Best 120MM fan?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Danny_G13, Aug 22, 2017.

1. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Assuming you are have same board like in yours profile if yes then use Asus Q-Fan for fan control

You can control like DC or PWM fans which should be great there

Create custom curves for any fan etc

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

For 10 fans I would have look on Aquacomputer SPLITTY9 or Phobya fan splitter, these cost around £9-£12 each

I have 4* SPLITTY9 for my fans and I recently build for my friend custom water loop and we are used EVGA DG-87 as case where we are used 14 fans (6*120mm on top radiator Noiseblocker BlackSilent Fan XLP PWM, 6*120mm Phanteks PH-F120SP which are 3pin on front radiator and two extra 140mm fans) and all fans are controlled through the Asus Q-Fan and we have used 3* SPLITTY9

In my case I use Aquaero and Aquasuite for fan control and recommend to use Aquaero if budget allows because of fan control

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    How many fan headers do you on the motherboard, I would suggest get few PWM splitters these cost £2-£6 each there and will make life easier

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

4. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Yeah but that's only accessible via BIOS. Fan Xpert is the Windows version of Asus software.

5. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I have five, including the CPUs own. Also one of my fans is deployed via the jumper on my Hybrid 1080Ti AIO cooler so doesn't use any board headers. So in terms of capacity I'm fine.

6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Looks like you should be OK there with amount of headers,with some boards what I owned there has not been always enough fan headers plus amperage limit per header if you are using something like are Delta fans

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Hi there

AI Suite I think is the SW what I mean in Windows or Fan Xpert as you are said you can use there and adjust fans there,this is best way,I don't use Speedfan on newer boards there

Hope this helps

Thank,Jura

7. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Yeah I think for fan capacity I'm in the clear.

Yeah I know AI Suite very well. Problem is it's very entrenched and its installers are poor. The software itself is actually not bad, if not overly refined, but its uninstall procedure is a combination of broken and inefficient. So I'm reluctant to use it - I will see how I get on with the fans and performance left at default speeds for now - the sound levels are acceptable at the moment and the temps are CPU idle 33C and under load 71C. Not perfect on the latter but within acceptable boundaries. GPU is 30/55 or so.

My only real quirk is with that mesh - in order to allow the top rad fans a proper exhaust through the case roof, the magnetic ceiling mesh has to be removed as its sieve is too dense for air to flow fast through it. The roof is much better without it on.

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

Yes I agree AI Suite installers are not best plus uninstalling is pain in arse to do and can mess the Windows in bad way,this has happened to my friend

I would create fan curve in BIOS if not then try Speedfan and create there fan curves, agree yours temperatures are OK and if you are happy then this counts more than anything

Yes this is normal with meshes and with fan filters, you need to optimise around that and if you are running dense radiators like are on AIO then you will be running to troubles with running fans faster or running without the filter or mesh

Similar has happened to me, when I was running H100i V2 and with top filter fitted my temps has been around 5-7°C higher than with not removed top filter, I done few things to improve that but at the end ditched H100i and went back to air with NH-D15 and on GPU went with Raijintek Morpheus II

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

9. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Isn't the day of air cooling finished? I cannot see a single reason to go HSF now.

10. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Not really, been very happy with NH-D15 and Raijintek Morpheus II cooler

Have look with H100i V2 I couldn't push my 5820k above 4.4GHz because temperatures has been high for my liking and with NH-D15 I have run 4.5Ghz easy and with 4.6Ghz my temps has been same as with H100i at 4.4GHz

And Raijintek Morpheus II this has cooled my Titan X SC with 1469MHz OC and temperatures has been in 42-45°C region in gaming or during the rendering or folding in Folding@home

This setup has been lot quieter than with H100i or EVGA Hybrid on GPU

And here is review of the Noctua NH-U14S on ThreadRipper 1950x where this cooler is lot better than AIO from Asetek(Asetek pump and radiator combo using Corsair, Thermaltake, NZXT etc)

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3029-quick-ab-test-impact-tr4-coldplate-size-with-noctua

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

11. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    A further question for you:

I need another 120MM fan - but the BeQuiet only had the 4 hole plug. I need one with the three hole type to connect to my 1080Ti hybrid. Any suggestions?

12. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Never mind, found one anyway. Cheers.

13. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Scratch that, I got another BeQuiet one but the performance was poor - temps were significantly higher than with the 120MM fan included in the EVGA kit.

