Is Nvidia releasing anything new on the horizon?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by jbscotchman, Sep 9, 2017.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I wanted to upgrade to something before COD WWII releases, and I've been eyeing the 1060 for a while. When they first came out they were only $250 now they're around $300 and higher on newegg. I want something with at least 6gb of memory because it's clear that a lot of new games and future games really use up a lot of GPU memory.

So I'm asking should I go ahead and buy a $300+ 1060 or wait for Nvidia's next mid-range card?

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I would say buy right now the best gpu you can afford. Next nvidia gen video cards most likely to be released Q2 or Q3 2018.

blitz72 and airbud7 like this.
  3. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    CoD is never demanding, just get an AMD card as they play well with CoD

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I was gona buy 1060gtx then noticed this too, one many reasons why i still have not bought a new card

airbud7 likes this.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Don't expect next generation to be cheaper.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    initial release are cheaper then after words do to the stupid miners buying up the cards,

7. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    For a set of specific cards that tend to be "better" for mining.
    It's a normal law of any market, if supply cannot meet demand, this causes price to rise across the board. As long as specific cards will be good for mining / whole mining pyramid will exist, we will have this, unless at some point supply will exceed demand. In your case, due to excess demand on gtx 1070 of any kind, we have people that want to buy it, but due to it's inflated price because of mining they go for gtx 1060 instead as it is still in their budget range.

However there are cards that while still can be used for mining, are too expensive / have worse price to coin ratio.
    Example - during launch I have purchased it for 899 quid, now it's 799.

Save up, and get a gtx 1080, it's the best value right now for 1080p/ 1440p.

8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I always buy the second tier card of a line-up and I'm always happy with performance. I have a 1070 GTX and no complaints.

9. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    In spring 2018 new generation will arrive. They have the 1080 Ti for now and holiday season. gl

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i have heart attack just trying to getting my self to spend 300$ on 1060GTX 400/500$ cards arnt happening, if i some how got one them for free or like some ridiculously cheap price new i would,

I also like my GPU to use 1x6 pin 2x6 or 2x8 pin, 1x8pin variants i find to have to coil whine, i like my computer nice and quiet like it is, which right now the loudest thing in it my 8 year barrucuda 500gb drive, if that thing isnt loading some huge i cant tell my pc is on other then the fact it has blue led, i thought the hype on the FD define R4/R5 silence and while still keeping the pc inners cool was over hyped, but it leave up to special when you got it for 59$ cpu bearly hits 55c under full load and gpu hits 73c ish under full load, which same temps i got from that card, in my old case on full load, cept i really heard that gpu fans at those temps in old case R5 is like it not on.

fan noise is one thing coil whine different beast, i could be in completely different room 30+ feet way and i will hear coil whine, my ps4 psu has coil whine like almost all ps4 i heard when it off that i hear clear as day, while most people have to stick there ear right next to it to hear it.

most expensive card i bought was evga 670ti it had blower stlye fan which was like jet engine and had some nasty coil whine

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    The latest rumor is that a 1070Ti could be in development to compete with the Vega 56. A probable scenario would be 2048 CUDA cores instead of 1920 in the vanilla version, faster GDDR5/GDDR5X memory and higher clocks in general.

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    The the power pin setup has no correlation with coil whine.

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Well... they could as generally those GPU's with more robust power delivery systems use better quality chokes and have a higher power delivery. Though I agree with your main point that the connector and pin count alone shouldn't affect it.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    1x8pin draws more power then 1x6pin which what cause coilwhine if things arent insulated/protected right. the fact you think it was "pin count" it self and not the power draw difference between the 2 make me wonder about the people here even more. 1 draws up to 75watts other draw up 150watts.

Pin count is irrelevance it the power drawn from different pin counts that will cause it. total amount pulled is directy correlation on coilwhine 6 pin has less chance of happen due to it limited to 75watt 8 pin has more chance cause it can go all up to 150watts specially if it has bad chokes insulation.

I have battery chargers and led lights various other electronics that have coil that pull less power but have whine cause poorly insulated. hell the power transformer for my router has whine to if they pull even more power that whine would be worse.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20

What?

8pin does not draw more power, it's a spec limit.

6 pin and 8pin both have 3 12v leads, 8pin has one additional ground wire and 1 sense wire..

It does not matter if a card has 2 6pin, 2 8 pins, 2 8 pins and 1 6pin or anything combination.

Just because the card has an extra 8pin or whatever the card will still only draw what it needs.

A 6pin is not limited to 75watts, it can draw well over 150watts; as I said before that is purely a specification from PCIE SIG

Cards coil whine because of the manufacturers choice in conductor.

Conductors resonate at higher frequencies based on load or type.
    Even with no load some will make a whine.
    Certain conductors are inaudible compared to others.

Example types: iron core, ferrite core(Soft or hard), variable, ceramic layered.
    Point is there are dozens of types and inductor whine has nothing do with what you said, only the type of inductor used.
    The cheaper to produce conductors are the ones that usually make the noise.

So again, nothing you claimed as any correlation to coil whine.

Lastly, open up PSUs and you'll notice globs of glue on spots, that is to absorb the resonance from inductors.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    and the more power that is drawn bigger the chance there is for it to happen.. which was my point which is apparently lost. every card i had that was 8pin had coil whine no mater the load it had, out side idle, and only hand full of card i had that where 6 pin had coil whine,and that was always the off brand card that did it.

and just cause the pin could draw more then specified dont mean it done. a pcie slot is spefied up to 75 watts for the slot, for reason, you can draw more power but it will do damage to mobo, and other parts like what happen with amd with one there current cards that power by the slot only but pulled more then it should of.

next you gona say it normal for psu to have coil whine when pc is powered off..

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  17. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Not anytime soon. Spring time. gl

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No I can just tell you're not an electrical engineer so you really don't understand what you're saying.

I have had cards with dual 8pins with no coil whine and dual 6pins with coil whine.

For the last time, it does not matter.

19. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I'm the same way which is why I'm still sporting a 770 instead of opting for a 680 earlier, or 970 Maxwell which is why I'll probably end up withe the 1060 6gb. Thanks for all the feedback.

20. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    my gtx 970 has no problem with 1440p...