Power Supply issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by IchimA, Sep 3, 2017.

1. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    So here goes nothing. Last week monday I left for vacation so I have unplugged my computer from the electric socket so I won't have any surprises when I get back after 6 days .... BUT I still have ..... One big surprise ...

My power supply is Cooler Master real power M850 ... I think it is a good one , as when I acquired it I did some research . Problem is that when I put the cord back ...nothing happens ... nothing , the led on the back is not turning up , power in the pc is not coming . I now it has power as I almost electrocuted myself . Also I know that it has some power failure options on the PSU , but if I have to wait 6 days for it to start back on ... I will set it on fire.

So. .... does anybody went THROUGT a situation like this. If not .... can you recommend me a better PSU . Seasonic ? Super Flower ? Sirtec , Antec ????

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    First of all, check if its under warranty. Once its PSU fault, you should be able to exchange PSU with Master Cooler with working one.

I hope you didn't open screws to void warranty.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Unplug the PSU from the PC entirely and on the large connector that goes to the motherboard, short the green wire to black.
    This should make the PSU power up.
    If it doesnt then there is either a problem with power or the PSU has a problem.

If it does power up then plug it back into your motherboard and graphics card only.
    See if it powers up.
    If it does then add other hardware to it one by one.
    Hopefully you will locate what is stopping it power up.

If it fails to power up try and get a less powerful graphics card and see if that works.
    If it does then there may be a fault on your gfx card or your PSU may no longer produce enough power to support your hardware.
    This is how most PSUs end their lives.

Its possible there is nothing wrong with anything and its just a bad connection somewhere.
    If so, re fitting it should get everything working again.
    If problems continue try stripping the whole machine down, give it a good clean and re-assemble.
    tbh I would do this first but it depends how deep you are ok digging into a PC.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Already tried cleaning the pc ... now I have left to another city for work . I will be back on friday .... will try to short the pins when i get home.

5. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    No one else has a better idea ? Or experience with cm power supply ? I tried to e-mail CM ... but no one is answering

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Considering that PSU was introduced to the market in 2006, i think its time to replace it.
    It's an over 10 year old design, not really supporting latest atx spec for new systems.

What kind of budget are you wanting to spend on a new one?

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    I know it's an old design ... but it has ATX standard 2.3 and the latest it's 2.4. Also , I have bought it I think in 2009 .. to bad ( out of warranty ) ....
    About budget .... I think also around 150 euro ... But't I don't think I need that much power anymore .... thing is I don't know what to buy anymore ...

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  9. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    I can't belive it . CM has the worst support . I e-mailed 4 different quys. None responded .

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If your warranty is expired, I am not sure what you can achieve by contacting them.

Make sure it's PSU that faulty and replace it.

11. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    I don't need a replacement ! All I need is an explanation why it acted this way ! You have to admit it's a strange behavior. I will buy another one if the short won't work.

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I don't think they can come with accurate explanation without examining it. And since its out of warranty, they are not required to look into it.

Cool down, if you sure it's PSU, get a replacement. Things are not build to last forever.

Not related, but I had weird PC shutdowns month ago. Took whole rig apart, cleaned PSU as far I as could reach without voiding warranty and its back to normal. I don't know if dust caused overheating or affected capacitors. But it's stable so far.
    If you don't clean your PSU, lifespan might get shorter.

13. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Honestly I hope he didn't open it period, never mind the warranty. Opening a PSU is not exactly the wisest idea.

14. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    If you want to keep the PC in optimum condition you should open the PSU to remove dust . No compressed air spray can clean in-depth ... just my two cent's.

Thank for all the help guys. Will try to repair the PSU or get a new one. Let's see how the finances are rolling .

P.s. It's EVGA supernova G2 750 or 850 any good ?

I have been locking on a lot of PSU but none come close to the quality of this CM 800 that I own. Cables today all look like crap .
    I own a lot of cm products but I think I will skip them on the PSU front .
    So ... EVGA , Seasonic or Corsair ?

NOW I need the real GURU's

15. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    One should never need to open up the PSU just in order to keep it in optimum condition, yyyyeah maybe after 8 years but in general, no. A good bash of canned air is fine and if it isn't use a compressor with care. Be very cautious towards opening up a PSU. You could end up in a hospital or worse if you don't know what you're doing (not saying that you don't but in case...)
    As you said you bought the PSU back in '09 - that would be about 8 years ago, I'd bet it's about served it's own purpose and you'd be better of just getting a new one and be done with it. Heck, 8 years of life out of a PSU in gaming usage or similar, that's rather impressive to me.

I would just go with EVGA Supernova 750 G3 or 850 G3. Both are very reliable fully modular PSUs with plenty of output for future updates and whatnot. Plus both got good looking cables to go with them and a 10 year EVGA warranty, yes, TEN years. Seems to me like both of these are better in every aspect compared to your current one which you seem to believe to be a lot better than it actually is.

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Already sent you the best PSU you can get for the money on gold rated PSUs.

Read reviews at jonnyguru, you'll see it gets a near perfect score.

CM800 is a mediocre PSU, don't think that it has any comparison in quality to new ones like evga G3

17. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Supernova IT is then. P.s. it's not that I belive that the CM was the Best PSU , but it was a good one. Let me give you one exemple : my SATA conector has 4 outpots so for my hdd'S I use only one cable.

In know things have changed since 2009 so I really want a good PSU but I am not willing to go above 150 euros.

Edit : in Romania In can't find the G3 version. As far as I serched the only difference would ne that the G3 ia shorter . anything else ? Think I would go with the 750 w supernova. Should be enough for my phenom and the 970 . Is this power enough for a ryzen ? Maybe will upgrade next year?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    4 sata on one connector is very common, that has no bearing on quality of PSU though.
    Don't get any regular supernova.
    The original ones aren't near as good as g2/g3

G2 evga is also a good option, g3 is a newer platform with better efficiency.

Do you have a website i can look around at for recommendations?

19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  20. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Thanks for helping me ! Sorry If I was a Little stuborn but I like to make an informed decision when I buy Something. Max I will go ia 650 Ron - so 150 euro . Thanks again