Windows Fall Creators Update available from October 17th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The RS2 update completely FUBAR'd my OS. There were bugs across the board for pretty much everything, including all pre-DX 11 games crashing on startup. I tried everything to fix it and nothing worked. In the end the only thing I could do was a clean installation of RS2.

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I had the same start menu issues on my desktop. It worked normally during the insider days but the RTM build was broken, so strange. I tried it again recently and it was still broken for me. It worked fine on an old laptop on the other hand. I'm on RS1 LTSB, I don't care enough for anything they're adding and I'm content with having a stable O/S for a long time instead of half baked feature updates every 6 months.

That file open prompt can be stopped via group policy. COmp config->admin->windows components->file explorer and set do not show new application.... to enabled. I don't see that prompt any more.

BTW are you seeing flickering in libreoffice's GUI?

3. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    I still haven't installed April's. It broke sound for those of us using DDL/DTSi
    Also to Aura89, can you fix your sig? It's "than" not "then". It offends me! lol

4. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Same here. If I could not get my hands on LTSB, I would stay with Windows 7 for the few things I need it for + Linux for everything else. I would just do that anyway but shortly after Windows 10 came out, Windows 7 began to run like poo in games (A brand new and updated install I mean). Lot's of stuttery, choppy gameplay that never used to be that way. Oddly, frame rates are still better on WIN7, but it's just not smooth any more. Call me a Tinfoil hatter, but I am convinced the newer updates cause it...probably intentionally. Could be just the drivers are all optimized for Windows 10 now or something too, but whatever the reason, Windows 7 is feeling pretty sluggish for games.

Thanks for the gpedit tip, will give it a go.

I have not seen any flickering in Libreoffice, but I very rarely use it, just the occasional Writer use to view or edit a .doc or something. I did notice the the fonts look pretty bad in the menus though. Like they are being badly resized or something, but otherwise it seems fine.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    No problems with CU April, a keeper. Looking forward to October update.

6. nexus35

nexus35 Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    No Redstone 4 is already out
    16353.1000.rs_PRErelease.170825-1423

7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Welcome to retail beta testing.

Also included: Free additional white hair growth and operating system anxiety.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yep

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    RS4 won't be out until next year, very early insiders builds only atm, this Fall Creators Update is RS3

10. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Never had any major issue with any W10 build. Just the typical small annoyances from MS. Inconsistent design language everywhere and bugs here and there but never had any big problem.
    Just like with any Windows version until now there will always be someone who will get badly screwed from bugs. Windows XP, 7, Vista and 8/8.1 were no different.

11. nexus35

nexus35 Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
  12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  13. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  14. CoMmAnDrX2

CoMmAnDrX2 Guest

GPU:
    MSIGTX680 Lightning
    How does a normal end user get LTSB seeing it is only for Volume License users only? And no Pirating is not an option!

Honestly think MS should make LTSB available to home users that want it.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That's the only way unless you buy a very expensive VL I imagine

The way I see it, I have a genuine license for Pro and Home, if I want to run a version of 10 with less features then I will, it's not as if it's adding anything that I didn't already own with a genuine license other than a couple of telemetry options

Angantyr and CoMmAnDrX2 like this.

16. justdoge

justdoge Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Gaming X
    nice, more bugs and problems to fix.
    like CU wddm 2.2 isnt enough. this development cycle is such a fail boat

17. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    All the way back to XP I have handled major updates the same way and so far I have had 0 issues.

1. Uninstall anything you don't need and completely uninstall any security software (you can reinstall after upgrade).
    2. Build an install image that has the major update integrated, dump it to a desktop folder.
    3. Launch the installer and when prompted allow it to search online for additional updates.
    4. Sit back and let the upgrade install play out.

18. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    And here come the usual trollers.

You don't need to do a clean install every time you update - you're OCD. Don't worry, I'm OCD too, just I've grown lazy. It works perfectly fine doing an upgrade over the top.
    Same goes with the display driver uninstaller fan club. I've installed my NVidia GPU drivers over the top with "no clean installation" for the last 4 years and I've had no issues.

The only annoying thing is after each upgrade a setting or two may need to be re-applied, and that's about it.

I'm looking forward to the fluent design most.

19. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Sometimes pirating is the only option when silly decisions are made for you.

Legit or not it's utterly irrelevant. Personally I run Enterprise. Less fuss than Home or Pro and allows proper control over the GPEdit etc...

Also with a custom build of Enterprise you can remove most of the Home/Pro nonsense totally. Updates like the April CU are also less likely to break from my experience.

Though for customers who just update without knowledge of what can go wrong, well there's not a lot they can do when it does and the April update caused all sorts of chaos.

20. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    Threads like this really get the OCD crowd out don't they :D How thread count and processes etc are remotely important I have no idea, we're not using single core CPUs anymore...my main issue is that Microsoft will reinstall some of that candycrush/clans/minecraft crud that arrives with a fresh install...just staaahp it already MS >_<