$15 per hour minimum wage...your thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Sep 3, 2017.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Supporters of the higher wage say it's impossible to live on $7.25hr and I agree but a team of economists at the University of Washington recently found that low-income workers across all businesses in Seattle lost an average of $125 a month because of reduced hours or job loss after that city enacted a $15 minimum.

So what should minimum wage be where you live?...

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Minimum wage for 25+ in the UK is £7.50 per hour ($9.71)

Still quite tight to live from after rent, council tax and bills

airbud7 likes this.
  3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    There are "some" valid arguements on both sides but the reality is $7.25 an hour is not a liveable wage in the majority of the country. I'm sure that there are plenty of things these companies can cut back on to pay they're employees enough money that they can afford to feed themselves.
    I know people that work 3 minimum wage jobs and still are just barely paying their rent, food, utilities, etc... Like I said, there are some parts of the US that this might be manageable, but anywhere close to a major city and it's impossible.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Over here minimum wage vs benefits, on benefits you're generally better off, you get free prescriptions, dentist, rent, council tax, and other things that you have to pay for when you're working, doesn't really give people the incentive to find a crappy minimum wage job when they can have their freedom and and equal amount / more money not working

allesclar likes this.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I believe that increasing the minimum wage is wrong. Sure, you should increase it over time but not straight away from £7.50 to £10.00 that would lead to inflation increasing dramatically.

What government needs to do is decrease or eliminate business tax for small businesses. Allowing them to offer more attractive jobs at better wages, with better benefits. They also need to increase corporation tax for large businesses and block the loop wholes that allow these large companies to pay less than 1% tax when raking in billions.

Get rid of zero hour contracts, these are horrendous and they were only invented to claim that more people are in work when in fact they are working extremely small amount of hours and are only just able to scrape by.

You need to bring wages in line with inflation, or even better bring wages above inflation so people have more money to spend or save further increasing growth within the country. Just increasing one or the other dramatically will cause another recession.

I believe in a government model that takes things from social democracy, and conservative beliefs. People shouldn't get everything for free, but then again governments shouldn't be so involved in everything. Bailing out the banks was the worst thing the governments ever did, this is why the growth since 2008 has been so slow and so bad. Governments should be more open, and transparent making people believe in them more.

I am totally for Jeremy Corbyn becoming the next PM of the UK. Some may not agree with me I totally understand this, people seem to blame Labour for everything in this country. The only thing they did wrong was going to war in Iraq, this cost the country insane amount of money and nothing good comes from war. Just debts and innocent people dead. They blame Labour for over spending when in fact it was the misinformation from the banks that there was loads of money to spend when in fact there wasn't. Guess where Theresa May came from... she is an ex-banker.

Today's Labour is NOT the same party it was ten years ago, it brings some new ideas to the table, it shows actual change with new ideas and new beliefs. And heavens forbid we vote in a leader that doesn't want to bomb defenceless farmers in fields then only to turn them away when they come knocking on your borders asking for help after you just killed their whole families.

Ok I have gone off topic now, sorry for the hijack. I go really over the top on this stuff, but honestly people should actually read each parties manifestos in their complete form before making snap judgements based on past events, or based on snippets shown in the media.

airbud7 likes this.
  6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Minimum wage is not intended for someone to live off of. Raising it only causes inflation. Now the issue that needs to be tackled is the inflating cost of living across the country. A lot of it have to do with the cost of compliance and increasing business taxes. Now I'm not saying eliminate all regulation but it needs to be cut back to something more common sense like. The FDA needs to be gutted and start anew. (Though I'm not sure I would want this administration doing that).

airbud7 likes this.
  7. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    From my understanding, it seems like minimum wage is never meant to be lived off of. If you want to live off of minimum wage you need to work multiple jobs, which so many seem to take issue with.

