Review: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The 4096 Shader processor enabled Radeon RX Vega 64 with 8GB graphics memory is being reviewed in this article. The new AMD graphics card has arrived, is released and we'll take you through the archi...

Review: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB

2. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    OMG not yet available 3 minutes I CANT WAIT

3. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Exactly what most of us expected.

:/

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok let's see this mofo :nerd:

Edit: at least its not so hot.. but overall, well meh.. its ok for its money though, wonder what custom version will oc.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017

5. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    eww. Ryzen though :)

6. omni_gamer

omni_gamer Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti Strix
    wow!

I really wanted this card to be something that it's clearly not. Anyway you slice it, it's a failure. 12 months late to the party with sub-par performance. The only reason I would go this route would be A) I'm a miner or B) I don't want to shell out the extra $300 for a gsync monitor. I think all the R&D $$ went to the CPU department this year.

7. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    nVidia won big time, at best 56 and 64 outpace 1070 and match 1080, too late with zero added value.

NVIDIA was clearly so far ahead, that even one year later the GTX 1080 reigns supreme, not talking about 1080TI, nvidia will lower prices of 1070, oced 1070 will offer even better value outside of mining.

But at least AMD tried, that still could mean something.

8. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    This is quite disappointing to say the least. I was expecting it to at least be in between 1080 and the ti version (well closer to or on par with ti) but it is basically on par with 1080. Looking at the fact that they are 1 year late, i do hope it is as good for crypto-currency mining as the rumour said. We (consumers) need competition to stop the prices going thru the roof as nvidia at the moment can put their high end gpus for whatever price they want as there is no competitors. I love Ryzen cpus and i think they deserve a praise, something i can't say about vega. Sad...

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No they wouldn't because the market is already saturated by Nvidia. They'd sell more but it probably wouldn't offset the margin loss on cards that already have way lower margins then what Nvidia is selling.

10. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thought, hey this is better than expected... trades blows with the 1080... wonder what the cost is... oh its £100 more? what! why would anyone spend that much more for the same performance... and a hotter and more power hungry card (almost as much as 1080sli), is HBM2 that expensive for them ?

These cards should be cheaper, Liquid cooled one is going for around 650-700 pounds here, the same price as a 1080ti... Very confusing why they would price them so high... only reason i can see them doing this is because of the cyptocurrency??

Also somehow 499USD = £599 :D UK always getting screwed with pricing

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    It's striking that AMD fails at power efficiency over and over...will they ever learn?

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm shocked how much of a power difference there is with the 64 vs the 56. Seems to me the 56 is the real winner and the recommendable option; the 64, not so much.

I'm also a bit surprised how well the Fury X has aged.

You and a lot of people had woefully unrealistic expectations for this card. I would argue this performed better than expected. However, better than expected still isn't quite good enough - the power consumption, noise level, delayed release, and price combined make this a tough choice. The Vega 56 is overall a better choice than a GTX 1070.

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Nice cards with nice prices and very nice performance but unfortunately they are to late for the party... Nvidia won this round by default...
    Also the power consumption is scary to say the least...

I don´t think that AMD can afford to sell the cards so cheap like you suggest... But if the prices were like that, i would gladly sell my 1070 and buy a custom Vega64!

14. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Another launch where AMD could've done nicely if they got it out much sooner :(.

I'm quite impressed by the thermals considering the power usage.

15. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    Great review HH but not so great for AMD. Well, crap in fact.

My 980ti will last 6 more months then. 200 bucks well spent.

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I think we need power bill charts comparison to be included into benches these days - buy a cheaper but more hungry card, or get a more expensive card buy get smaller bills down the road! :D

Other then that, finally AMD released it.

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Sometimes giving the best you got isn't good enough. Expectations were too high as usual with AMD products.
    I think they need to bring in some fresh energy at their GPU department.

18. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Vega 64 performance is at 1080 level or better for DX12 games but in DX11 performance it's behind and in some games the gap is huge (GTA V).

New AMD GPUs, same DX11 drivers performance problem...again.

That's comparing AMD Vega 64 VS Nvidia 1080 official base models.

When we consider the gazillion factory OCed 1080 models available right now and the ample OC margin 1080 has (more hz range, lower power) i think the AMD 1 year late to the party GPU is a fail.

No Ti this time, the competition was between Vega 64 vs 1080.

19. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Reg Air cooled $600 and water cooled $700 F*** this they jack up the price by $100 buck have look on newegg

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Too difficult considering differences in power prices and currency. But even if you take a worst-case scenario of something like $0.20/KWh, usually it takes several years of frequent extensive (but not 24/7) use until the cheaper and more power-hungry GPU becomes a poor value. For Vega 64, I'm not too sure how true that is, but for the 56 I'm sure you'd replace it by the time it becomes too expensive.

Also if you use electric heat in the winter, you could consider that a variable toward improving a GPU's value.