Dishonored II

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 3, 2014.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Looks like the game was unlocked. :)

EDIT:
    Interesting, though yeah he was already part of the Knife of Dunwall and Brigmoor Witches episodes for the first game and Billie should offer some interesting perspective changes having only had a smaller role in the two DLC episodes until Dishonored 2 where the player could (optionally.) pick up on a bit more of her past.

EDIT: Or it just shows up that way in Steam for some reason.

EDIT: Ah it's out in Australia and a few other regions. :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Tried it out, this is how DisHonored II should've been released.
    They've definitely learned from their mistakes, and made drastic improvements to Void. Performance is silky smooth, 1080p, settings on High (motion blur off... because... it's motion blur) and is holding a constant 60fps. No stuttering or jittery feeling with mouse movement.
    Load times are insanely fast.

Really seems that when Arkane said they knew they dropped the ball with DH2's PC release... they meant it.

3. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=249008098#post249008098

Looks like that issue is still there, performance seems better though from what I have read but the areas are also smaller now, five missions overall it seems though playtime depends entirely on the players preferences with how you can finish the first levels up to the Asylum in Dishonored 2 in a pretty short amount of time or you can spend hours wandering around doing stuff like listening on NPC's or picking up the main upgrade items and other collectibles plus there's a lot of hidden paths and out of the way areas to explore too so I'm guessing this game is much the same in that regard.

4. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, I've seen people claiming the areas are smaller... so that's why performance is better.
    But, I don't exactly agree. In Dishonored 2, I would run into performance issues in small areas more often then the larger outdoor areas. The starting area, in the throne room... that would tank in FPS no matter what settings I used when the game came out.
    Several other in door locations, I would drop frames regardless of settings. Later patches fixed this, but... even at launch... some of the larger areas that bridged locations together would hold smoother performance.

With Death of the Outsider, I've seen no dips, no stuttering and no hitches. I've set the Max FPS to 90, and turned adaptive v-sync on (through NCP) and it's holding a constant, steady 60fps. And, even more so, it feels smooth. That was DH2's big issue at release. The mouse aim and movement felt jittery, and it's definitely improved with updates, but it still feels a bit off.
    Here, it feels perfect. Smooth and precise.

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Looking forward to playing this some point later once i've finished some other games, enjoyed 2 a lot despite the general outrage on it

6. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    So i figured out some tweaks and cvars that seem to work on Dishonored 2 and DotO

You put "+exec autoexec.cfg" in the launch params and make one in the config folder in the My Saved Games dishonored folder.

and here are the commands that i found that SEEM to work

r_DofUseCatsEye "0"
    r_DofUseFringing "0"
    r_DofUseVignette "0"
    r_DofUseDisto "0"
    r_DofUseFringing "0"
    r_DofUseNoise "0"
    r_DofFringChroma "0"
    r_DofCOC "0"
    r_DofFringChroma "0"

ive also heard "r_skippostprocess" works as well.

those will disable the vignette and odd effects when you are crouching, but here are also some that I have that im not sure all work but some may.

g_skipViewEffects "1"
    image_useCompression "0"
    image_lodbias "-1"
    image_anisotropy "16"
    r_useGPUCulling "1"
    r_tessellationAmount "32"
    r_shadows32Bits "1"
    r_maxShadowMapExtraResolution "4096"
    r_maxShadowMapResolution "4096"
    view_doubleVision "0"
    g_mouseSmooth "0"
    m_rawInputLookCmd "1"
    r_OIT "1"
    view_damageBlur "0"
    r_TAAAmount "40"
    r_SSSBlurQuality "0"
    r_downsampleQuality "0"
    r_skipMipMaps "1"
    sys_FreeResourcesOnMapChange "1"
    r_preloadShaderCache "1"
    r_schedulerUseDeferredCtx "1"
    r_schedulerThreadingMode "2"
    r_parallelRenderProgSpecialization "1"
    r_shadowAtlasSliceWidth "4096"
    r_shadowAtlasSliceHeight "4096"

in DotO the highest setting number has been changed from 5 to 4. And a couple of preset options have been removed such as Environment Quality and Fog Blur Quality. Also Blood Fly Shadows have been removed. So here are the cvars for that.

r_shadowsBloodflies "1"
    r_fogBlurPreset "4"
    r_envQualityPreset "4"

also found this but it doesn't seem to work, this command would disable the need to press a button to continue past the loading screen.

com_loadScreenUserConfirmationDisabled "1"

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Oh so the game engine is similar enough that the same cvars can be re-used, I heard some of the gameplay code was still in there for certain powers and such too although I guess those are mainly for the "Old Game+" mode where you can use some of the old abilities after finishing the game once.

