Windows 10 Build 16273 broke AB and RTSS ?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by phatbx133, Aug 23, 2017.

1. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB
    Both AB 4.4.0 beta 16 and 7.0.0 Beta 28 was working fine before Build 16257 till today I updated to 16273 now AB is not working.

[​IMG]

Anyone confirmed ?

Thanks.

sean8102 likes this.
  2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Reinstalled GPU driver and Afterburner/RTSS ?

3. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB
    Yes I did that both.

Run in admin, compatibility mode windows 7, 8... nothing works.

Did you update to build 16273 yet ?

Thanks.

4. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    also updated today but no issues here with ab 4.3 or rtss

5. eGGroLLiO

eGGroLLiO Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3
    Breaks Aida 64 as well. I'm off these builds for awhile.

6. JacobKlein

JacobKlein Member

Just wanted to chime in with my info. For me, it's also broken in Build 16273, but I think it only happened *after* I used DDU to remove the drivers to do a clean install. Might be related, not sure. Full details below.

I'm having a problem I've not seen before: MSI Afterburner doesn't detect my GPUs (on Windows 10 Insider Build 16273).

Details: I have 2 GTX 980 Ti GPUs, not in SLI. Today, I updated my Windows Insider build (like I usually do), picking up Windows 10 Insider Build 16273 (I'm on Skip Ahead, so I got 16273.1000). While troubleshooting another issue (where it seems my game is not properly using GSync in this build, and instead allows FPS to go up to ~400 instead of locked to refresh rate of 144, like maybe it's using Fast Sync) .... I used Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to uninstall/reinstall the drivers (385.28). Since then, MSI Afterburner has not been able to see my GPUs - It says "There are no devices available.". I've tried v4.4.0 Beta 16, v4.3.0, and v4.2.0... but none of them can find my GPUs. My other programs like GPU-Z, NVIDIA Inspector, EVGA PrecisionX, HWiNFO64, ... CAN see the GPUs.

I filed Windows 10 feedback here:
    https://aka.ms/Ci31vw

Can anyone on 16273, try using DDU to uninstall/reinstall drivers, and see if you can reproduce the same problem? If so, reply back, and also upvote that feedback.
    And does anyone have a workaround?
    And any suggestions on what we could do to troubleshoot this, like with logs?

Thanks,
    Jacob Klein

7. jesteves

jesteves Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X @ 2100

I have the same problem... Windows 16275, MSI AB don’t detect card and drivers (385.41). Tried to do a clean install but nothing works

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Beta builds of Windows (Early access) are not supported you guys. Only official public releases.

9. km52

km52 Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I can confirm this. Insider build 16257 was fine, 16273 broke both MSI AB and AIDA64. GPU-Z, NV Inspector and GPU Caps Viewer are still working fine with 16273 and 16275.

10. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I've just installed Windows 10 Insider Preview build 16275 and reproduced the issue. Win32 API CreateService function seem to be broken in builds 16273 and 16275 for 32-bit processes, which try to install 64-bit kernel drivers. So all 32-bit applications working with hardware directly won't work, you'll need to wait for fix from Microsoft side.
    Happily, at least in MSI Afterburner you may temporarily untick "Enable low-level IO driver" option in compatibility properties, this way it won't need a driver and will rely entirely on generic AMD/NVIDIA display driver functionality. But some low-level hardware access dependent features (e.g. all CPU related monitoring, voltage control on AMD cards and some other things) will be lost.

Those who are registered in Windows Insider Preview Feedback Hub, please submit it there, it will (hopefully) get the issue fixed faster.

11. eGGroLLiO

eGGroLLiO Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3
    Thanks for the confirmation Unwinder.

12. sean8102

sean8102 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Glad to see I'm not the only one. Was working perfectly fine with last insider build but stopped with 16275.1000. Also broke Corsair Link application. Tried using display driver cleaner, installing latest driver from nvidia, re installing the latest beta of Afterburner and statistics server. Was worried I was having some kind of hardware problems. Fingers crossed this gets fixed before the fall creators update goes "RTM".

Edit: I see someone already made a post in the feedback hup. Upvoted, and will share with the Windows 10 Sub reddit.

[​IMG]

And this is all I can see in Corsair Link. Thankfully temp control based on liquid inside pump still works so functionality is not affected for me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  13. JacobKlein

JacobKlein Member

Thank you Unwinder, for helping us identify the fault here! And for taking a dip in the Insider pool!

14. Unwinder

Guys, I've received info that only ANSI implementation of CreateService (CreateServiceA) is broken in current Insider Preview builds, but Unicode implementation (CreateServiceW) can be still working. If it is true, it should be possible to provide easy workaround while Microsoft fix the root of problem. Sadly I've already rolled my OS back to official Creators Update version, so I cannot test myself if it really works. I've created test build of beta 16, which is using Unicode API for service control, please give it a try and see if it solves the issue:

http://office.guru3d.com/afterburner/MSIAfterburnerSetup440Beta16Build10482.rar

15. Dude1070

Dude1070 Member

GPU:
    RX 6950 XT
    Unwinder, works for me, thank you

[​IMG]

sean8102 and Unwinder like this.

16. Unwinder

Excellent, thanks for testing!

17. JacobKlein

JacobKlein Member

It works for me, thanks. But I have a question -- is moving toward the Unicode API something that you deem "correct" for MSI Afterburner to do permanently, or are you just providing a workaround for Microsoft's bug? Just making sure you're doing it for the right reasons. :)

Thanks again,
    Jacob Klein

18. sean8102

sean8102 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Thank you so much. That version worked perfectly for me on on the latest Win 10 insider build with low level IO driver and performance overlay.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  19. km52

km52 Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Thanks for the test build, works fine for me on v16275 with the low-level IO driver option enabled.

20. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB
    Unwinder, Thank you for fix it temporary that my AB is now working. Big thumb up !