Any advice for a gaming/movie monitor?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by plopingo, Aug 28, 2017.

1. plopingo

plopingo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 PNY XLR8
    Hi,

After some good service I'm looking for a new 24" (maybe more) 120/144hz min for gaming and movie (actually I have a Acer 24" GD245HQABID 120hz who is still very nice for gaming but I'm tired of the quality for movie)

I know TN have made progress for movie since the one I have. or maybe looking for IPS...I don't really know.

I tried to find something by myself directly on some online store but it's a f*cking jungle :/

I don't want to put more than 500€.

btw anyone know/have good recommendation for a good monitor review website? The only serious we had in France is dead :/

Thanks !

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    For movie watching the UltraWides give you that 21:6 ratio. Do you want 1440p or 1080p on that?

3. plopingo

plopingo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 PNY XLR8
    I would like to stay in 16:9 for now if possible. My major concern are from my current Acer TN when watching from bottom view angle resulting poor quality for dark scene on movies/series (turning even to blue sometime)

I saw this one ASUS MG278Q nice on paper but a little expensive and still afraid about TN.
    I'm okay to stay on 1080p but if I can have 1440p for ~500€ I'm not against.

I don't care about FreeSynch or G-synch I never used vertical synchro on any game and didn't suffer of any screen tearing so for me it's more a gadget than anything but I admit I never tested.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    All TNs have poor viewing angles.

Maybe MG279Q?
    It's IPS 144hz, freesync though.

540~ USD

5. plopingo

plopingo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 PNY XLR8
    629,00€ in france :( way too much but definitely a nice one :)

Btw 1080p on 27" is really bad like I can read all over the net?
    Because I see some nice 27" with this resolution more close to what I want to spend

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    27 1080P to me looks like garbage.

Very low pixel density means things aren't crisp.

7. plopingo

plopingo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 PNY XLR8
    Damn :/

what do you think about this one? SAMSUNG LC24FG73 (rev2 of the LC24FG70)
    seems nice VA 144 hz with low ms

8. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    I wanted to recommend an Ultrawide as well, as I can tell it's freekin' amazing for watching movies, then noticed the budget problems so... probably not a good idea.
    They are still quite expensive. And if you want high refresh rate as well, then it will cost a few kidneys...

If I were to pick, I would give up the high refresh rate or (any)sync, and get a standard 60Hz one with IPS or at least VA panel. TN needs to die and R&D invested into other stuff... better IPS with less glow, quantum dot, oled, WHATEVER, just no more TN's...

9. plopingo

plopingo Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 PNY XLR8
    tbh I did some test with my monitor 60hz & 120hz vsych off and it's a lot smooth on 120hz at same fps
    I can't go back to 60hz

I will give it a try to this C24FG73 VA panel + quantum dot 144hz
    Expensive for a 24" 1080p but I think I will have what I need

yeah TN really need to die but after I saw more IPS they are putting again TN on majority of monitor :/

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    In defense of TN, I would like to add that my Samsung 28" UE510 4k monitor (TN) has some amazing viewing angles. Samsung has a feature called "MagicAngle" that enables a change in the backlighting to adjust for different viewing angles. If you enable "Group Viewing" the viewing angle issue is just flat-out gone. I know, because I've tested it severely. ( I can rock my head left-right to cover about a 200 degree arc and suffer NO color degredation)

So with modern techniques a TN panel can be just as nice as some IPS panels.

11. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    As i am in the same boat with op,
    how does a 4k monitor like the Samsung above performs on it's not native resolution ?
    As i will have to play 90% of my games at 1920x1080, will i notice any differences(ex : blury image, less sharpness, low quality, distortion) between my current 1080p TV and a 4k monitor.

I want also know if you can use 3840x2160 on the desktop, and if yes what dpi scaling do you use in order to have a readable experience ?

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    One thing I've noticed about my UE510 is that it has it's own scaling capacity, and some modes get centered, like 1800p, and others are fullscreen, like 1440p. In fact, the 1440p fullscreen is extremely fine for using, and I am starting to think it has a distinct 1440p native mode. (A few times on boot, Windows has the monitor in 1440p mode for some reason. Restarting the driver restores 2160p.) So you don't need to use GPU scaling at all.

