it makes some fans of classic layout really angry:

"It just now looks like it was laid out by a circus monkey. Whoever made that decision should be *fired* and blacklisted from any software development job in the future."

Sadly I cannot *fire* and blacklist myself from development, lol :)

boogieman likes this.

16. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Meh, he can still use the classic OSD if he wants, we have to many options to customize it, right now, no one can argue with that.

17. Unwinder

All

I'm focusing entirely on polishing and finalizing Vega support today and tomorrow. That's what I've already implemented today, probably something else can be added to the list during weekend:

- Low-level Vega GPU family support, so now MS AB can work with this hardware directly and bypass some AMD ADL API limitations (e.g. bypass limited AMD's native voltage control).
    - Low-level voltage control via direct access to SMC microcontroller, so voltage is adjusted in offset form now, applied to all P-states (just like it was on Fiji/Polaris) and full -100..+100 range is available now.
    - Extended low-level monitoring, so extended things like HBM temperature sensor and GPU package power sensors are now available in hardware monitoring module. It is beyond of my understanding why AMD refuse to support those things natively in their ADL API, this could make implementation much more transparent and collision ____safe____ for third party software.

Most likely new beta will be available on Monday. And we're getting really close to full 4.4.0 release.

cookieboyeli, D2 Ultima, mirh and 3 others like this.
  18. Unwinder

New beta 19 is online:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

Changes list includes:

· Added low-level AMD Vega 10 graphics processors family support. This means that now MSI AB can access this GPU directly without AMD ADL API, so more powerful voltage control (no longer limited by AMD ADL API) and extended and more efficient low-level hardware monitoring are available for Vega now
    · Core voltage control for reference design AMD Vega series cards is now performed via low-level access to on-die SMC microcontroller. Voltage is adjusted in offset form now, applied to all P-states (just like it was on Fiji/Polaris) and full -100..+100 range is available
    · Added GPU power draw graph to hardware monitoring module for AMD Vega series graphics cards
    · Added HBM memory temperature graph to hardware monitoring module for AMD Vega series graphics cards
    · Improved voltage offset calculation accuracy for AMD Fiji, Ellesmere and Baffin GPU families
    · Improved voltage offset programming reliability on AMD Ellesmere and Baffin GPU families
    · Fixed stuck GPU usage and memory controller usage monitoring on AMD Radeon RX 500 series under 17.6.1 and newer drivers
    - Fixed issue with opening wrong graph properties under certain conditions when right clicking a graph in hardware monitoring window and selecting “Properties” command from the context menu
    - Fixed issue with wrong alarm threshold visualization on the graph label in OSD for monochrome OSD layouts
    - Improved plugins:
    + Data sources exported by plugins no longer share the same MONITORING_SOURCE_ID_UNKNOWN data source identifier, which means that now you can define independent custom formatting (e.g. group colors) for plugin specific data sources in OSD layout editor
    + PerfCounter plugin has been improved to handle corrupted registry performance counters list on some systems and to be able to access at least the part of performance counters available on the system in such case
    - I've temporarily signed both installer and application executable with my own signature.

OnnA, Vulkan, bigcid1 and 5 others like this.
  19. Unwinder

All

That's probably one of the last 4.4.0 betas before the final release, there are no more major functionality changes planned for 4.4.0 and I focus entirely on polishing existing things. Final release is scheduled approximately on November, so those who work on translating MSI Afterburner GUI to other languages can start sending me updated localization packs.

Vulkan likes this.
  20. gatecrasher

gatecrasher Guest

GPU:
    8GB GTX 1070
    Would it be possible for OSD layout settings to be saved in profiles?
    I'd prefer to have different settings used depending on what is being displayed. E.g. different graph settings.

It's a minor thing, but I wonder if the units should also change color when an alarm is triggered?
    [​IMG]