Mystery solved: Z390 Chipset Will Support Intel 8-Core Processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    airbud7 and Silva like this.
  2. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Yet another chipset? Why do people even bother buying $hintel these days?
    On another note, i7 with 8 cores? So soon? Ryzen sure has shaken them of their feet.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    10 years of quad core max for mainstream, and now we will suddenly get both 6-core and 8-core mainstream within a year. Such a deplorably greedy company Intel is. It truly has transformed itself from a technology company into a financial company.

airbud7 and Silva like this.
  4. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    8 core coffelake, oh heeeellll yeah

5. koniu

koniu Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    It will directly compete with Ryzen 2.
    AMD is working hard on IPC and clocks for second gen Ryzen. If they manage to add ~10% IPC and clocks ~4,5+GHz it will be very interesting.

I will watching close to that. I planing to upgrade my rig in Q4 2018.

Silva likes this.
  6. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    Another Chipset .... FeelsBadMan
    am done with this 9999+ chipsets

Silva likes this.
  7. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    And there goes my plan to upgrade to CFL from my old Sandy. I could go Z370 with an i3 and buy the 8 core part later but nope. Intel wants me to wait or keep buying motherboards for no reason.

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    So that means AMD is greedy for releasing their 6 and 8 core Ryzen CPUs eh?

9. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Doubtful, most CPU's are made well in advance, they most likely have been producing these since ryzen came out maybe even before hand.

And i can think of many reasons people buy intel over ryzen.

right now Ryzen is great, its a good price for performance
    But some people have the extra money to get something from intel which do perform better, specially in gaming and ST tasks... though MT might change with these new chips coming out.

It's the same reason people want to buy a ferrari instead of a ford both get from A to B, but they do perform different.

My question to you is why if you're just an AMD fanboy do you keep messaging on each intel post on here? if you don't want intel then cool that is your choice but you post basically the same thing each time.
    Competition on both sides is good, it's beyond me why you would moan of such things, or would you prefer the old AMD that couldn't hold a candle to intels offering?

10. travian

travian Member

GPU:
    gt 240
    do you have a source for your claim?
    it would be really interesting if AMD could manage to get higher clocks even with the same IPC but reasonable voltages and temps.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The release time line is close enough to a source. If the Z390 chipset is expected to be released in H2'18 and Zen2 is expected around a similar time frame, it would be expected that the 2 would compete with each other.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You don't have to be pro-AMD or Anti-Intel to see that the constant release of new chipsets is ridiculous when they add absolutely no new features. If Z370 isn't going to add any new features, and isn't a long-term product, it shouldn't be released. Instead, Intel should hold off until Z390 is ready. If Z390 won't support processors supported by Z370, the entire line is a waste and the chipsets need to be re-engineered. The blind support for stupidity like this is amazing.

Webhiker, Kaarme and Silva like this.
  13. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It isn't releases of chipsets more of announcements or rumours of them. we have yet to see if they will actual come out, though these rumours typically are set in stone. we don't know if this has been rushed or planned all along. If it has been rushed then yes this is pretty ridiculous, however if this has been planned all along, of if their chipsets have always allowed for more or if this is the reason for the Z390 in the first place, then it's quite possible this has been planned. as for how it will do, we will just have to wait for HH and others to review the products to find out how they perform, though like most cases with CPU's right now, the performance on ST has been a very slow crawl, MT on the other hand is where we would see big gains in performance.

This could also be intel moving all i7's over from HEDT platform, and HEDT platform being for i9's only, though that's just my thoughts who know's with intel they have been making some odd choices this year i have to say.

This isn't the first time that different chipsets have allowed for certain processors or features, even AMD have also done this (mostly with features mind you)

Support for competition however i think is a good thing, as long as we have good healthy competition mind you.
    I'm in the camp for good competition, having high cores on the mainstream is something that has been needed now for over 6 years, 4c8t have been around for too long.

