Ryzen 3200MHz RAM issues?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by xIcarus, Aug 29, 2017.

1. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I remember a while back that Ryzen RAM support was poor and not very reliable, or something along those lines. I also remember they were fixed through BIOS updates, is this right?

The reason I'm asking is because after numerous random game crashes (actually alt-f4s, the game would randomly disappear from my screen without any error or warning), my new build got stuck in a reboot loop due to a BSOD with the message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL after updating the BIOS.
    The thing wouldn't go away unless I deactivated XMPP, after which it didn't seem to exhibit any other weird behaviour.

Some guy on reddit suggested that most people are having issues running 3200MHz RAM on Ryzen and that I should run at 2933. While a solution which might work, why do I need to do this? Is RAM support on Ryzen really that procreating atrocious even today? I paid for 3200MHz RAM because I know how Ryzen likes its fast memory, and I need this CPU at its best since I'm gaming at 144Hz.

Or am I looking at a faulty mobo? I tried swapping the modules from slots 2/4 to 1/3 and the thing absolutely refused to even POST!

Any ideas?

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Support for memory has been improving, it all depends on the motherboard and the RAM modules used. What motherboard do you have, and what RAM modules?

3. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Oh sorry, I forgot we no longer have our specs in the sidebar.
    Mobo: GIGABYTE AORUS GA-AX370-Gaming K5
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz

From what I've seen, this memory is not in the mobo's supported list (http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-K5-rev-10#support-doc).

Would this explain why it won't sit at 3200MHz? But why doesn't it accept the slots in slots 1/3?

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    That kit is hynix or micron based.

3200 and above require samsung B-Die kits, (3200 C14 3600 C16 etc)

5. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    And i suppose support could be added in the future or am I waiting for nothing?
    Also, any thoughts on refusing to post with slots 1/3 occupied?

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Honestly, who knows.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they never work.

Samsung is just a much better kit and easier to work with.

As for slots, could be faulty slots(unlikely they are both out but canhappen) or it just doesn't like the ram.
    I'm sure samsung would post on it.

7. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    All right, I'll try to get my hands on a samsung-based kit. Thanks a bunch for pointing me in the right direction.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
  9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I'm at 3333, 3466 worked but was a little iffy. I have 3733 G.Skill RAM, bought before my build and the price rise, plus was a good deal!

10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    It's likely by design that slots 1/3 don't post with two modules. Ryzen systems are picky and my mobo manual states clearly to use 2/4 with 2 DIMMs (ASRock X370 Killer SLI).

Memory support has improved a lot since launch but Hynix modules seem to be tricky especially.
    In general single rank, single sided modules work best and Samsung B die is the best option.

AGESA 1008 based upcoming Bioses should improve memory compatibility further.

11. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Yeah I read something similar recently. Apparently I just 'lucked out' when I inserted the modules in slots 2/4 since I had absolutely no idea of this. I'm assuming it should work well if I decide to upgrade towards 32GB.
    Definitely looking forward to upcoming BIOS updates.

And as an update to my situation: the modules are happily running 2933MHz, haven't tried 3066 yet.

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ^ nice! Btw when oc'ing RAM (or even trying to reach nominal speeds past 2933) increase SOC voltage to 1.1 V. It helps stabilize memory as it controls the memory controller voltage, among other things.

My modules are 3000 / C14 but I can do stable 3200 / C16 by just bumping the SOC voltage, RAM volts at default. Running @ 2933 / C14 though as the perf differential wasn't that much (barely noticeable in benchmarks).

G.Skill TridentZ 3000 / C14 (Samsung B-die).

13. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try this one of these evenings.
    Along with OC-ing the CPU as much as I can, I haven't gotten the opportunity to dig my hands into it. Can't wait <3.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Most 7 and 5 series CPUs will do 3.8 - 3.9 GHz with around 1.3 core volts. 4.0 Ghz+ is where things often start getting trickier and usually require exponentially more volts.

For example I can do 3.9 Ghz w/ 1.3 volts but 4.0 needs 1.425 volts already! Even slightly lower will crash. Ryzen 5 1600 CPU.

However even 3.8 Ghz on all cores is a serious performance boost over stock clocks.

15. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Damn, that's quite a bit of a voltage increase just for 100MHz. That reminds me of my old 2600k, it required an absolutely crazy amount of extra voltage to go the extra mile from 4.6GHz to 4.9. Absolutely refused to go past that though. Mental chip, by far the best overclocker I've ever had - the guy went to 4.3GHz with stock voltage and it needed very little extra for 4.6.

I'm hoping for a 4GHz on this Ryzen since I'm going for 144Hz 1080p gaming, some extra per-core performance boost would be really sweet.
    But as you said, even 3.8GHz is a serious performance boost. I really wouldn't mind if it caps out at 3.8-3.9GHz.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Good luck! Maybe you have a golden chip that'll go past 4.0 GHz with ease. Ryzen 7 CPUs might have slightly better chances for overclocking than Ryzen 5's.

IIRC some have successfully hit 4.0 - 4.1 GHz with around 1.3 - 1.35 volts. Maybe even 4.2+ GHz but that's water cooling territory really.
    Ryzens seem to have a clear threshold frequency each, up to that frequency the voltage increases required are minimal, past that the voltage required skyrockets.