Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by WhiteLightning, Sep 16, 2017.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I thought i made a topic before but cant find it anymore :s

anyways, the trailer! Epicness!

Launches Sept 24

Anyone looking forward to it ?!?

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I am indeed looking forward to it, yet I try not to expect too much of it.

The visual style seems to be leaning more towards the reboot movies than anything before that, but my true doubts remain with the story. But only time can tell how it develops. I just hope they don't get cancelled after the first season...

3. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Looking forward to Star Trek and Stargate origins.

4. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Lol Stargate Origins is a pathetic attempt by MGM to get long term fans to sign up to their paid for Stargate streaming sub service. I am sorry what the fans wanted was full on episode that either rounded out or continued the established universe not an origins series comprised of episodes that run for 10 minutes and if they are to remain fixed to the established Stargate lore will not actually have the Stargate ever being used. Also love how the teaser trailer is made entirely of imagary taken from the original movie and doesn't show ANY new footage at all.

Oh and STD (yup not sure how that one got past the marketing people) looks a*se as well.

Brasky likes this.

5. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    A whole series based on the 'new cinematic Star Trek experience' that I find cringe inducing, not in the least because the ineffectual combat sequences remind me of crappy, rushed cartoons from the 80s. All those first contact wars that Classic Trek kept referring to, do deserve some attention. Hopefully the cast can salvage crappy scripts like in the old series...and hopefully we'll get actual dialogue instead of pathetic one liners trading blows with fart sniffing moments and people randomly punching each other only to miraculously survive cataclysmic and apocalyptic events 10 seconds later.

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I wil wait until i see it before giving my verdict, but i still smart somewhat over the dumpster fire that was Enterprise.

7. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    I agree. I remember reading the announcement on Facebook. I'm not about to fork out $20 USD for a streaming service. I hope they don't terminate their contract with Hulu over this service as that would lead to a lot of pissed off viewers. I do have the shows on disc, but streaming is so much easier. Just by looking the premise of this show it's like MGM never even bothered to watch Stargate or Stargate SG-1. It's been well established that Katherine Langford wasn't able to get the gate work until she contacted Daniel Jackson for help. I'd rather learn more about the Alterans (Ancients) and their quest to learn the secrets of the universe. You know, that whole thing SG:U tried to do that fans pissed all over and got the show canned.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  8. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    I was having a little think the other day about this and the assumption is that Origins would be human / Earth focused because all the other shows have been... but what if it was focused on what Ra and the other Gouald were doing in those years between Earth closing the Stargate and then reopening it or as you said something that focused more on what the Ancients were doing during those years they came up with the gate system.

Then again the series is meant to last ten episodes at a run time of ten minutes each, so that's the length of a double episode I am guessing some sort of stretched out set up and debate about where the gate is going, the initial messing around they did with it, maybe some link in to the Torment of Tantalus before rounding it off with the conclusion that they have no idea how it works or what it is meant to do before putting it in to storage. I doubt it will go beyond a single series as it is clearly just a hook to get people to sign up.

9. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    From what it sounds like it's going to be mainly earth-based. It seems to be mainly focused on Katherine Langford's research into the gate. It would be cool if they somehow linked it to the episode "Torment of Tantalus." Although, I'm not sure where they could go with that considering the episode itself explained what happened pretty well. They could use it as reference to link her research to her father's. It will be interesting to see what they do.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  10. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I'm rather looking forward to it as I've always been a Trek fan since growing up and watching reruns of the original series and later on TNG, DS9 and Voyager to a lesser extent. I've been watching Enterprise lately as I missed it entirely and the first few seasons were quite wooden but it started to pick up nicely with the Xindi's introduced and there being more of a central plot to follow through each episode which is something Trek never really did that much in the ToS/TNG days.

The new one looks the part from what I've seen from the trailers but with Trek its all in the casting and I feel a bit mixed about the mix of races and sexes that are being cast. While diversity has always been whats made Star Trek so great, I can't help but feel the current times we live in have had a large impact on the casting choices and I really don't want my Star Trek to go political and reflect the real world because I watch Star Trek to escape from all of that BS. I'll reserve judgment untill I've seen an episode or 2 and I'm fairly confident that they won't mess it up but then again, anythings possible these days.

fantaskarsef and lucidus like this.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There were some tweets by a producer of the show linking Klingons to the US 2016 election so keep your hopes in check about politics.

