Review: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 10, 2017.

1. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    you are nuts. There are better CPUs for games even from AMD...TR is not meant for gaming...:bang::bang::bang:

2. R0H1T

R0H1T Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 750Ti
    IPC isn't Instructions per core it's Instructions per cycle, Intel can never say that, they'd be a laughing stock if they did, just like the glue thing.

Also you have it backwards IPC is independent of clock speeds, performance is IPC x clock speeds, this is why most CPU reviews also do certain tests at fixed speeds, to measure IPC.

Indeed there's a good reason why temps & clock speeds are a major concern for dodeca cores & above, it'd be a mini reactor once OCed.

3. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    i7 7740X still looks more attractive in benches than paying for all those threads for little use in real world scenerios.

To each their own. I know I'll never pay out for these 1k+ chips from either camp.

But it is cool to see what they come up with.

I agree. These 1K chips are a bit much price wise for how long they will last someone.

New tech around the corner....could phase this out while it may be fast enough. I game 4K on a i7 5775c @ 4ghz with no issues at 60hz.

You are no moron or hater. I probably will stick to 4 cores for a long time yet.

i7 8770k looks to be perfect for what it is. 6 cores with all those threads would be enough and better price. If I were looking for an upgrade now, I would honestly go for the i7 7740X.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  4. RmVA

RmVA Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080
    Thank you for a great comparison. :stewpid:

The PCIe lanes is the main reason why I'm interested in the threadripper, running a single 980ti (or a 1080ti then), a PCIe SSD and a PCI soundcard :banana:

5. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    It's a beast to be sure. Very nice!

...on a side note:

After a full decade, AMD FINALLY gets ahead and there's a chorus line of "RIP Intel?" It's like you people just started PC gaming yesterday or something. Where have you been over the years?

AMD will have to dominate for many years before that happens.

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I wouldn't necessarily say there are better CPUs for gaming, from AMD, then a threadripper. Well, specifically that 1950x.

Now, there are much better priced processors that will 99% of the time give you the same performance from AMD, then threadripper. But, that being said, the 1950x should perform just as well, and possibly better (depending on how highly threaded a game is and depending on how well the game uses those threads) then the R7 series, but should never perform LESS, which is what would be required for there to be "Better CPUs for games even from AMD".

Why? Because the 1950x clocks basically just the same as the R7 1800x. yes, it has a slightly smaller base, but i'm not sure how much that matters...and the boost is the same..and the OC is the same....and the XFR is higher on the 1950x vs the 1800x....so....

But currently, there's no use to pay the premium for the 1950x vs the 1800x for gaming.

That being said, and this is important:

Why exactly do you call him nuts, and then go on some nonsense about gaming, when the guy never even said what he'd use it for? If it was for gaming, or for more? You just decided for no reason at all to assume he wanted it for gaming, and to insult him for it, when it was never said? Where's your logic?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Probably not until they release 64-core processors (which could come with zen 2 or zen+) for the server market. I doubt AMD wants to cannibalize their EPYC chips completely.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Reviews really nice AMD has something here. Now people have to start buy them so AMD has cash for R&D to continue.

Hopefull by time I do another build I can get 8c/16t or 10c/20t for under 299$ that have STP for 2500 or more according to cpubenchmark with even better MTP then these have.

Intel or AMD , hopefull by this time the reliance on STP is no longer a thing too

9. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    The 1950X actually has an extra advantage with it's XFR over Ryzen 1800x. Apart from a potential extra 100MHz over Ryzen it also clocks 4 cores up to 4.2GHz :)
    (EDIT: Ryzen only boosts 2 cores)

That is why the stock 1950X is often faster in games than one OC'd on all cores to 4GHz (which disables XFR unfortunately)

10. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I call him nuts because ryzen 5 X will do the same job, and even better one for much less. :3eyes:

looking at his sig, he is a gamer, or just browsing....

edit: it wasn't an insult, wtf dude...

No, it's not. Sorry, it just isn't. Look past the Hillbert's reviews.

11. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
  12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX

I know but I wanted to compare those two legacy benches
    not even sure if that many threads are even supported but i think so.

13. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Very nice stuff from AMD's CPU department this year. Looking at this review I can't help but drool a little as I chain my wallet down to the floor. lol

14. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I enjoyed reading HH's review and did note his results.
    Still today a great many games cannot make good use of more than 4 threads and prefer more speed from the "up to" 4 core they do use. Therefore a stock 1950x is actually 200MHz faster than an overclocked one (most do not like to do more than 4GHz on all cores in reviews I saw) and will obviously perform better in such games.

It is 4am here, sometime tomorrow I will link to some of the (think it was shown in some video) reviews I saw.

EDIT: some results from:

Gamers Nexus

Total Warhammer 1080p High

1950x Stock NUMA 146.25 avg
    1950x Stock NUMA 109 1% low

1950x Stock 127 avg
    1950x Stock 81.75 1% low

1950x 4GHz OC 114.75 avg
    1950x 4GHz OC 78.75 1% low

GTA V 1080p Ultra

1950x Stock 115.5 avg
    1950x Stock 62.3 1% low

1950x 4GHz OC 99.8 avg
    1950x 4GHz OC 52.3 1% low

BF1 1080p Ultra

1950x Stock 133.5 avg
    1950x Stock 91 1% low

1950x 4GHz OC 115 avg
    1950x 4GHz OC 73.3 1% low

Metro LL 1080p VHH

1950x Stock 120 avg
    1950x Stock 71.3 1% low

1950x 4GHz OC 108.5 avg
    1950x 4GHz OC 68 1% low

Surprisingly AotS: Escalation also performed marginally faster at stock speeds too, I was not expecting that one to like a few faster cores than lots of fast ones.

15. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    This is awesome to finally see amd bringing back the top dogs in the cpu market with awesome price/performance. I can see amd making a killing off these chips in the next gen playstation/xbox but then again so could the 1700/1800 would also work great in these too. Very interesting to see what these chips will do for games and pushing devs to use more cores/threads. These will finally shake up the the whole industry as a whole. Hopefully now amd can concentrate on the gpu side of things and get them back up to snuff.

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yeah, I saw some of Gamers Nexus videos as well, showing how XFR makes a difference on stock. Very interesting. I guess overclocking these chips is only really beneficial to those apps which maximizes all the cores. I think they (or some other channel, not sure) also showed that the 1920X maintains more constant clock speeds compared to the 1950X, which allows it to win out on some benchmarks.

17. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    and how did the ryzen 5 @ 4ghz do at those gaming tests?

As for "many not do it today" yea, I remember all the fuss how amd GPU will rule because dx12 this that, and...sadly goto 10
    at 10 - print: developers and most played games are running dx 9 and 11.

edit: did intel miss performance at those tests with modern i7s ? I dont think so...Yet, I will still point gamers toward ryzen 5/7 for new build atm.

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Calling someone nuts is an insult, i'm sorry that you don't understand that, but it is fact.

However, what does someones sig have anything to do with what they plan to use a PC for?

I game, that does not even remotely mean i ONLY game on my PC.....

Again, where is your logic? As i am clearly not seeing it, you're just coming here insulting people and telling them what they will use something for while being given no info on what that someone might actually use it for....

Newsflash: You don't get to tell someone what they are using their PC for.

19. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Ryzen REALLY needs dynamic overclocking. I know it can already be done to a degree, but the ability to select how many threads run at what clock speed and what voltage would be HUGELY beneficial to them, esepcially Threadripper.

Nice review as always, boss, that performance really is something!

20. anthos

anthos Guest

GPU:
    -
    I am gonna take that a step further and say that it is never gonna happen.

Amd is a much smaller company and it kept getting pummeled at both fronts by intel and nvidia for so many years now and it still exists. Yet Amd gets the upper hand for a bit and a colossal company like intel is gonna go down just like that? When i see people posting such ludicrous statements it doesn't take much to know that that they aren't... the smartest people going around...