Display Driver Uninstaller vs Geforce Experience...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by drac, Sep 24, 2017.

1. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Was wondering, Is there even any point to using control panel then DDU to remove previous drivers, instead of just leaving Geforce Experience on the system to remove/update? The latest version does seem very good at the job. Are there really going to be any performance issues... it is 2017, GE should be pretty mature by now. I wonder how effective they are one vs the other.

2. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Guess everyone is as clueless about this as me lol

3. Shady757

Shady757 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 970/GSYNC
    I'm not even really sure what you're asking. It sounds like you're referring specifically to Geforce Experience, but it also doesn't. You should use DDU like it has always been recommended to be used - when it's needed. If you don't need it or otherwise feel like there's no point, don't use it. DDU was originally made to help solve issues, I personally use it before each driver installation, but there isn't really that much of a point.

caleb59 likes this.
  4. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I think OP is asking if there's any point in using the uninstaller in the Programs and Features sections of the Control Panel before using DDU. In which case, no, there is no point in doing so. DDU removes all and every trace of the driver package you're uninstalling (be it nVidia, AMD, or Intel). Especially if you go to DDU settings and select (tick) all the options available for removing everything.

You don't need to uninstall the drivers, then use DDU. Just use DDU, or just uninstall normally and if you ever face issues, or once every few months use DDU if you don't feel comfortable using it every time there's a driver release.

5. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    This is what I'm thinking also and what I was querying, if there was in-fact a point to it.

Yep assumed this was the case (that control panel uninstall was not necessary) cheers for the info, I wasn't really asking this question. ;)
    Although It does sound like a plan and I'll probably just do this from now on, that is run a DDU every so often to keep things in check, even if it is just for peace of mind. Currently I was doing it every driver install.

Just to clear it up as I tend to generalise questions a bit.
    Basically my question was;
    Does Geforce Experience do as good of a job at uninstalling drivers as DDU? As it does clear the previous driver version before updating to a new driver.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  6. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Just use DDU and then install the driver with the exe. You CAN use the control panel to first uninstall the driver before running DDU and disable the ethernet while installing the driver to prevent ads... but this really won't make any difference whatsoever.

You can however avoid installing telemetry by unpacking the driver and installing only the core components you need. If you're running a well optimized modern system, however, none of this stuff will make a dent in performance in any meaningful way.

7. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    I always use the clean install option via the driver installer and only use DDU if i have issues with a particular driver (DDU then reinstall to see if it helps)

8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    GeForce Experience doesn't uninstall drivers and has nothing to do with drivers in general. The same installer can be used to uninstall both drivers and GFE.
    Does it do a good job? Well, let me put it this way: unless you have a clear issue with the drivers - don't use DDU. Driver's own (un)installer is perfectly fine for a normal uninstall.

That being said, in most cases you don't even have to uninstall anything. New driver versions can be installed on top of the older ones, "clean install" option takes care of most of old driver remnants on the system. You can even install older drivers on top of newer ones although this is a bit more tricky as you generally have to make sure that the older driver is from the same branch as the newer one.

Shady757 likes this.
  9. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    If you check out the info that the program is giving you when you update to a new driver it does in fact say "uninstalling previous version" or something similar to that, so yes it does have this function (uninstalls drivers). Not sure what your getting at here.

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That's the driver installer, not GeForce. GeForce is the application. You don't need it at all to remove or install drivers.

11. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Ahh yep. Gotcha. Although not sure you could say this for sure, the installer looks different, like its some integrated version for the Geforce Experience app. Either way I was just viewing them as one in the same when I was asking the questions.

12. DJ_Casper

DJ_Casper Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    I uninstall all nVidia apps via Control Panel > Programs (or any Uninstaller related) and then use DDU/Display Driver Fusion