d3d error dxgi_error_device_removed

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Haiden, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Haiden

Haiden Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760 2GB
    I have tried everything from removing all signs of the faulty drivers to clean-installing of newer drivers, from NVIDIA, to reinstalling my OS. All this started after I updated my drivers to latest. Each time I restart my PC, I am forced to "refresh" it, restoring it as if the OS was just installed, and it reverts to Windows drivers for graphics.

Also, I installed and ran "WhoCrashed", which left me with a report. I will post that below if it helps. If I run Windows normally, without gaming, its fine. But as soon as I game, any game, it crashes. I tired contacting NVIDIA, but all they told me to do was the obvious; uninstall and reinstall newer drivers... which is what I did and then it all went to hell. I also ran tests on my RAM , all clean.

On Tue 9/26/2017 2:08:34 PM your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\092617-14906-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x157294)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFE0000358A010, 0xFFFFF80001C3A294, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x5)
    Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
    product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 384.94
    company: NVIDIA Corporation
    description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 384.94
    Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 384.94 , NVIDIA Corporation).
    Google query: NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Tue 9/26/2017 2:08:34 PM your computer crashed
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF80001C3A294)
    Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFE0000358A010, 0xFFFFF80001C3A294, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x5)
    Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
    file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
    product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 384.94
    company: NVIDIA Corporation
    description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 384.94
    Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 384.94 , NVIDIA Corporation).
    Google query: NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Conclusion
    2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 384.94 , NVIDIA Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

2. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Newest are 385.69! Not that would help, but..

3. Haiden

Haiden Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760 2GB

Yes, and as I said, the newest caused the problems initially. Its very frustrating because before I updated drivers, my system was working just fine. Now, no matter which drivers I try, nothing works. NVIDIA is not responding to this so Im not sure what to do.

4. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I had a myriad of issues with Nvidia drivers too. On windows 10. My solution was to go back to Win. 7. No more issues. No problem controlling what and when I want something installed etc. etc. I'll go to Win.10 again, once they get their crap together.

5. Haiden

Haiden Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760 2GB
    I just cannot understand why it wouldnt let me go back to the drivers I had prior to trying to update, without crashing. I ran DDU and tried, and it fails every time. I cant exactly afford to just get a new GPU, but Im sure that would be overkill. Wish NVIDIA would respond , as Ive sent them messages.

6. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    DDU fails or the drivers installer ?
    Did you tried running DDU in safe mode ?

If you already reinstalled windows and the problem persists, it's maybe your gpu that died.
    Or it needs reseating in the pci-e slot, preferably with a clear cmos when the slot is free(just before re-seat the gpu).
    Another thought is reinstall the OS and install directly the previous driver, in order to avoid the no turning back problem.

7. Haiden

Haiden Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760 2GB
    I have tried all the above. The driver itself fails to work, or so it seems.

Its just a bit strange that as soon as I updated the driver, this is happening. And I get the same issue as so many. But then it would also appear the GPU itself must be faulty, suddenly, just as soon as I install a new driver. Is there a report I can post other than what I have that gives better detail?

Well looks like no PC for me for a while. Or I just cant game. I mean the Windows drivers work for it, but not the NVIDIA. Its only when I restart it it doesnt work. I figured since its working, Im on it now, it could be fixed.

8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Did you actually try reinstalling your OS and if yes then what prevented you from installing the driver which works?

9. Haiden

Haiden Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760 2GB

I did reinstall Windows. From there I tried to reinstall the newest driver, thinking it was a fluke. That didnt work, so it reverted to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. As I mentioned, the PC works I just cannot install any drivers that will work, it gives me the aforementioned error. Is there a specific error log I can post here other than the one I did, perhaps one with more detail?

Edit: I also have no idea which driver is the last one to work. I tried all of them.

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    If no driver work for you even on a clean OS install then it's pretty obviously a h/w fault (MS Basic driver isn't really a driver, it's a base compatibility layer, like VGA ten years ago; it may work only because it doesn't really use the h/w beyond the said tiny compatibility part).

