Intel Optane SSD 900P Specs - Launches end of October

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Who are these being marketed to?

"Wait a while longer to buy a SSD that is slower than the ones you can buy today."

3. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Optane really would have been great 5+ years ago when SSD's were still fairly new and not many people had them, these would have sold like hot cakes to actually boost HDD speeds.... But typically everyone has SSD's in their machines now, even if it's only a small one to hold the OS. it's quite hard to buy a laptop of a computer that doesn't come with one

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Surely these sizes aren't anymore meant for the same automatic caching thing as the 16/32GB models? These are already real SSD sizes, so they would have room for a direct install of the OS and some programs already. In other words, shouldn't these work also on systems not sporting Kaby Lake era chipsets or newer?

5. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    I'm waiting for the 1500GB 900p :)

6. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    For people that don't know what it is ;)

7. Alvaro66

Alvaro66 Guest

GPU:
    Nehalem 3.0Ghz
    Agreed, and it's another money grabber product from intel, maybe 2000$ in the us and perhaps 3000 euros on europe.
    Anyway I'll wait till they reach those announced "1000 times faster" than NAND, and be at the current SSD prices. OK OK maybe I'll settle for 100 times faster. That will be good enough :)
    Anyway it's not only Intel's fault for being what they are, a lot of consumers go for Intel. Those consumers don't understand if there is no competition Intel would still be selling Core 2 duo's, and perhaps selling celerons at 350$. Now as an Intel consumer isn't that great? So great I can't resist buying 2 or 3 of those Celerons and have a big smile on my face :)

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Why go for one of these over a 960 Pro or EVO for that sake if the price isn't lower?

9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    IOps seem very high, though im not sure that someone would notice a difference over a normal ssd, I don't see a market for this, other than for server use.

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    'Ultra low latency'

Probably dependent on certain applications.
    General use probably won't matter much.

11. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    Sometimes things can appear to be failures when you don't see the big picture.:)

Judging by the slide, we can say it's for "the highest performance Personal Computers and Workstations. If you need 7-8x speed and 1000x endurance then this is the ticket.

Actually it was 9 years ago, and Intel's X-25 was really great. This isn't just a new name for flash memory. It functions differently, and has some advantages.
    "There are no transistors involved and it is not electron-based storage."

3D-XPoint's "read time" is 100 times faster already. It's the slow interfaces presently available that are holding it back. thessdguy.com had a good explanation of what is holding it back:
    1. The time needed to transfer the data across the PCIe interface
    2. Delays from the host computer’s PCIe port to the arrival of the data at the processor pins
    3. The amount of time the operating system’s I/O stack requires to perform a disk read operation

Maybe next year when Cascade Lake comes and people see servers with TERRABYTES of RAM, they will see where this is going. For more info look into "Storage Class Memory" and "NVDIMM"

12. Dwwolf

Dwwolf Guest

GPU:
    R380X
    This really is a product that deserves a place on a motherboard with much closer integration to RAM and the CPU.

3d Xpoint is closer to RAM than typical NAND based SSD products and could function more as a cache for RAM.

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    The black Optane is for server use, think in direction non-volatile memory cache, there will be some 16-32GB consumer versions too, although I would consider 32GB not being enough and there is still a PCIe limit to overcome.

14. i will be interested to see what the durability is in real life. I am something of an amd fanboy, but intel makes nice stuff i think. Their NICs and their SSDs are pretty nice.

15. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    The endurance part of this seems to be getting less relevant all the time as SSDs are already outliving their time to replacement due to other technology improvements.

The negative Optane reviews on newegg seem to imply that not many people actually understand this product or what it is for.

It kind of feels like Intel let regular consumers think this was a cool thing to buy just to start getting the product into the market.

Just checked the Amazon reviews and you should read them for yourself because IMO it looks like a lot of 1 star and a lot of fake 5 star reviews. The wording on the 5 star reviews looks like marketing material, not consumer reviews.

EDIT:

And at the time of this post literally 0 4 star reviews.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

16. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    The vast improvement from hdd to ssd came from the average seek time from 9-15 ms down to 0,5 or less read speed was not as a big factor 200 or even 100 is enough for a snappy os (not saying that it does not help) so i will ask this for optane does it bring down the average seek time of a file? If yes then read and write speeds are nice but secondary . (At the price they are comming i do not really like em)