AMD Radeon Vega 17.8.1 Beta 6 driver download

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Completely agreed.

For fun, Im gonna try it.

See how much speed I get while I am stuck on wireless after moving.

2. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    My point was that we didn't get a full driver, but I guess you can't read between the lines.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    There's still time for them to get a non-beta 17.8.2 driver out, not exactly sure if there's any major issues with 17.8.1b6 though aside from the known issues listed for Vega but if it's primarily for this GPU and if it was rushed for reviews then it might have some quirks.

Guessing focus might be on said Vega GPU a bit for the next couple of drivers but hopefully it doesn't impact things too much for previous generation GPU's though we'll just have to see I suppose.

A better distinction between actual beta drivers, non-WHQL drivers and WHQL drivers wouldn't hurt either for the average user, or perhaps it wouldn't matter at all. (Newer = download.)

EDIT: But perhaps the upcoming sign-up test environment AMD is setting up could help with this, whenever it actually kicks off that is.
    (Though yeah those drivers are getting leaked.)

4. Rambo

Rambo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    Because Raja Koduri doesn't love older GPUs owners.

5. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    I actually dont believe that.

Example: 7950 January 2012 still supported right? (DX12 also)

6. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Installed fine on my r9 280, so far so good will report back if I find any problems

7. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    Anyone tried overwatch with those? A lot of people (myself included) sufferd from crashes with 17.7.2.

8. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    With these it crashes. Don't use it for OW.

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    +1 :)

All GCNs are supported Good.
    But ATI driver Team has too much on their Heads now.

We need to be patience.

BTW, VEGA is still 50% Fiji Mode :nerd:

10. Rambo

Rambo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    Ohh, c'mon. It's only a red herring :banana: Of course he doesn't love us becuase he didn't release newer drivers yet.

Some people are getting mad 'cause Raja was bold to release drivers only for Vegas. Kill him with fire or so. THEY CAN'T WAIT! :< pure madness

11. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    It's normal that they want to put emphasis on the new products first.
    Especially when even this Beta driver still don't include the the Primitive Shaders for Vega that causes regression in performance for Vega.
    Meaning that AMD is very very very delayed with Vega drivers and possibly they are putting the driver team in full effort to work with the Vega GPUs first.

Until this get fixed and implemented as well as with other major fixes that Vega might need, it is expected that the the improvements might be small or almost non-existent for the other GPU series for now.

Cheers

12. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    If Vega is markedly more different than the previous GCN generations, I wouldn't be surprised if AMD stops releasing performance drivers for them. I almost expect that to happen because AMD tells the whole driver team to do whatever is needed to make Vega look better.

But regarding the primitive shaders, has AMD said yet if it needs specific code to be useful?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Just be patient. It's not like we didn't have problems when Pascal launched.

14. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    The key word.

15. Newbie2012

Newbie2012 Active Member

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 8GB-CustomLoop
    Be patient, don't be a patient

16. fargod

fargod Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    uvd bug GCN 1.0?

17. ObscureangelPT

ObscureangelPT Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1650 Supe
    Actually no, AMD told the AMD driver can do the primitive shaders.
    Altough developers can implement first if they want, making it not necessary to implement it via driver.

I doubt AMD would stop releasing drivers for any GCN version at all.
    When Async stopped working on GCN 1.0, people were already expecting something like that. But in the end we got Async back to GCN 1.0, so I doubt that it is necessary to abandon the old gens yet.

Obviously the old version (GCN 1.0) will get it's disadvantages, like lack of better Geometry processing(Tesslation), lack of Tiling, Culling, Delta Colour compression and a lot of DX12 features.
    But I doubt AMD would stop to support it.

I believe they will cut the cord, but only after some years of a complete brand new arquitechture.

18. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I don't think anyone expected AMD to suddenly stop supporting older GCN altogether. What wouldn't surprise me though, is if they just get bug fixes from now on, if they differ too much to share optimization work with Vega.

19. Newbie2012

Newbie2012 Active Member

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 8GB-CustomLoop
    prey performance is broken with these drivers using vega

And witcher 3, getting about 50fps lol, half what it should be.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

All the GCN's build upon the earlier GCN's, so it's likely that there will still be some benefits for the early GCN's just no where near the same extent. It all depends on the qualifier for the statement, GCN 4.0 which is still current in the RX 400/500 series will probably continue to see full development until Navi. This also applies to Vega, it will still see benefit from improvement that come with the Navi line, just not to the same extent.