Need new fans - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by GroinShooter, Sep 11, 2017.

1. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    So I'm looking to replace my 3 aging fans (Corsair AF120s) in the front of my case with some new fans.
    I don't want to just straight up replace them with new but same fans as I've got 5 of them and all started to have a distinct motor noise after a few months of usage.
    No need for fancy RGBs but the fans need to be ok to look at, meaning brown Noctuas won't work, at all, no, stop it, they won't. However, I've been looking at some of the grey colored Noctuas, the NF-S12B redux PWM models to be precise. Those could work, if they're good. Also the magnetic levitation fans by Corsair seem like a rather good alternative?
    What fans would be the best for a ~1000RPM setting noise/airflow ratio-wise, just pure airflow with no radiators in the way.

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Personally I would go with Phanteks PH-F120MP or Phanteks PH-F140MP depending on yours case, but if yours case is as in profile then get Phanteks PH-F140MP or PH-F140SP fans these fans are very nice fans and don't go with 120mm fans if yours case supports 140mm fans,2* 140mm will flow more than 3*120mm fans

Have using mostly Phanteks fans and I'm very happy with them and their performance

EVOLV ATX is pretty restrictive case and way how to get most of this case is mod front and top panel there, few companies do that right now and is well worth it to do so in yours case

I bought 3* packs of ML120 fans for my friend build but he decided go with Phanteks PH-F120MP as well as he has been very impressed how they sounds on my PC

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    I have 3 of the mag lev fans in my case. They are expensive but really nice. They'll take DC or PWM controls from the motherboards and they look sick. Here it what one looks like in the case. They are the two in front and the one in back.

https://imgur.com/VMLFIgR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    GroinShooter and airbud7 like this.
  4. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Yes I do have the Evolv ATX TG case. I've modded the top and front already, albeit not so drastically. I don't use the front dust filter so the front intake fans have next to no restriction thus I don't really need static pressure fans. I did check out the PH120S' but the frames on those are white, otherwise they look great, darn it.
    I reserved two double packs of the Corsair ML120 fans and I'm gonna pick them up today. This seems to be the best deal as I can get 4 of these for the price of 3 Phanteks or other fans.

5. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Here they are now, they look quite slick. I really liked the grey/black ones so I went with those.

[​IMG]

I knew going in this that swapping the fans isn't going to be a quick job and boy was it a pain in the ass to do it. The pump/res combo is straight in the way of the mounting holes so mounting them wasn't the easiest thing. But oh almighty are these fans good, a lot more quiet than af/sp120s at the same rpm.
    I also noticed my 140mm exhaust fan in the back is making some rattling motor noise and now I have to swap it out as well. Not too much trouble as I have another Phanteks 140mm fan waiting to take it's place.
    Once I get them all swapped I'll post the final look :D

6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

With EVOLV ATX you need to modify front and top panel as this case have pretty restrictive panels and regarding the dust panels,depends if you are living in non dusty environment then I would't use them,but still use 140mm fans for front fans if its possible,PH-F120SP are I think black frames and MP fans can be bought as well black ones,over here I can get 3 pack fans for £26,these fans I bought several times for several builds which I have done for my friends

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phan...ue-radiator-performance-bundle-bu-001-pt.html

Regarding ML120 these fans I have as well reserved for my build and want to test them on my build as well and will see how they perform on my build,got 3 packs of them,plus have as well BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 3 packs and will be doing my testing on my loop

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

7. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

Looks good and you will see how they perform,I'm still bit dubious on these fans as right now have PH-F120MP which perform very nicely and don't need to swap them at all right now as I'm very happy,regarding the exhaust fans use Phanteks fans these fans push very nice amount of air through the restriction

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

8. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Nice choice.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Noctua is supposed to be releasing new fan lineup this month..

I'd wait for those if possible.

10. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Yeah I saw the Phanteks fans listed in both black and white but only the white ones were in stock, that's why I didn't buy them. Sadly the 140mm Phanteks fan I planned to use as a replacement for the current exhaust fan has motor rattle as well. Now I've ended up using the fourth ml120 as the exhaust fan.

Well that's interesting but it's somewhat late for that now :oops:
    I might check those out if they come out very soon and if Noctua releases a good radiator fan as I'm gonna swap my rad fans (sp120s) out as well. Currently I'm thinking of going all out maglev as these fans are amazing. The completely absent motor noise and silent operation had a bit of a negative impact on my rig as I can now clearly hear the motor noise coming from my 3 sp120s (which has always been there but now it's a lot more distinguishable). The incoming Noctua fans should be at least grey for me to even consider them though, brown isn't an option.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    A new a series 120 is supposed to be released soon.
    They tested it as slightly better than two NF-F12s which is pretty good.

12. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Just checked out the lineup. Can't find a word about grey or black variations of those models although I'd expect Noctua to drop them sooner or later. But now that I think of it it doesn't really matter what color the fans on the rad are. I could rather easily just craft up something to hide the fans behind and slap it in front of the fans here, we'll see.
    [​IMG]

13. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Shame they don't have more choices on fans,in my case I went with Phanteks PH-F120MP fans as I know how they sounds and know they have pretty good airflow through the radiator

I would use 140mm fans if its possible as they usually push more air than any 120mm fans at same RPM

Noctua planning to release their 120mm fans which are very similar to old Nidec Gentle Typhoon or Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP15 which still have good performance and still many people use them on radiator

Although I never run these fans but friend have used them on his build, he is happy with them, they have strange whine noise very similar to my EK Vardar F3 1850RPM at some RPM

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

14. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I know that colour scheme of Noctua is not for everyone but I have used their fans which are very nice fans although out there are several fans which have very similar performance than Noctua and cost less as well

Their "camo" colour scheme not sure, but I like them

New fan which seems is very similar to Gentle Typhoon AP15 and have similar 1850RPM max RPM as AP15 is just 15mm not as most fans are 25 or 38mm

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

15. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Silents Wings 3