MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    oh i know that , i thought i could enable the sensors without HWinfo running

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Preserving installation path sounds like a useful thing, I'll add it to future versions of installer.

Jackalito likes this.
  3. Unwinder

Nope, it doesn't work that way. AIDA plugin requires this application to run in background in order to import any sensors from this application. The same applies to HwInfo plugin. However, PerfCounter and SMART plugins import data directly from OS performance counters and directly from hadrware, so they can supply additional data without running any additional hardware polling application.

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I should probably add that I meant coloring only the part of the graph which was in the alert range, not the whole graph =)

Thanks, will try this. Edit: Yay, it worked, I can use Modern layout now =)

So I've done some testing and thing is - it doesn't look like the actual frame pacing issue as I don't feel it in the game and with such frametimes I certainly should.

When the game launches RTSS frametime graph looks as expected for a vsynced game:

[​IMG]

However if I do an Alt-Tab and then go back into the game the graph changes to what looks pretty much like on my previous screenshot:

[​IMG]

How sure are you that this isn't a glitch of RTSS monitoring? I certainly don't see any stutters and the fps is pretty much locked at 59.9.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

5. Unwinder

Absolutely. It is really hard to make a glitch in implementation of calculating difference between two timestamps.

6. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
  7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Found one minor bug: if you setup an alert on framerate value then the RTSS "Display integer framerate" checkbox is ignored and the framerate is always displayed as integer.

Also - is there any way of setting up an alert for low fps number which would not result in such alert being active all the time while being on desktop with no 3D processes active? AB shows 0 fps in this case and this triggers the alert - I wonder if 0 could be excluded somehow?

Well, this is weird then. It's as if RTSS calculates something which isn't the actual frametime after alt-tabbing in JC3.

8. Unwinder

9. Unwinder

That's by design when you define a threshold for framerate or frametime. It was documented here:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rtss-6-7-0-beta-1.412822/page-18#post-5429350

I'm afraid no.

10. Unwinder

I think I've found relatively easy way to embed drag'n'drop support for multiselected graphs in the list. So it will be possible to rearrange the graphs more effectively and move multiple selected items at once, I'll add it to the next beta.

Jackalito likes this.

11. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    With the newest beta it became possible to toggle between a profile with no OSD active and a profile with OSD active, and so it became possible to toggle between afterburner's OSD and RTSS simpler framerate counter (show own statistics option).
    It's just to say, thank you so much for this update. ^^

12. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Hi Unwinder, nice work on new features.
    Quick question on signing, I installed AB beta 17 and RTSS beta 29.
    I noticed the RTSS.exe properties does show digital sig signer but MSIAfterburner.exe doesn't, neither installer.
    I don't know if that is right or wrong, just reporting if it is wrong.

13. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Thank you very much for the new beta, Alexey!

14. Unwinder

Yep, I forgot to reflect it in the release notes. Also forgot to document that "Show system time in OSD" is a part of monitoring profile as I declare before.

Jackalito and ezodagrom like this.
  15. Unwinder

Supposed to be so, I digitally sign just my own products with my personal signature, RTSS is not MSI branded product so I sign it with my signature. Final AB will be signed by MSI.

Jackalito likes this.

16. Unwinder

Anyone would like to see more fields available in the "Separators" node of layout editor? For example it would be possible to add a field for entering custom header text (i.e. your own text line displayed on top of OSD, i.e. you nickname or system specs if you're recording video with OSD and so on).

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  17. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    That would be cool i think...

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I think what's missing now is the ability to pad groups a bit, for example, increase the spacing between graphs and the rest of the ODS or put some padding between GPU group and CPU one. Unless I've missed something and that's already possible.

19. Unwinder

Ability to increase spacing between text part of OSD and graphs definitively sounds like a useful thing for me. I think if I'll add customizeable intro text (i.e. the text you may want to display right above OSD) then adding similar customizeable outro text (i.e. the text you may want to display right below text part of OSD, but above the graphs) can solve it - you'll be able to adjust spacing between text and graphs via inserting as may empty lines into the outro as you wish.
    I think I'll also add macro variables support for both intro and outro separators, so you'll be able to insert you system specs with keywords, e.g. "My PC : %CPU%/%GPU%/%Driver%" will translate into your CPU, GPU and display driver version text into OSD.

Sadly, adding variable spacing between the grouped text items is not so easy and doent't fit into current text formatting approach.

Jackalito likes this.
  20. Unwinder

I see the concept as something like that:

outro.jpg

In this case "www.Guru3D.com" is entered as intro text in the layout. And outro text is formatted via macro "%CPU%|%RAM%|%GPU%|%Driver%", so you'll be able to automatically display any desired system component specs in any place if necessary.

The1, Jackalito and Hilbert Hagedoorn like this.