11. Haiden

Haiden Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760 2GB
    I figured it would ultimately be a failed gpu. Which sucks, I kept my machine spotless and it runs cool. And the fact it stopped working right after I installed the latest driver and restarted the machine. Ive seen several posts on different sites regarding this exact thing, so I thought perhaps it was just something I was missing. thank you for the help

But would a scan of all hardware find faulty hardware? Thats not the case here. Could someone tell me of a good scanner for such a thing?

12. Haiden

Haiden Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760 2GB
    I was under the impression if my card didnt work, Id not be using it right now. Apologies, I didnt know better. Guess it really is dead. Thanks again.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It can vary, had a old 6970 GPU which failed but it was completely stable for basic tasks but as soon as some 3D activity was attempted (Gaming generally.) and it started clocking up for full speed the entire GPU just shut down and died.

Fault itself can be anywhere really, GPU die itself, memory, some little bit on the PCB and so on, exactly what this leads to can also vary from display corruption to sporadic crashes when the GPU is at heavy load so it's not just black screen and the system won't boot at all, makes troubleshooting a pain in the ass in my own opinion but I'm not a hardware expert by any means though yeah suspecting the driver or OS is definitively common but if even a reinstall or using the basic driver doesn't help there's not much else it could be.
    (A spare GPU and testing with that would be helpful but if you don't upgrade that often you might not have one around or it might have been resold since there's still some possible value from that.)

Probably really convenient with one of those on-die CPU iGPU's so you can still use the system while waiting for the replacement to arrive, of course some games are a bit stupid and try using the iGPU but there's workarounds to that at least, ha ha.

Hopefully you can get ahold of a new GPU without too much trouble, availability shouldn't be as big of a problem for Nvidia even if some models have been popular for mining too but pricing and availability for both newer and older GPU's is probably not too bad. :)

14. Haiden

Haiden Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760 2GB
    This is a shot in the dark here, but I was thinking (Going by one of the error messages relating to DirectX) , could it be an error due to my card and the version of DirectX? That being 11. I have seen many posts searching around Google, people suggesting this could be the case. I am reading a lot that people have had issues with the same card , GeForce GTX 760, and DX11. Probably not the case, again, Im just reaching for straws at this point.

Im just not able to afford a new GPU atm, and... man, gaming :(

If only there was a simpler way to detect the issue. I may just have to accept that , after an OS reinstall, its hopeless. I have been through a lot over the years with systems, people telling me something is one way, then I manage to figure it out. At this point, really, I just dont want to give up. I hate giving up. Thanks for reading tho I appreciate it.

15. Haiden

Haiden Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760 2GB
    Edit: Something happened. I went into Device Manager and noticed the yellow exclamation point, it said "Media", so I installed drivers, it was for NVIDIA.. now in display it shows my GPU? This happened once before, so I am not hopeful here. I will try to update drivers, once again, for the GPU. But should I go with the latest, or earlier? I am skeptical of the latest due to the fact this happened after I updated the first time. Tho, of course, it could be unrelated, and possibly a coincidience that all this happened as I updated. Im not sure what to do.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    If that's on Win10 chances are that Win10 installed whatever NV driver they are pushing through Windows Update right now already.

17. Haiden

Haiden Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760 2GB

I apologize, didnt give any specs. But I am currently running Windows 8.1 Pro. I did notice a lot of search results for issues with the drivers and Windows 10 also. As soon as I updated under Sound, Video etc, I had to restart my machine and got the error. That probably no closer than I was before to figuring this out. I also had to unplug my HDMI, and use DVI now. There must be something I am missing. Its not RAM, that I know of. I did not touch RAM until after this happened, as I reset both RAM and my GPU to make certain.

It must be a bad GPU I am guessing, sadly. As I mentioned previously, both after a clean install of Windows, using DDU to uninstall and then using NVIDIAs site to update, no changes. I mean it couldnt be anything other than a bad GPU, right? Pain in the backside indeed, but I refuse to give up until I have exhausted everything.

GeForce GTX 760

AMD FX-8350

Just in case thats relevant.