The BeQuiet I got was B046 - reasonably quiet but the airflow was way less than I needed especially at higher clock temps.

I'm needing high airflow at low RPM on a 3 pin 120MM fan - ergo very quiet. As I say the one included with the Hybrid EVGA is good for performance and airlow, but I damaged it and it now rattles intermittently.

Any advice?

14. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

EVGA using Power logic PLA12025S12M fans which I think are very similar to Delta fans,not sure what max RPM of these fans is it and not sure what is CFM rating on radiators etc,hard to say

Here is quick search over on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...m.TRS0&_nkw=power+logic+pla12025s12m&_sacat=0

Assume you are bought Pure Wings 2 which are non PWM fans and they don't push enough air through the radiators,I used them and they're on poor side agree on alu radiators like is Hybrid or Corsair,Asetek CLC etc but very good on normal brass or copper based radiators

How much higher temperatures did you have with these BeQuiet fans ?

If you are looking at high airflow at low RPM then have look on EK Vardar F3 1850RPM or 2200RPM or Corsair ML120 fans but these fans are PWM 4 pin and you will need to get reduction or extension from 4 pin to 3 pin but if fan on EVGA Hybrid is controlled through the their SW or MSI AB then not sure if these replacement fans would work as intended because PWM or voltage curve will be out of the place as I controlled my fans on EVGA Hybrid through the fan controller there

You can try control 4 pin fan through the fan header on yours motherboard which I would do and done it in past and raise RPM only when needed during the gaming

Not sure if I have still this EVGA 120mm fan which I have on my EVGA Hybrid which has failed on me on Titan X but will check and let you know there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

15. Chess

Chess Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1080Ti Stri
    So er, why no Noctua fan recommendations?

16. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    That's a very kamikaze way around it - ideally you should let the GTX control the fan curve or define it yourself via that - not sure I'd want my GTX fans connected elsewhere.

I actually made a small adjustment. Previously I'd had the fan connected to the exhaust and the rad underneath, to suck warm air out - I decided to try the fan as a blower underneath and attach the rad to the exhaust. My temps have definitely improved. I'm getting about 33 idle (max power) and 59C max load. Overclocked to +150 +500, I should add. Previously it was 35C and 65C. Only two games make the card go hotter - Witcher 3 and Andromeda. But they always did.

For now I'm happy with the setup and as we head into autumn and winter the temps will only improve further but I'll still monitor it.

17. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I have one Noctua, can't say it, pun not intended, blew me away.

18. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    Switched to optimal power and now idle temps down to around 26-28C. Obviously will put on maximum power within game profiles but a sub-30C temp in windows at minimal noise levels is excellent. Happy with that. Until I find the next thing to complain about.

Made a booboo though, accidentally suspended crss when trying to get GPU to downclock - everything locked up hard. Oops.

19. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Sorry for late reply
    Depends on yours case layout and sometimes is worth to swap fans around like you did or swap around radiator there,these temperatures are not bad but as you said,yours temperatures definitely improved,agree on Andromeda there,I finished that game few days back and only this game has been most punishing game in terms of temperatures on GPU,in other games my temperatures are in 36-38C but in this game 40-42C is pretty normal there,38C I see when is outside is colder
    Yup during the winter or autumn temperatures only improve and will drop further

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

I wouldn't too much pay attention on idle temperatures,personally I pay attention load temperatures but is good to have both there,you still can improve by replacing TIM for something better like is Kryonaut or Noctua NT-H1 which both I use on GPUs or CPU,these are probably best TIM on market right now

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

Hi there

Regarding the Noctua,there are several similar fans which perform similarly and cost lot less and due this I don't often recommend Noctua fans,if Noctua fans will be cheaper then I would recommend them plus their camo colour is not for everyone liking,if we would be talking about the air coolers then I would very highly recommend Noctua air coolers,these coolers are best but still there around 5 or more air coolers which cost less and perform around 1-3C similarly or better

But what counts for Noctua is after sale support and RMA plus warranty which is very hard to beat there

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

20. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    To get 42C you must have pretty high level liquid cooling there.

It matters to me.

Correct. I want it cool at load and idle.

The TIM you get with most high quality AIO kits is as good as any you can buy separately. You of all people should know that. When it 'runs out', sure, get yourself some shin etsu or Noctua etc - but there is absolutely no reason to replace the stuff that is already there.