Should I wait for RX Vega 56 or get 1070?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by IstariLight, Sep 14, 2017.

1. IstariLight

IstariLight Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD RadeonHD7950
    Hi guys. Pondering about that matter for days. I have enough money to get a EVGA 1070 SC but i dont wanna rush into a decision. Vega 56 seems promising. I have 1080p Freesync monitor (Viewsonic 2257).My aim is maxing out the graphich settings while having stable 60fps on recent/upcoming games. What do you guys think? Thx for reading

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Vega56 will drive 1080p maxed out very well, even with the current state of drivers. Also the card allows for future upgrading to 1440p or better.

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    It will be a card largely wasted on 1080p 75Hz, though, particularly when FreeSync is involved.

Try overclocking your display using ToastyX's CRU. Try on DisplayPort and DVI / HDMI as the former might have artificial limitations from the display controller's side while the latter might be more flexible, particularly if you patch drivers and unlock the pixel clock for SL-DVI / HDMI.

If the monitor supports FreeSync only over DisplayPort, and doesn't overclock over that interface, then if you achieve an overclock over one of the other two interfaces, you can enable FreeSync over HDMI using CRU, again, by adding a FreeSync range (at which point there's no good reason why the monitor would blank out, given it IS a FreeSync monitor - unless it explicitly does not support such over other than DisplayPort).

4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    If you have a freeSync monitor then Wait for V56 Custom AIBs :D
    You will be very happy.

Maddness likes this.

5. IstariLight

IstariLight Guest

GPU:
    Thanks for suggestions guys. I have decided to buy a Evga 1070 SC from amazon. Cheers!

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Why did you even ask us then? Such a waste of time.

7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Enjoy your lack of FreeSync support, and paying a lot more for GSync on a new one.

yasamoka likes this.
  8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Indeed! Now he can use V-sync on his 1080p 75Hz monitor and enjoy all the input lag too! :p

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    It's a shame really that NVIDIA doesn't support Adaptive Sync outside of their GSync solution. Heck, they use Adaptive Sync (FreeSync) on their laptop solution for the laptop panel. (no gsync chip is used) Proves that they can actually do it, and the bastards actually call it GSync.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    That's not necessarily true. They do not necessarily implement the Adaptive Sync standard. However, they do not use the G-Sync module that they use on the desktop counterparts due to the nature of laptop displays and embedded DisplayPort. Desktop monitors require a display controller which the G-Sync module replaces.

The correct assumption would be that they can likely achieve G-Sync support on the desktop side without the G-Sync module, by incorporating logic into their own GPU designs; however, further examination into the differences between the two approaches should answer why exactly such a module exists on desktop monitors, unlike on the AMD side with FreeSync (Adaptive Sync).

The G-Sync module also handles techniques such as variable overdrive and ULMB, and these sorts of features make a gaming monitor better.

Maddness likes this.

11. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I wasn't assuming anything. I worked at Asus corporate and I know how it's implemented. :) The iGSync is simply the Open Adaptive Sync technology.

12. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Are you sure of that?

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    You sound surprised that NV would use an Open standard because OEM laptop makers didn't want to get involved with proprietary solutions for laptop production that would drive up the costs and reduce profit margins.

14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Not at all, but I've been awaiting concrete evidence that would suggest that, say, the leaked ASUS driver actually did work with displays that technically (but not necessarily officially) supported Adaptive Sync such as the Korean monitors.

Have you had any experience running such monitors from a G-Sync supporting laptop with one of those drivers? Was it a success?

This would indicate that there could, in some way, be some hack to expose this functionality in recent drivers and thus gain FreeSync support on Nvidia graphics cards.

15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Mind you, if the laptop supports GSync over external ports to external monitors, then that solution is NOT iGSync but the typical proprietary solution. iGSync is only used for the internal display.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    I know, but articles that discussed the leaked driver claimed that the driver would enable "G-Sync" over Adaptive Sync monitors due to their essential reliance on Adaptive Sync in the first place for enabling iGSync.

17. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I suppose it's possible, but whether the driver uses the EDID info for the Adaptive Sync range is another matter entirely.

yasamoka likes this.
  18. IstariLight

IstariLight Guest

GPU:
    Well I didnt waste time asking for opinions. Seems that u lost sharing ur idea unwillingly :)

19. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    You should return that card back as 1070ti seems to be coming soon lol

20. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    thats what i'm holding out for to replace my 280x seeing as vega was such a let down :(