Apple presents iPhone X with OLED Screen and Face ID

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Imagine the lolz if you accidentally got a thick lip or swollen eyes and the phone says, NO not you. It say's ones eyes must be open for it to recognize the user. I can imagine many scenarios that may effect the users ability to even unlock their own phone.

Honestly it's cool for kids to want the new tech an all but my daughter can get to F if she thinks she's getting one of these(@ that price at least), i think we are still paying for the one before still on soft arse here's bank account.

2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    I can already see the various 13-15 yr old kids screaming:
    "Mooooom I want the new Iphooooon... it's so cooool, please please please"

The corporations have won. Society has been brainswashed into zombie consumerism. Game over.

The question is what will happen after current generation of engineers and architects that didn't grow up in the smartphone generation (and actually learned to use their brains) retire.
    World will be left with just the kids above ^
    Scary thought.

Silva likes this.
  3. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    I don't have a phone and life is so peaceful.

Silva likes this.
  4. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    Actually Xiaomi was the first and they started all after negotiating with Google about using new displays with rounded corners(they talked about how it started on recent Mi MIx2 lunch), The Xiaomi Mi Mix started all of this full Display no Bezels Trend :), They have pushed all the market to get rid of the bezels :).

5. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    The price is going up for something that is value is 50% lower, i don't see the point to pay so much more money for face ID (it will not work as advertise) and Oled screen (not like many can spot the difference between screens).
    And i forgot the should be sued for trying saying they were the first.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  6. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    I think this iPhone X could be amazing, I always hated that physical or haptic Home Button. As a Nexus user I'll always envy the compass performance/accuracy from iPhones (I have a company/business spare iPhone with me, and it's pretty much accurate).

But this year, can't wait to upgrade from Nexus 6P to Google Pixel 2 (the smallest one) even if it doesn't have borderless screen like this iPhone X, the S8 or the Pixel 2 XL (based on rumours).

For my use, I really redeem the phones when travelling. Where I use:

- Several hours of Google Maps with compass and GPS. (GPS is fine, but compass was always a pain in Google Phones, you need to jedi your phone every time it's out of the pocket to calibrate the compass)
    - New: Google Trips (this app is really worthy, I started using it last weekend in Geneva)
    - HDR+ photos, where photos are better after taking them, than before. (All the unfocused areas are focused after post-processing. And the night sky is changed to black instead of crispy).
    - Panorama with only 1 photo (only when I need more FoV, in only 1 shoot, to catch a huge building).
    - Videos: I record in 4K this use a lot of battery. I think I'll compress from 4K to 1080p in the future to reduce space. The idea of recording in 4K is that you get a better overall quality, even in a 1080p monitor. But with my current phone (6P), you get some stuttering as well. And no optical or electronic stabilization.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  7. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Nice ideas but the price tag is insane.

I dont know what but I have a half feeling apple are running out of ideas and trying to milk their followers to keep the gravy train moving!!

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Many are bashing Apple for releasing a phone so expensive and although t agree with them that the phone is really expensive i think Apple is doing right by releasing it, why? Because that are lots of people who just want the "best" or want to show the "best" and for many of them 1000€ is just pocket change so why shouldn´t Apple milk them dry??? In fact if i was in Tim Cook´s shoes i would release Apple phones bathed in gold and with diamonds encrusted and sell them to rock/Hollywood/sports stars for crazy amounts of money!...

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Its a nice phone and all but it HAS NO HEADPHONE JACK unless you live in China because some how they got Apple to put in a headphone jack in the Chinese versions of the Iphone. Also with some of the flaws with Bluetooth Id rather purchase a cheaper phone that has a Headphone jack.

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    My Lumia 950 had facial recognition 18 month ago... Great feature.

11. anthos

anthos Guest

GPU:
    -
    Well you are proof that there were people in the previous generation that didn't use their brains either.
    Kids today will be more than fine so don't lose sleep over it.

And it is a bit ironic to see people crying about what a waste of money this is on a site where a lot of people want to get a threadripper and all they do is play games (one example of many).

12. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Just don't drop it!

Silva likes this.
  13. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    i am just neutral
    but apple usually good at marketing or promoting a product
    like showcasing a feature that been available for some quite time but when they promote it, it like new feature

the face id basically intel real-sense
    at best it prevent recognizing photo/pictures as ourself, not like samsung facial recognition feature, that can be fooled with pictures
    as it need 3D depth that a pictures/photo cant provide

the animoji basically is facerig

and now they trying to hype AR instead following the VR-trend
    but honestly i agree with apple regarding this
    AR is better (in term daily functional-wise ) than VR... i mean who will bring VR-gear with the phone everday ? ... AR on other hand just work with the camera system (no need bulky headgear)

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Apple is finally following trends of competitors it seems.

Display with no physical button.
    Their CPU design is starting to follow principals from Qualcomm and Samsung. 2 lower powered cores, and 4 higher powered.
    Multitasking in iOS11 on the X is very reminiscent of the card system the Palm Pre used in WebOS.

Let's talk Face ID.
    Face ID I think if implemented right could be the next Touch ID, if the system is really as secure as Apple claims it is. Which I believe it, but it looks like it's too secure. The first iPhone X failed to unlock with Face ID. Which is understandable, the product isn't final yet. There are bound to be some kinks to work out even considering the X's launch date isn't until November. The repair cost for these things though are gonna suck. Hopefully for people that repair phones on the side like me, Apple is sticking with their front face clip design for the screen at least.

This is most likely going to be my next phone unless Google impresses everyone with the next version of their Pixel soon.

15. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Well since Samsung owns 99% of the mobile OLED market choices are a little urm limited shall we say.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Different part of Samsung. I'm pretty sure Samsung fabs their SOC's as well.

17. nattefrost

nattefrost Guest

GPU:
    gtx 660
    whats up with the ugly top cutup on the X ? couldnt they make edge to edge screen like samsung? also the iphone 8 is a total flop- a 7 clone.

18. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    at the end of the day pretty much every android phone is lucky to even be able to compete with an iPhone 7, this and the 8 blow the android phones right out of the water. The apple socs are just so much faster in everyday tasks compared to the qualcomm stuff, its almost like intel vs amd.

19. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I'm not anti Apple as you know, but, it was funny listening to my Mrs justify the price of this phone to me. The "prestige" is high with this product and ofcourse, she made me feel like I was a poor and cheap piece of s***. Nice.

20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB