Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mkilbride, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Mugsy

Mugsy Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
    Dayum'...this episode...incredible.

They should capture Jamie, if Tyrion didn't see he was thrown off the horse that is bs.

2. petermaybe

petermaybe Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070, 8 GB
    The next episode can't come soon enough! I couldn't sleep after that episode

3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Really hated the battle in the episode, was horribly scripted:

Spoilers:
    -So first we have the army making a thin line formation against charging cavalry... great idea.

-Then instead of just having the dragon come in and literally fly over and throw fire on the beautifully straight line and kill nearly everyone, we waste a good amount of Dothraki in a head on charge against spearmen.

-And instead of using the scorpion ballista immediately to try and kill the dragon, we wait till it's ravaged half the army and already overun to try and use it (and of course everyone just ignores the guy standing on the wagon with a big-ass piece of artillery.

-And finally, since our dragon lady is having so many problems feeding her army, she decides to go ahead and burn to crisp the supply wagon train that her cavalry already overan....because fck feeding the troops.

And then she wonders how she lost half the war already...

Not too big a fan of the new season. The dialogue is noticeably worse (bordering on laughably awkward), and the plotting that abuses the viewers intelligence and randomly teleporting characters are killing the anticipation between episodes.

I hope it gets better in the last three...

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Buy the books. Then you get what's what and why.

5. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    "So first we have the army making a thin line formation against charging cavalry... great idea." It was the remains of the actual army and the back of the march hence Jamie telling the general to get he men moving or else.

"Then instead of just having the dragon come in and literally fly over and throw fire on the beautifully straight line and kill nearly everyone, we waste a good amount of Dothraki in a head on charge against spearmen." She burns an opening so the Dothraki can get through the line, she knows she needs to give them blood and have them sacrifice a little as well so they can feel valued as they are warriors.

-"wait till it's ravaged half the army and already overun to try and use it (and of course everyone just ignores the guy standing on the wagon with a big-ass piece of artillery" It was the first time they have seen a dragon. They were in shock and awe and weren't properly trained to automatically use the giant balista yet.

"And finally, since our dragon lady is having so many problems feeding her army, she decides to go ahead and burn to crisp the supply wagon train that her cavalry already overan....because fck feeding the troops." A perfect move. She brunt the gold that the lanisters owed.

Honestly, it's a TV show. You put FAR too much thought into. Hopefully my explanations will be helpful (they are just my opinions), but Christ you sound hard to please.

6. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Small correction, all the gold made it through the gates of King's Landing, as you can hear it straight from Randyll Tarly's mouth. I agree with everything else you said. :nerd:

Fantastic episode, battle wise Hardhome is still my #1, but I just love it when they do these major battle scenes with actual persons (and horses!) and practical effects and not just 100% CGI (like the Battle of the Bastards was).

7. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Oh, my bad. Then I guess she burnt it out of frustration and rage. Still a good move to limit the supplies for the bulk of the army.

8. aless83

aless83 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte r9 280x
    I just hope the White Walkers just conquer the continent and kill everyone

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Afaik the last book isn't even out yet? I understand that season 7 and 8 is written by the HBO team and only loosely based on the books (they've spoken to Martin which have given them broad strokes on what he intended with the story).

10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Actually there are still 2 more books to come out... but GRR writes at an incredibly slow pace (the first book came out in 1996 lol) so it doesn't matter at this point anymore, even though they are vastly superior from all points of view compared to the show. But yes, the show surpassed the books story wise, hence why the dialogue is ****ty at times.

11. glock38

glock38 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB
    She burnt their supplies, the other option was to burn what remained of the army but she took Jon Snow's advice. It was a show of strength from her.

12. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    WOW! Great leap by Bronn to save Jamie. A good 6 meters from his horse into the lake all while carrying Jamie.

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    So yeah, after this week's teleportation episode (literally almost every character has instant teleportation now), we got another leak. That's right, I just watched the full episode 6 and it was glorious (and better quality than the last leak lol). Apparently it wasn't even a leak this time around and HBO Spain aired it "by mistake" last night.

Also, the episode was pretty much spot on with the "episodes script" leak from like last year.

I guess it's too hard for HBO to get their **** straight, or maybe they do it on purpose for more hype...

14. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Watching 6 now.

15. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    PLEASE READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING NEW EPISODES

HBO has been running tracer programs within its network due to the massive leak potential, and as expected, the six episodes that have been leaked are watermaked and also has an embedded piece of program that can dial home and wipe your computer and steal credit card information and password. It also has the ability to take pictures using your webcam and steal your dick/pussy pics, and i am just making this stuff up to waste your time, and i cannot believe you are still reading this.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017

16. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    You cheeky little :wanker:

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    He was complaining about dialogues and "teleporting characters".
    That's consequence of a lot of story removed for simplicity (therefore no references to things not present in show). And time vs. places vs. viewer's active memory (while reading book, you'll get there in day of your reading time. But in show that would translate to 5 episodes and month later when most of viewers no longer remember reason or conversation which led character there).

18. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Nope, i have a life.

I will wait ;)

19. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    The Expanse suffers from this problem as well, the books give a good feeling of time passing where as events in the TV show seem to happen straight away.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Both shows are amazing. But reading books is very important there.

One can count series with this level of quality in last 30 years on fingers. And once books get involved, there are really just few series which were not based on books and could get close enough or match level of experience.
    But that's mainly because studios look for shows which serve as long running money making machine. So, TV shows more often than not are actually without real story progression or are full of fillers.

When I saw Twin Peaks, I had to wait for many years for next show which was about delivering story/'unique atmosphere'. I think Taken in 2002 was brilliant on so many levels.

Then soon after, Lost had so much potential, but it got lost in money making empty episodes. And closer to end it was coming, more lost it was even in plot. I considered 1st season extremely good, but if I knew how much BS will last episodes be, I would not watch even single episode.

Even Walking Dead nearly killed itself off by poor screenwriting which felt like entire season was filler except 1st and last 2 episodes.