Windows Fall Creators Update available from October 17th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Yay a continuation of the April screw up. I look forward to more money from pissed off clients...

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
  4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    How bout no... I dont want to do clean install of OS every 6 freaking months cause they cant do these update with fubaring something all but 1 upgrade ad 1 clean install of RS2 Didnt have the start menu fubared , my personal pc was upgraded and when upgrade was done Startmenu no longer got updated by any installed program, all pinned items to start were invalid and I could not pin anything, I then Did Clean installed, and first thing to i saw upon first boot was the above problems, I then did clean install again and this time no problems. of the 15+ upgrades/clean installs done on multplie computer only ONCE did the upgrade and ONCE did the clean install not screw the startmenu,

I still havent put RS2 on my dad computer, cause the update fubars things. Maybe this issue were due to bugs in ininital RS2 ISO's I dont know but i not will to try it on dads computer cause if fubars that there is no fix, other then downgrading or rolling dice on clean installs, and format that pc is not option

Even if they didnt screw things up I not in to this every 6 month reinstall/upgrade/clean install my OS, They need to find way to do all this with CU's, or I gona be skipping every other build update

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017

5. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    So this will be RS3 right?

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Haven't had a single issue after first Upgrade.
    Yup.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Like said even IF there wast issues with upgades I dont want to be "reinstall" which is and "upgrade" or Clean install every 6 months and I am not system admin for company that would have deploy this stuff on mass scale I am sure they dont want to be doing this every 6 month and hoping nothing goes wrong either Im sure LTSB dont get these every 6 months, even every years most them would cringe at the idea of have to do this a mass scale ever year, there is reason why some these place are still on XP/Vista

8. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    My only real issue with Windows 10 is that I have to get all of the "stuff" that I never use.

I have been playing around with building images with just about everything removed (MSMG ToolKit) and I can tell you that the stories of "you can't remove that, it breaks Windows" are vastly exaggerated.

It will be interesting to see if this new update actually makes any components less removable, I suspect not.

Silva likes this.
  9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    ^ This.

For instance this is mine in Idle state with lots of stuff removed.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Inquisitor

Inquisitor Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti SC Hybr
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm not sure I am seeing your point!

A normal clean install of W10 looks like that screenshot if you don't install anything else on top

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Why not just install LTSB 2016 which has all the crap pre-removed for you

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Nice! looking forward to it. I like how snappy it feels.

13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    No it doesn't, win 10 x64 fresh install has around 1000 threads at all times. Mine isn't fresh install by any means.

14. nosirrah

nosirrah Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980M
    Building your own image lets you customize a lot more and include specific drivers and updates.

Its a little work to maintain but makes installs completely painless and clean.

More or less I like the control of building it myself.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Had a play about with MSMG to do that with Pro, but without a massive PITA it wouldn't let me integrate nvidia drivers without causing the final image to be like 17GB+, last I checked a few weeks back it still had the same problem, something to do with DISM IIRC

From what I heard, updates could add back things you remove too, so in the end I decided LTSB was a way easier and more reliable / sustainable option, doesn't take long to install drivers after a clean install, or there is the reset option which keeps drivers

16. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    Ah, should have been more clear. I use MSMG to reduce image to base and then DISM GUI to make additions.

Extraordinary likes this.
  17. nosirrah

nosirrah Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980M
    On the topic of huge WIM files (and assuming only 2 indexes, home and pro) you can just do this and the files will be well optimized.

(obviously change the path and file names as needed)

Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:c:\esd\install.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:c:\esd\install-optimize.wim

Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:c:\esd\install.wim /SourceIndex:2 /DestinationImageFile:c:\esd\install-optimize.wim

Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:c:\esd\boot.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:c:\esd\boot-optimize.wim

Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:c:\esd\boot.wim /SourceIndex:2 /DestinationImageFile:c:\esd\boot-optimize.wim

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I don't know how many users here got the 17xx update via Windows update from April but I still haven't gotten it and it has been over 4+ months. I think MS should get their act together and send out the update from April to the users who have not received the update instead of talking about the new update for October.

19. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    I have tried to run the April? Creaters Update several times and the start menu became completely frozen, broken, and 'crashy' every time I installed it. Even on my Aunt's brand new HP WIN10cu Laptop she just bought, same thing, so it is not something I do that causes it. And no amount of sfcscannow, dism nonsense fixes it. That is just one of a @#$%load of nasty bugs I found in it. They have not even remotely gotten the first CU update out of early beta quality yet, so I sure hope the second one is a massive bug fixing release...but yeah, I doubt that.

I tried using MSMG too, but it made my installs huge, like 28 gigabytes as opposed to the usual 14. So LTSB is the only way I would even consider running Windows 10 at all. This is it after a pretty new install with drivers and commonly used software installed but no extra junk

[​IMG]

Even this (LTSB) has a lot of annoying bugs and bloat, like it just refuses to remember default programs and spams me with dialogs about what do you want to open this with (thinking of the picture you see below when I just made it and tried to open it) when I have set default programs and confirmed them repeatedly already. Half the programs I install get locked down so they can't remember their own settings (can't write to their own INI files) by incorrect permissions that I have to go manually fix every damned time. Windows 10 is a hot f#$%^&* mess.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Microsoft: We're not going to give you addition features after the major release of an OS, and will require you to buy a new OS when it comes time.

Customers: BOOO microsoft is evil!

------------------------------------------------

Microsoft: We're going to continue to update our OS more then we ever have before.

Customers: BOOO microsoft is evil!