Apple presents iPhone X with OLED Screen and Face ID

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 12, 2017.

1. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Its too expensive man, 1k is a lot of money! This must be for rich spoiled dubai teenagers or something.

2. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Is it only me or is that design... ugly is the word? Specs are impressive though.

3. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    I dont think that matters that much for a phone. I mean there hasnt been a time when my S7 cant do something I need it do. And since I dont play games gpu isnt a concern for me also on a phone.

4. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    the s7 is still an expensive phone, I would rather have an iPhone 7 vs an s7 though. Im really curious to see which iPhone sells best, the 8 still has great specs and I still like the screen on the iPhone 7 better than most high res android screens that are calibrated horribly.
    Remember it was Samsung that spent billions convincing the world anybody who liked apple is a sheep. Just look at the price of the upcoming note 8 lol (929 us, even more in most countries).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

5. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    lol i wonder why u compare intel vs amd, because it perform close in daily task
    but would rather more similar to compare OSX vs windows

apple - close enviroment hardware-software optimization will always likely better compared to open enviroment
    but nowdays, i dont think it like night and day different... most likely daily stuff will just like a sec different
    like this simple vids :

the only thing that usually ios win is loading time for game... thats mainly because better memory management than android-java

6. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    about hi-res android screen... u know those super-retina on iphone X is reported made by samsung , right?
    think that apple can magically calibrate the oled to be much different/better than samsung S/note lineup?

speaking the price, iphone X is $999 for 64gb also
    and apple did different to samsung ? both or doing same stuff to me
    and people with money will keep buying both phones

7. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    yes I am confident that apple knows how to calibrate a screen, they've proven themselves time and time again.

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I bet they still sell by the truckload, as these are the Nvidia of the mobile phone market :D

9. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    those type of vids are completely useless, its so easy to make one phone look better than the other in a test like that. From personal experience pretty much everything is smoother on an iphone because of the much better ipc. Heres another useless video just to prove my point, .

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It has little to do with the SoC's IPC and everything to do with Apple running OSX's animation stack on a completely separate thread that has priority over everything else. What makes matter worse is that widely popular products like the Note/S8 still have frame pacing issues on basic animations like opening the app drawer. I don't know if those issues correspond to the increased battery longevity against Nexus devices with similar capacities but I'd take smoother animations over slightly longer battery anyday of the week.

11. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Except it's not. The iphone 8 is more like the X than it is the 7. Both of the new A11 while the 7 has the older A10 processor. The 8 has the same wireless charging, 60fps @ 4k video recording while the 7 does 30fps @ 4k.

What some people don't get is the iphone 8 is the next generation progression of the iphone 7 and the price is about the same. Apple didn't jack up the price for the iPhone. What they did was release a new premium phone in the iphone X much like nVidia's Titan series of graphics cards.

As for me, my iPhone 5 is still chugging along just fine for my needs. Its built like a tank and the only thing i've had to do was change the battery about a year ago. All while watching my friends with Android phones shell out more money every year to constantly have the latest and greatest, or because they keep breaking. I'll take the iphone's build quality over android any day of the week. Many studies show android devices are far more likely to fail. https://www.blancco.com/resources/r...-performance-and-health-trend-report-q1-2016/

12. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    thats where you see the true value in the iPhone as a product, as time goes on the performance difference becomes more obvious to the point where any android phone that came out around the time the iPhone 5 did feels like a piece of junk in comparison (even to the average user).

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The big difference between say an iPhone 7 and a phone running a similar specced SD820, is Apple has offloaded some of the processing power off of the main SOC and basically put them on subsystems to process with their own dedicated chip. Both SOC's are ARMv8 based with about the same instructions, and higher powered cores and lower powered cores, but one issue where Apple falls short of with the A10's design for example is only the high powered cores or the low powered cores can be used at once. So if it's using the faster cores, the lower cores shut down. Since the 820 I believe Snapdragon could use mix different core performance no issue. But I don't believe this was native support until Android 6. I would say one thing A10 has over the 820 is probably the GPU.

Now that's comparing the A10 to the SD820, comparing it to the 835 you would definitely see more performance capabilities from the SD835 but not much really. Still ARMv8 based, but the main cores are A73 based, so it wouldn't be a fair performance comparison to the A10. Interesting to see how the SD835 stacks up with the A11B.

This I will agree with but you're also making it sound like it's because Android is a lesser product. Apple only has a small range of products they support with a closed source OS. Android is open, and Google is working more with hardware vendors now but in the past they weren't so cooperative, and usually hardware vendors tried to do too much on their devices. Plus, hardware vendors like LG, Samsung, put out so many different phones that usually only the top selling ones are the only one they continue to support and even build phones for a way lesser price knowing they won't update or support them for long. Heck, Samsung still supports even the S3 with KNOX updates and aside from touchwiz the S3 still holds up fairly well stock.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  14. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    I think we both know the qualcomm chip will be slaughtered in everything but multicore synthetic tests, and thats even with many android makers "cheating" on benchmarks. The big problem is that android makers are stuck fighting a battle of bigger numbers instead of actual better performance.

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The prices for the 8 ($770) are higher than the 7 ($700) when it was released, it took the wind out of me for even considering a purchase. $1000 for the X is just too much for a phone. I'm sure a lot of people will buy it anyway but I no longer feel like I'm getting my money's worth from high end phones. I've never spent that much on a PC part or even a TV, forget a mobile phone. I wish I could install iOS on an android phone though lol. I much prefer iOS.

16. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    How do you know? The 820 was released about 6-7 months before any A10 based chip was seen in a product, but still could trade blows no problem. Judging from what has been released about the A11B, there are only 2 high performing cores versus the 835 having 4 high performing A73 based cores. That alone right there is looking ahead for the 835. But, we'll see what happens.

Also, this has not been the case for most vendors now. Motorola/Lenovo has stepped up their game, and even the lowest tiered E series shows very acceptable performance despite being a low tier budget phone. The S8 and S8+ performance is still incredible despite not being a stock version of Android(Heck even the S7 wasn't that bad), and the Pixel still works no issue.

17. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    huh? the a10 crushes even the 821 http://www.androidauthority.com/qualcomm-snapdragon-821-versus-apple-a10-fusion-730146/

18. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Hardly say crush. You should have also read the wrap up of the article.

19. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Well recently i destroyed my s3 screen was my fault so be it, thing is i got my xiaomi note4x 5.5 inch 1080 p screen arm 625 4100 mah baterry 3gb ram and i am not kidding the bettery last 3 days and the 3rd day at night has about 20% battery , all that for 159 euro ,i browse the net check my mails and using it as an mp3 player never had a sinle stuter why would i ever want to pay 1200 euros to gain almost nothing ?

20. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I wouldn't be surprised if the next iPhone gets a rectal scanner.