Neat, and it explains some of the performance differences too.

8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Anyone else ran into the taxidermist yet?
    I found the notes out in the street and decided to investigate. I ended up stealing her key, and sneaking to the basement. Once I saw what was down there, I went back upstairs... and knocked her out. Then, freed her captive. Burnt the two infested corpses... and threw her into the glass cage she had the guy locked in.
    I then opened up the divider and let the blood flies have her.

After I saw what she was doing, I knew I was gonna kill her. I contemplated putting her in the furnace and burning her up. :p

Bleib likes this.
  9. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    I did the exact same thing. Wish you could use possession so you could see her reaction with her being alive. The old game plus powers should have been Emily's version of blink, possession, and rat swarm

Yes the engine is the same. I unpackedthe game files and the files for corvo and Emily are still there. So you theoretically can edit the files to change powers. I think you could use the DOOM method and make a .patch file. I'm not sure what the engine will recognize cvar wise. There is a bug in the game, it keeps reenabling DOF, I've noticed it doing it when using the Semblance or melee kills. Even when I make the file read only. The shadows seem low quality even on ultra. Game runs a lot better. Seems later on in patches they removed the volumetric lighting setting and then merged it with the fog blur setting. Well now that setting, environment quality and model quality are gone in DotO. Bloodflies do have shadows by default. Rat shadow setting is more an homage to Dishonored 1.

I noticed that
    they said that Sokolov went to Tyvia. That was the setting of the leaked Dishonored 2 e3 presentation. I wonder if that might be a sequel hint. Would love another dlc to play as Daud or the outsider.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I'm looking forward to the idea of a new story set in the DisHonored world. I love Corvo, but... I agree with their decision to wrap up this story arc. To open the door for new characters and new locations.

11. Dr Proton

Dr Proton Guest

GPU:
    DotO was a disappointing and streamlined experience, so I'm happy to see the series is ending with this entry. I hope Arkane reflect upon their recent failures and apply those lessons to one of Bethesda's tentpole franchises in 3-4 years.

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The series is not ending.
    The Kaldwin story line is ending, as it's been wrapped up. The storyline based around Corvo, Emily, The Outsider and Daud are ending with DotO.

But, they've already said that this will open the doors for new stories featuring new characters in new locations.
    And, Arkane have not had any recent failures. The DisHonored series is still fantastic, and PREY was great.

13. Dr Proton

Dr Proton Guest

GPU:
    If you look past the PR bullshit, the series is ending. Arkane have had three flops in a row. People can try to spin it however they like, but Prey and Dishonored aren't coming back. Bethesda's complacent marketing killed them both. The studio's last three efforts haven't broken out of their niche audience and are commercial catastrophes (DotO isn''t even in the top 20 sellers on Steam). Since they were greenlit back in 2015, I wouldn't be surprised if Evil Within 2 and The New Colossus are last single-player only titles released by Bethesda subsidiaries.

14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    DotO is 18 in the Top Sellers list on Steam.

15. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    Bro, not sure if we have a case of the Mandela Effect, but Dishonored and Prey have been both Critical and Commercial successes. Now whether you think they're worthy of it is for sure your opinion. But neither are by any means flops.

16. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    Well it's supposed to be. It's a self contained episode. But you are correct sir in that it isn't as large in scale as the main game. I think expecting a 30 dollar standalone expansion to have similar depth to the base game is a bit unrealistic, when you come from such a deep game, it could be jarring.

17. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Wow, the
    bank
    mission was great. One of the better ones.

18. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    Is this the right location?

Users\*username*\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Dishonored2\base

I placed it there but it's not working, I have the demo version of D2 though.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah.
    People cling to the statement that DH2 didn't sell as many copies as the first game did in it's opening week and form the opinion that DH2 is a failure. Just because it didn't sell as many copies the first week as DH did, in no way means it's a failure or flop.
    Some mindsets baffle me...

Yeah, that mission is great. I had a blast exploring it.
    But, just finished that mission... and I'm already 9 hours in. So, for 30 bucks... this is MORE then worth the cost. Hell, I've already gotten more playtime outta this then I have some 60 dollar games.

20. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    Anyone think the objects in the interiors look better in Outsider than in 2? I don't mean overall level design inside or outdoors, 2 is better in that imo. I mean the objects on the tables and desks, pieces of equipment and some machines, and clutter. They seem to have more detail and better appearance. Or maybe more interesting is a better term.

Not a big deal to most I guess. But even the hardcore action enthusiasts probably get wowed when stepping into some of these amazing interiors.