Windows power plan settings explorer utility

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Aug 3, 2017.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/wt37sbsejk7iepm/PowerSettingsExplorer.zip

Change log:
    - Export and Import of settings through buttons at the bottom (need to be tested more thoroughly by beta-testers);
    - New subgroup of settings with name "fea3413e-7e05-4911-9a71-700331f1c294" is placed at the beginning - these are settings without actual subgroup (in dialog with advanced settings these settings are gathered under the first root node with the name of current power plan);
    - Unhiding the setting when subgroup is hidden itself is now trying to remove hidden status from subgroup too.
    - Reading of the settings at the start of utility is made multithreaded to be more smooth (you can compare with previous version - whether it became smoother).

Next easy feature to implement can be new column in the grid with values which shows which power plan is currently active and lets change it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    duttyend and Jackalito like this.
  2. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    The " Energy Saving settings " issue reported above has been corrected by this release.
    Will test Export / Import feature and report back.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  4. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    @mbk1969

Very good implementation with check marks that indicate which state is active.

A question, does the power plan in question have to be active for the changes to take effect?
    Ex. Header " Hard Disk " then " Turn off hard Disk " I have set the value to " 0 " for the other two power plans
    • Balanced
    • Power Saver
    But when I close and reopen PowerSettingsExplorer, the value has returned to 1200?

When does the program apply any changes? I was thinking about an " Apply Button " could be added.

Regards

P.S. Haven't given Export / Import a through try yet.

duttyend likes this.

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    The "Apply" button is in lower left corner and you don't have to be active, but I found the apply function little buggy with it saving.
    Meaning I hit apply but apply flashes for many seconds, sometimes hitting it again saves right away, it needs to go gray for settings to be saved.

I think I got better results by right after editing values, to highlight the plan > balanced, HP etc, then hit apply.

6. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Well, I guess I forgot where the Apply button was located since I have adjusted values with this program already. In any case, Thank You for pointing out it's location .
    BTW: This has also resolved the issue I reported in the above post.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  8. wiemar

wiemar Guest

GPU:
    gf 840m
    dzięki wielkie! tego właśnie dziś szukałem :) masz jakieś swoje ulubione ustawienie planu?

Tiny_Clanger likes this.
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Mostly Processor Power Management subgroup:
    - Processor performance increase threshold
    - Processor performance decrease threshold
    - Processor performance boost policy
    - Processor performance boost mode
    - Processor idle demote threshold
    - Processor idle promote threshold

These settings can turn Balanced power scheme into "Performance On Demand" one. Some people just disable P-states and C-states in BIOS. I prefer to play with these settings - it gives more flexibility.

duttyend likes this.
  10. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Feature Request: Looking for a Find Text Box. There are so many options that I'm looking for an easier way to locate options that contain a search word of search phase.
    Highlight existing list or new search window could open that indicates all matching search query.

Regards

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Request is confirmed...

duttyend likes this.
  12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Change log:
    - Pressing <Ctrl>+<F> in the grid with settings shows search toolbar with edit field for search pattern, buttons for searching of next, previous occurrence of pattern, button for hiding of search toolbar; search is performed only in cells of "current" column; search is case insensitive; search is performed with use of regular expressions (Regular Expression Language - Quick Reference), so pattern can be either simple word/part of word/phrase or regular expression.

13. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Great work and nicely done! Find function is working as describe.

Feature request #2: Any way of highlighting the column that you are searching.

Example: When you Press <Ctrl>+<F> , the first column would automatically be selected and Highlighted.
    When you want to search in the second column, you click in that column as you described and then that column is now highlighted to verify that you are now searching in that column.
    This would confirm no search result found in the current selected.

Regards

P.S. There is currently no way to close the search box after you have open it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    ??? Button "hide" to the left of search pattern edit box.

I don`t get what do you mean by "highlighted"? You see the selected cell, do you?

duttyend likes this.
  15. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    When you perform the search function, there is no way to know which column you are actually searching in. If you highlighted the whole column from the top of the column to the bottom of the page after you have clicked into a column, then you would know which column the search is taking place in.

This allows you to have visual feedback of two items
    1) It shows that you have selected the column you want to search in.
    2) If no search results are found then you know which column you were searching.

My apologies, I was looking for an " X " to close the search box. The hide function closes ( Hides ) the search box.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    To me this sounds as overstatement. Grid with settings has only 4 columns (and 3 textual ones to search). Current cell is always visible. Do you have huge monitor where I have trouble to relate the column of current cell?

I am too lazy to search for "X" icon...
    I can add hiding of the search toolbar by some key. For example <Esc>, or <Ctrl>+<F> (for toggling logic).

duttyend likes this.
  17. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Another example for the reason of highlighting:
    Start the program. Perform a search by Pressing <Ctrl>+<F>. At this moment in time I have no idea which column I am searching in.

It doesn't have to be highlighted, just some kind of indication of which column you are searching.

I wouldn't use <Esc> , I would use the toggle <Ctrl>+<F> to show or hide [ Close ] the search dialog box. Leave the " Hide " in case someone else would like to use that function or does not know about the toggle.

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Change log:
    - Key combination <Ctrl>+<F> now toggles the search toolbar (between visible and invisible).
    - When search toolbar is visible the header cell of current column (in which user searches for the pattern) is highlighted as selected cell.

19. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Find function toggle using Key combination <Ctrl>+<F> and Header cell of current column is now highlighted as describe above.
    Thank you for implementing the requested features and changes.

Great work and nicely done once again!!!!

Best Regards

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I get a blank screen (flat grey) apart from the box at the bottom with the 4 schemes.
    Tried running as admin, no change.
    Does this work on Windows 7?