I didn't like the dialog featured in the trailers eg. sometimes when you're lost you're found or starfleet doesn't fire first ... lol. I'm expecting season 1 of TNG quality, maybe worse. Then again this is season 1 of a star trek show so we'll see.

I don't think I'll ever get over their Uruk Hai designs for the Klingons :p

Repo Man likes this.
  12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I can understand what you mean repo man. Clearly ST, especially TOS and TNG were supposed to show a positive, optimistic vision of the future of mankind, and not something that happens now.
    While I still can greatly enjoy DS9, and Voyager because it's about struggling to keep up those ideals brought forward during the TOS and TNG series, I am not all too curious about Enterprise since they rather introduced the Xindi than work on what people were really waiting for, the first contact with the Romulans and the subsequent war between them and the Federation that later ended.
    I guess it all comes down to how it develops, I am anxious to check out the first episode this weekend probably, so please for any of you who have seen it already, don't spoiler too much :D

And I do hope they don't cancel the show all too quickly... although I'm not the biggest fan of Enterprise, I know it could have grown better if they'd have gone the full distance with 6 or 7 seasons, like TNG, DS9, and Voyager were.

13. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    They remind me of Buckaroo Banzai...

[​IMG]

14. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Ugh!... see thats exactly the sort of crap I don't really need. I'm totally cool with social commentary especially if it gets done in a clever way but if its an obvious comparison to a point that it sticks out like a sore thumb, it puts me right off!

What does get my hopes up a bit is that for a long long time Star Trek's burden has been Star Trek and what I mean is that the producers seem to feel as if they have this need to please the most devoted fans and rightfully so to a degree as its all these people whose devotion has kept the show and films alive all this time, even against the odds at times. Problem is that the ratings haven't really been the greatest and you as a Star Trek fan almost feel guilty mentioning to some Avarage Joe that you watch Trek because the response usually is "oh is that the show with those people with the funny ears ? Isn't that for kids ?" Or some such.

Any new Trek series to do good in todays "TV-Scape" has to Un-Trek itself. The older shows are all well and good for people like us who love them for what they are but when theres so many top quality TV shows out there and movies going the way they're going with endless reboots/re-imaginings boring audiences to tears, TV is now king as thats where stories get to flourish but the competition is tough. STD ( unfortunate acronym ) appears to be making Star Trek a bit more "edgy" but after having rewatched some of the trailers this morning something just feels a bit off. I consider myself satisfied if they manage to pull off the entertainement factor of the new films on the small screen, I know a lot of Trekkies got mixed feelings about the new films but I personally enjoyed the hell out of the first 2 and even Beyond was totally enjoyable for me so if they manage to nail some of that on at least some level I consider it a win.

However If it turns out to be edgy for the sake of it + pouty faces in space... Well, then I'll have to just accept that any new Star Trek content doesn't work and if I need me some fresh sci-fi in my life Expanse will have to do ( decent show btw, recommend checking it out ).

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I just saw the first 2 episodes, i actually liked it. seems this series will be one big adventure instead of seperate stories. Doesnt bother me too much, from what ive seen its worth checking out.

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Please guys just don't spoiler too much, haven't been able to check it out yet :D

18. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Another inconsistent Trek caricature. Stupid and inconsistent for the convenience of the lazy writing.

19. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    We Mass Effect now?

jbscotchman and lucidus like this.
  20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I skimmed it, the klingon voiced dialog is really weird. What next? Romulan language? Beep boop borg? lol. The show itself looks very good. Intro is very nice to look at too, not the most exciting of themes but it is okay. Why is the main character called "Michael"? Really weird ... and not logical either.

The Discovery reminds of me of a cancelled USS Enterprise from the Motion Picture. Pretty sure I saw something like that on the wikia.

When is the next episode? Will we get multiple episodes on the same day again? I'd rather watch multiple episodes together or I'll forget details and lose interest.

USS Normany would've been awesome. ST:Normandy. Better than STD atleast lmao.