Nvidia Inspector introduction and Guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Nov 5, 2015.

1. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Either a refresh rate that matches the frame rate, or is an integer N multiple of it and with a 1/N vsync setting in profile inspector.

For example, 40FPS works best with 40Hz full vsync, 80Hz 1/2 vsync, 120Hz 1/3 vsync, etc.

This has nothing to do with CPU load, btw. For that, you can just use the nvidia v2 limiter. This is about the animation at the specific frame rate you're targeting not having stutter or judder.

2. Serfrost

Serfrost Guest

GPU:
    G.SKILL 16GB 1600
    Say someone is using a strange refresh monitor; 75hz or 144hz?

Sorry, I just didn't know if v1 would put pressure on the CPU or not, or if any specific setting could force it into v1 rather than v2.

And would Fast Sync be applicable here anywhere?

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You use CRU and add the specific refresh rates you want. I was doing that prior to getting a g-sync monitor. I added modes for 48 (for 24FPS movies), 50 (for 25FPS PAL TV), 75, 80, 90 and 100 Hz.

Also, all 144Hz monitors have a 120Hz mode by default (which is the recommended mode to use for the desktop.)

v1 doesn't seem to behave any different to v2 when it comes to CPU usage.

In general, both v1 and v2 seem unstable though. Some people seem to have more luck with them. For me, the FPS I set them to is not followed. RTSS on the other hand is spot-on. If I was setting 59.991FPS, the game would run at exactly that. The nvidia limiter was rounding up or down at random.

RTSS raises CPU usage though (it loops on the CPU while the game is blocked from rendering more frames; it's one of the reasons RTSS is so accurate.)

Nope.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  4. Serfrost

Serfrost Guest

GPU:
    G.SKILL 16GB 1600
    Thank you so much for the feedback. I can finally ease down about what options would be best for the folks back on the emu discussion. You've helped a ton. :)

5. Serfrost

Serfrost Guest

GPU:
    G.SKILL 16GB 1600
    One last question, do you know of a way to keep Nvidia GLCache from being reset or overwritten by other applications? Basically I would like it to be read-only after the shaders have been compiled, and I would like them to stay there after reboot, etc.

I read that it's based on if the hash still matches or not. Not sure if this has been worked around or not.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It does stay after a reboot, AFAIK. Also, the cached shaders are not overwritten by other games. Are you sure there's an issue there?

The hash thing is needed. If the hash changes, that means the shader has changed. That's the whole point of a hash; it makes sure that if the shader changed, the new version of it is cached. Otherwise, you'd be getting wrong shaders.

The cache should only be invalidated after a driver change. Or if it gets too big (older shaders get deleted.)

7. j0shimi

j0shimi Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    What makes you say this, is there any evidence of this, reports I've seen actually say the opposite and actually more Hz is blatently better for a smoother experience? Curious as to why you would limit this on a 144Hz monitor?

8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Because 144Hz cannot play 30FPS and 60FPS video 1:1. You get judder. And these are by far the most common video frame rates on the internet.

So my recommendation has always been 120Hz for the desktop, 144Hz for games.

9. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Also with older drivers 144Hz used to prevent your GPU from downclocking while idle, but 120Hz was fine, unless you used Inspector's MDPS.

10. j0shimi

j0shimi Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Interesting, so if I set my Windows Display Settings to 120Hz but use nVidia Preferred Refresh Rate - Highest Available that should work?

11. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Yes, that works. I've been using that way.
    120Hz for desktop and 144Hz for gaming.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I just update to the the 2.1.3.10 build of inspector profiler and it fixed the wierd framerate limiting number 60 fps is actual 60fps before all it had wierd numbers like 61.5 and such

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Is there a way to force V-Sync in Unreal Engine 4 Games?

They seem to ignore NVCP.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  14. tyrone

tyrone Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 8GB
    Sorry if this forum isn't used anymore but I figured this the best place to ask my question relating to this.

When I use the nvidia inspector search bar for a certain game profile and hit apply, I have no idea if its taken effect in the game...I go back to inspector and it keeps resetting to global. Am I missing something, do I save a certain profile to a file folder or something. Any help would be great.

15. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    Its normal, it always opens up to the the global profile, just search for the game profile you modified again and you should see that the settings are still saved.

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Profiles that you have modified (either in profile inspector or in the nvidia panel) can be bound in the list that open when you click the "house" icon (to the right of the profile search field.)

17. Vtecquila

Vtecquila Guest

GPU:
    nVIDIA GTX 1060
  18. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    I had a question. I wanted to use this to downclock my GPU with 3 monitors, but it does not include Nvidiainspector.exe anymore? This is just what is NvidiaProfileInspector. Was that discontinued? Just curious, as I see the projects were "split". I grabbed an older version of the program and it came with inspector so I could force states. I was just curious if there was one that worked better as sometimes my state doesn't stay P0 during a game and causes a flickering.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  19. dalasivk

dalasivk Guest

GPU:
    gtx680
    Hi everyone.

Does anybody know where are profiles located?
    I mean those profiles that nvidia inspector/profile can edit.

I had not succesful try to tune up my gtx680 via inspector.
    I put about 80% fan to default in Inspector and some options in profile section (dont remember those one).
    i had to switch off all thing i could find in autostart etc, but still 680 is starting with 80% fan (so you hear that noise every time) and some optoins from profile.
    problem is that 680 isnt working with these changes (i got 43 error in win which indicates that videocard is off).

I had to clean up nvidia drivers, system register, use DDU, etc, etc, but still got no result.

20. blackdragonbird

blackdragonbird Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080Ti
    Hi guys,

Can anyone point me what the option OpenGL Override do exactly. The functions in this tool are very obscure, basically the majority of them you can't find anything in the web.