I will agree that we should not support this blindly, however it is something that can be good but should be taken with a massive heap of sand. and we should wait for reviews before we make any intelligent choice about the platform itself as it could be something horrible

14. zero_cool

zero_cool Guest

GPU:
    Two amd fury X
    This is for Ice-lake

15. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Uh... No. Somehow you are seeing the thing 180 degrees reversed. As far as I'm concerned, AMD was out of the serious CPU business for many years, not releasing anything beyond entry level or low mainstream. It did no good for their business prospects either, even if they did manage to land some console deals. However, Intel could have released 6/8-core mainstreams a few years ago, as natural development from the 4-cores that had dominated the market already for a while. But no, they didn't, because in lack of competition they simply kept milking the market by releasing the same old 4-cores time after time. I'm 99% sure they had at least preliminary plans for these things ready and waiting all the time. Only when they began to suspect AMD would finally reenter the game, they finished those plans and are getting the Coffee Lake out in no time at all.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    how many god damn chipset they need? why dont they just get over with it and do new chipset and new socket every 6 month, well all know they want too.

i dont see how intel can keep doing the same old thing over and over, less they really do have magical cpu they never released for reason. even then I think it be more profitable, they came back to reality

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    AMD has had mainstream 6 and 8 core processors even before this year. Not that they were all that fast.

This idea that Intel is greedy because they are just now releasing 6 and 8 core processors to the mainstream and you trying to say that makes AMD greedy as well is complete bonkers.

Intel could have released 6 and 8 core, and even more for that matter, to mainstream, sub $500, 3-4 years ago. They didn't. They continued to not. They just sat around and twiddled their thumbs because they felt they had no real competition and became completely stagnant. They did very little in IPC, and claimed they were doing wonders by bringing a 5-10% increase in frequency year over year, if that. And now, all of the sudden that AMD came back into the game, they are playing catch up, with "We can provide 6 and 8 core processors to the "sorta" masses too!"(sorta because they are still way too expensive) This is the definition of greedy.

This is fact, regardless if you want to believe it or not.
    Absolutely correct, and completely incorrect at the same time.

The question isn't:

"How did Intel pull a rabbit out of its ass so quickly? Where did these processors appear out of thin air?"

The question is:

"I wonder if these processors were designed to be what they are. Meaning, were they expecting to release these processors for so cheap, and in the i3/i5/i7 range? Or were they intending to release basically the same setup they had last year, but felt they needed to up the ante due to competition?"

The "naming" and release price points of processors can be changed quite fast, up and until retail production. What was once a potential i7 8900/9900 and possibly even the i9 79## series are now lower end i7 and and what was once the lower end i7 is now the i5, and so on.

It's pretty clear of that fact with the 10 core processors, which i guarantee would have been another $1800 processor if AMD hadn't come along, was now Intels i9 lowest end processors and the larger core processors were, for some reason "coming soon"

I guarantee you, 100%, if AMD hadn't come along, no processor being released right now by Intel would have had the same naming scheme. It would have been another refresh of i3/i5/i7 as they were last year, with a small bump in frequency, and MAYBE one processor that was a surprise. Guaranteed.

It doesn't take any effort from Intel, or time for that matter, to change the name of a processor, and what family it is in. Can be done 100% easily and fast, up until retail production has begun.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  18. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This is why competition is good, chances are yeah intel wouldn't have done anything... they havent needed too... they might have released a 6 core, that is possible to boost sales since most just stay with their CPU's right now.. but 8 core no that wouldnt come out unless they had competition taking some sales. Competition is always a good thing. it either brings better things out or makes things cheaper for most people. either way its a win-win

Would be nice if we had an extra GPU and CPU competitor to spice the market up, but i fear at this stage in the game and market no one would even want to try such a thing... Apple would be my first bet to come in, but i doubt think they want to risk it, then again they would be worse than intel in terms of prices XD considering they're asking £1149 for a phone!!!

19. alxtorrentazos

alxtorrentazos Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060 OC
    This is just great! I´ve just sold my 2600K two weeks ago and was waiting for reviews of the 8700K/8600K to see what my upgrade path would be and now Intel is telling us that if we want the "real deal" with 8c/16t we will have to wait another year or just buy a half baked technology that only would last for the next 8-12 months........great move Intel, great move. Please HH, sir, do a review of the TR 1900X ASAP.....f**k Intel!

20. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    Just another anti consumer product from intel. If i was to swap my 4690k out for a new platform, my money would go to AMD.