Increasing the minimum wage just adds to inflation so I don't see any benefit to it.

lmimmfn, lucidus and airbud7 like this.
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    what about the people that cant find any jobs other then job that offer min wage?, there people with degree's and all that lovely papers that cant find jobs, either way min wage has really stay the say for longer then it should and most raise people get are usual less then 1$ while every thing else keep s getting more and more expensive.

airbud7 likes this.
  9. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    If you put more money in peoples pockets they'll spend it, the american dream is not to be super wealthy. Or at least in my opinion, I want everyone to be able to maintain a decent standard of living, I want all americans to be able to feed their children and not be left out.

airbud7 likes this.
  10. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I mean I spent 5 years in college. Someone would have to pay me well over minimum wage to make it worth my while to go there in the first place. It just so happens that they don't stop paying me that much after I've paid off college.

Tbh I really don't feel bad for folks that went to college for a useless degree and then can't find a job. College is a personal investment, and a choice. If you don't invest well, that isn't my problem. It seems like technical school is really thought of as bad, but a lot of degrees that come out of those schools are relatively easy to get, fairly cheap, and overall a good personal investment.

lucidus and airbud7 like this.

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    College degrees mean a lot less these days than they used to. Not only that but the cost of going to college has increased so much over the years that it puts it out of reach for many people.

airbud7 likes this.
  12. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    This is a sincere question: When did people start thinking that working minimum wage jobs equated to be able to raise a family from it? Minimum wage was created, first established in the US in 1938. That first minimum wage was 25 cents/hour or roughly $43 per month. What was the average house rent in 1938; $27 per month or 62% of the monthly wage. Let's go a little further into what 1938 looked like on average. Bread was 9 cents or 36% of the hourly wage, gas/petrol was 10cents/gallon or 40%. Let's now look at translating these figures to $15/hr. Bread should then look to be $5.40 per loaf. Gasoline - $6.00 per gallon. Rent - $1,620. Sad to say, depending on where one lives, these adjusted prices are darn near what they are today exception being gasoline. So by today's standards, $15 per hour is what minimum wage should be. Just the same, raising a family on minimum wage even at $15/hr is still going to be a struggle. What is the average income today? In 2015 the national wage index average was $48,098.63. Given a 2,080 hour work year, 1938 equates to $0.83/hr. So minimum wage was 30%. That would make minimum wage in 2015, $14,447.54 or $6.95. What method does one use to compute minimum wage is the argument. My vote goes to $15/hr. Two hours work to get a gallon of milk...imagine a gallon of milk at $30/gallon; thankfully that will not happen.

[​IMG]

The1 and airbud7 like this.
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Minimum wage here is $3 / hour before taxes, insurance, ... for full time employee (40h/week).
    And you would be surprised that cost of living is pretty close to all western countries. Some stuff like food costs even more...

To put it into perspective, if person on minimal wage had absolutely no costs for living (food, housing, energies, fun), and wanted to invest entire income into building a house, ...
    One month of work would allow them to buy 4m^2 of land on periphery of our city.

airbud7 likes this.
  14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Cool stuff Clouseau^.....@$15 per hr a teenage couple could work at McDonald's and have $30 per hour for there household and that would work down here where I live.....

15. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Yeah and if you're a single parent working minimum wage, good luck finding child care you can afford. Even at $15 I don't think you're making it. Child care prices are a whole different issue though. Here in DC its almost $2,000 a month for one kid.

airbud7 likes this.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It's about $1,000 here in Florida for my daughter. Me and my wife make decent money but that is still a huge chunk of your monthly income.

airbud7 likes this.
  17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    If minimum wage became 15, inflation would happen across the board.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    And then they'll be moaning for $20, lol

lucidus likes this.
  19. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    In San Francisco 15 an hour gets you nowhere

20. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Will not raising the minimum wage also increase unemployment, since employers will not be able to sustain their current employees at the increased minimum wage. They will let employees go and ask those remaining to do more work.

airbud7 and lucidus like this.