Please Read: Faulty F5 BIOS Update For Ryzen Gigabyte X370 motherboards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. FuriousAngel

FuriousAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4700 OC
    So how does that work, would Gigabyte buy you a new processor if yours gets fried because of their faulty BIOS?

And I just bought a Ryzen mainboard from them, not feeling comfortable now :/

3. alxtorrentazos

alxtorrentazos Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060 OC
    That is the risk you assume when testing a Beta BIOS over a new platform.

4. koniu

koniu Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    This i why i never update Bios, drivers, OS asap.
    Usually I wait week or little more before i do that. If user feedback is positive then i am updating

alanm likes this.

5. butjer1010

butjer1010 Active Member

GPU:
    RX6900XT Toxic EE
    That was not a beta BIOS, it was F5 !

6. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Gigabyte has been slipping in quality the last few years.
    Bad/poor VRMs in comparison with the competition and buggy BIOSes.
    On the AM4 platform their boards are just crap. Seems they care more about RGB leds lately than actual features and quality.

7. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Do correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Gigabyte kind of famous, or infamous, for releasing newer revisions of boards after launch with actually cheaper components?

Ie. rev 1.0 is usually the best, later revisions might be worse. Never had a GB board myself, always used only Asus and, as of late, ASRock.
    I had one GB graphics card for a while, bought second hand for a SLI setup, and it was fine while it lasted (resold).

8. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    This is a major fuckup I'd say.
    That's why I always bought Asus: my Pentium 4 board died with 2 years and a half, after 3 months of wait they sent me the repaired board. It's been +14 years now and still works.
    My i5 2500k have been running on an Asus MB since 2011 without issue too.
    My thoughts are: you can cheap out on MB version, but don't cheap out on the MB vendor!

airbud7 likes this.
  9. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, not cool at all, glad I didn't update it right after it was uploaded.
    Somehow my last three boards turned out to be Gigabyte provided me with best price/feature combination. Also, had a 1155 motherboard for 5years which I bought second hand, was overclocked to the max all those years, worked like a champ. Sold it after 5 years for more than I paid for it back then. Also, had MSI 990X and Asrock higher end boards which served me excellently. So from my experience I came to a conclusion that you can cheap out of MB vendor as long as it's higher end board. ;)

10. travian

travian Member

GPU:
    gt 240
    I have a similar problem with asus rog crosshair vi hero and 1800x cpu, when the CPU CORE BOOST in bios is ON my pc became unstable on rendering and gaming, CPU Vcore voltage spike up to 1.55 v so I had to turn it off for have a stable pc so without overclocking i stock at 3.6 ghz :( and i use wrait max cooler so i think it's better i stay away from overclocking...now my cpu vcore voltages on highest point is 1.245 V 3.6 ghz

11. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    You updated your BIOS?

12. wantobe

wantobe Member Guru

GPU:
    With stock settings my 1600x vcore goes over 1.5v as well, but fortunately it doesn't cause any instability or temperature issues. I was very surprised about the voltage spikes in the beginning and started browsing forums to seek for an answer. What I found out is that a lot of people were reporting same observations so maybe there is an actual issue with your hardware? :(

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  13. travian

travian Member

GPU:
    gt 240
    possibly there is an issue but for right now i'm ok with it, I could play most of the games on high settings and I am amused by rendering ability of ryzen but I'm not sure of the performance in future games because of my problem.
    my cinebench r15.0 score is 1537 @ 3.6 GHz after two or there bench with all of the background apps closed (so it basically acts like a1700x :(:(:() and best overclock that i could get out of it is 3.7 ghz with wrait max cooler (cinebench r15.0 score 1600) but i don't remember the voltages (i think it wasn't reasonable so i run it at stcock 3.6ghz)

14. travian

travian Member

GPU:
    gt 240
    Yes it's the latest 1501, I update it two days ago and I test it on CPU CORE BOOST ON it was better this time voltage doesn't spike as high as 1.55 V but it does go up to 1.48V so i turned it off again
    even with these problems I love performance of ryzen, at the time other ryzen 8 cores wasn't available so i had to buy 1800x probably i would go with 1700 or 1700x for lower price so i could buy a LIQUID COOLER ...my highest temp with 5 case fan in full load aida 64 test is 74 C (with sensemi turn off from bios)

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    True and this seems to be confirmed again and again lately. Too bad, I had loads of Gigabyte motherboards/gpus in the past. Hopefully they will get their stuff straight or else they might end up badly.

16. erazerswe

erazerswe Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060
    My last 2 motherboards has been Gigabyte my older was the GA-MA770-UD3 and its been flawless and still works very well, gave it to a friend when i upgraded. My current one is the 990 FXA-UD3 and no issues so far, both with the latest bios versions. But sure this isnt good and i dont really get how this wasnt noticed before they released it, though same things have happened with Nvidia drivers a while ago if im not mistaken, driver caused cards to overclock and overheat. In any case i usually dont update right away until i read some feedback on the drivers/bios versions

17. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    People always react egregiously when an issue is reported--think they "have it", too, even when they don't. People think all kinds of things, but that doesn't make them true...;) I learned long ago when people report so-called "serious issues" that in most cases (not all, of course) their "issues" are far from universal, and more to the point, I learned just how much information gets left out of the story in the retelling...

Q: Were you overvolting and overclocking when the event occurred?

A: No, uh....er...well...just a little bit...

Q: What was that? Couldn't make that out...

A: Yea....OK, yea, I was...But what has that got to do with anything?

Q: Did you by chance turn off the cpu protection circuit which is on by default in the bios?

A: NO!...Er, well, not sure...OK, yes I did! But what has that got to do with anything?

Years ago--I will never forget it--I was trying to help a guy with a problem in a forum and one of the first things I asked was if he was overclocking/overvolting, and I suggested that if he was then the first thing he should do is set all his clocks and voltages back to stock--he said no he wasn't and so I never brought up the issue again. *Twelve forum pages, and three days later*, after I was out of suggestions and advising him to buy something else--the truth comes out. "Hey, my problems have all resolved! All I had to do was to set all of my clocks and voltages back to stock--and now everything is fine--no more intermittent problems!" I asked him, of course, why he'd lied and wasted so much of our time and energy since that was the *first thing I was suggested!*, and he said that he thought that overclocking and overvolting *could not be* an issue because cpus were guaranteed to overclock and overvolt! I thanked him for his honesty--finally--but that was the last lengthy troubleshooting problem I ever attempted in a forum--there's simply too much that for some reason or other people *leave out*--lots they simply aren't telling you. I guess that guy's attitude was, "Yea, I know that overvolting and overclocking are not supposed to be guaranteed by the manufacturer, but I don't believe that!"....;)

Just yesterday, I read a post from someone in a forum that said about a patch that had been written for a recent game, "I don't believe there is any way that a little ol' skimply two-megabyte patch can bug-fix hundreds of bugs and several quests!" So, I guess he thought it was a Fake Patch...;) No kidding--believe it or not! The ideas that people get in their heads would make a fantastically humorous book if only we could access all of them...!

Silva likes this.
  18. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    HH had just about persuaded me to buy the gigabyte x399 gaming 7 (mainly due to the usb 3.1 headers) over the asrock x399 taichi.

had outstanding luck with asrock and msi mobos. may just get the msi x399 carbon ac

19. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    and yeah i know the news is on the x370

20. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    you restarted the config after update? your memory is in the "Compatible List"? a friend has that Mobo with an 1700x and i noted that memory affects CPU capabilities (like OC and vcore), if problems stays, change your Mobo to MSI or Asrock...