AMD to Release NVMe RAID Support September 25th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Mine is of the firmware variety because I boot from it and I run Windows 10 pro x64 on it and I've tried the separate SSD as boot and it's slower not by much mind you but still slower than my RAID0 array

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I can see why you might see a performance increase booting SATA SSDs via RAID0. Depending on your configuration (SATA controller, the drives, the block size, the filesystem, OS, etc) you can get better performance when RAID'ing an SSD, but in most cases you don't. I'm pretty confident you won't notice a performance difference with M.2. In fact, I bet you'd lose performance.

3. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    And there in lies the crux of the matter there isn't an M.2 slot on the Asus CrossHair V Formula so RAID0 is it for speed or find an bootable PCIe SSD card but I'm not interested in paying out the several hundred bucks they want for them here

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I was referring to if/when you get a X399 board.
    But in your case, you can still get a PCIe to M.2 card - they're not expensive. Or, just a straight-up PCIe SSD.

As for your current setup, you'e going to lose more performance in the long run if you don't have TRIM enabled. Also keep in mind - you lose time during boot due to the RAID controller initializing. If the only reason you're using firmware RAID instead of software is because of boot speeds, well, you haven't really gained anything. Use a single drive for boot, use software RAID for your SSDs, and you'll get the best of both worlds.