With a 2160p desktop, I prefer a Windows scaling of 125%. Default is 150%. Text is smaller, but still extremely sharp, so it's very readable. Also the smaller scaling allows for more desktop space. Mind you this is a 28" panel. If your panel is larger, then you can use lower scaling.

Apparatus likes this.
  13. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    So from what i understand you have gpu scaling set to off from AMD Radeon settings, and you leave the scaling done by the monitor.

You said nothing about how the monitor performs in 1080p though, and that's a bit concerning for me, cause my RX470 can't handle 1440p gaming as i want it to be(maxed out).

14. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    1080p is scaled fullscreen as well. The scaler is intelligent, and will use a doubler instead of scaling when possible. 1080p has some fuzzing to it, but is totally playable. Also, in regards to using higher DPI in gaming, the usual culprit for performance killing is the shaders. I can usually keep things on High/Ultra, and then just tone down the shaders to medium to maintain my 50-60 fps for FreeSync. (390 and 2160p)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Apparatus likes this.
  15. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    No it can't. I had put two panel side by side during testing when look for panel replacement for my company after my little boss ruined it, one is Samsung with magic angle for TN display, another is slightly expensive IPS panel from Samsung. True the Magic Angle can make the viewing angle look nicer in TN. It nearly eliminate the viewing angle issue. But when you look to it side by side, you will notice IPS is sharpen and clear with far better color output. The Magic Angle do nearly eliminate the viewing angle issue but it not solve the poor sharpness of TN and also not solved the TN less accuracy color, dull output, not extreme dull but still less life like color output when compare with IPS. It also added slight smudge look to it when you turn on the Magic Angle. Color not constant, color shift and etc. In short, it still not right when compare with IPS or VA+ panel.

I can't find much review of your UE510, the only I found is this and it got usual TN issue, color not constant. This guy only shift the monitor slightly but it is so obvious left side is more white where the right side is towards yellowish.

Below this is UE590, I believe is newer version of UE510. You can seen cleary the top right corner is more yellowish than the rest. It is so obvious. Slightly shift a bit, the whole screen appear yellow tint all over. All this TN symptom is still clearly there.

IMO, TN is still TN, how great they improve, even though TN can archive 1ms but for all TN weakness symptom, it still not a good panel to me and always cannot compare with better panel like VA+ (pure black, +/- 4ms), IPS (accuracy color and vibrant, +/- 4ms) or coming soon OLED (crazy 0.1ms). I am hoping one day OLED will be mainstream, it can do 0.1ms, it is pure black, it don't have glow issue, it don't have backlight bleeding issue. I think it only have burn in issue which need to solve it out now.

I know IPS got IPS glow issue but that is never an issue except you prefer spoil your eye and using it in a fully dark room. For the moment, the best panel still IPS, later VA+, TN always is the last. Future the best possible OLED.

Last time they is no expensive TN panel but now plenty, just because of gamer want that 1ms and higher hz. IPS or VA always later can archive, for example now IPS gaming monitor mostly is 144hz but TN already archive 240hz. As for respond time, IPS still not able to get 1ms (those using light strobe is cheating IMO). Because of this respond time, TN panel became expensive panel but in actual it is still not a great panel and much less production cost.

I got few gamer friends always love playing game in dark room, and after ask and check I just know because TN is kind of dull in bright room, it only look better in dark room and all of them didn't use and know IPS is very great and that 1ms is not that important, 4ms can do what 1ms can and it is not that bad actually.

I can only said manufacturer already success target gamer by given them a so so quality panel but expensive price by simply just only 1 reason - respond time is 1ms. I don't count the 240hz as target for gamer as how many games can do 240fps? 144hz is far than enough to eliminate the tearing and bluring it own even without those freesync or g-sync thing with Vysnc off.

BenQ Zowie gaming series is one of it which freaking expensive, bored old style design, consider bulky as of now, a hmmmm TN panel, but because it is 1ms and even up to 240hz, it do success target the gamer, but if you ask me is it a nice looking monitor, IMO it is just an overpriced TN panel monitor.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017