Majority of people send full diagnostic data back to Microsoft

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    M$ : "we just collect whatever data we can and hopefully it will be useful in future. Cool kids do Deep Learning this days."

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Disgusting tbh.

4. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    Basic level send over 90% of what send Full mode, it still send your computer id, keystrokes, files, mic voice etc, etc... So from privacy concern nothing changed.

Still... Windows 10 is used by peoples who know that and do not care, so it is puzzling that not 100% not care about sending full data, specially when every big update change that level to send full report..

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

5. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I stopped caring.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Only works on enterprise though which is not readily available to consumers, if changed on other editions it just behaves the same as if you set it to basic.
    (I also believe it still sends some minimal data back but that could be incorrect.)

Insiders are also forcefully set to full and changing that causes the system to break until switched back.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    That's why I run Enterprise LTSB 2016

I understand Insiders being forced to, it defeats the point in beta testing otherwise, but for RTM/Final we should have a choice

I gave up caring about it when I was running Pro, but I switched to LTSB to get rid of the bloat of Pro, so why not disable it if it's possible in this SKU

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah, there's a lot of little things in Windows 10 I wish users had better control over, having to dig into the group policy editor and online documentation regarding settings for anything from privacy to behavior for updates and system apps is a bit cumbersome although I think I understand Microsoft wanting to keep things at a minimal for the average user thus hiding the control panel in favor of the lighter settings app and as the article points out a lot of Win10 users probably don't even bother changing the default setting not aware of what exactly it sends over which on full can include partial memory dumps and other data that might not be completely anonymous even if it likely also does help with troubleshooting. :)

EDIT: At least for now power users do have the option to go with the less restrictive Enterprise edition (Though Pro is a decent middle ground.) and can change some of these settings but MS is switching things around for every major Win10 build update so who knows how things will look like when RS4 and RS5 (Which were recently revealed.) come out plus the switch to a six month cycle instead of one major update per year.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea Pro has some more control I just can't stand all the rest of the stuff it comes with, I wish Pro was like LTSB without the apps and things

Leave Home with all the bloat, give Pro the same overhaul as LTSB by removing Cortana, Apps, Edge, OneDrive, Start menu ads etc (Leave the store so people have a choice) and leave LTSB as it is with all the above & store removed, and 100% control over telemetry

As it is, the only real difference for most people between Home & Pro is group policy

11. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
  12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The majority of Windows 10 users don't know what Windows 10 does while they use it with an internet connection..... which Microsoft of course is taking advantage of.

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Latest update 2016 (according to link). Does it still work? Because I could imagine m$ changing a few things and how they might work in the background over the last year, so it might not block everything.

14. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Not true. Show me proof they are sent keystrokes.

Also, with my upload speeds and monitoring, I know for a fact no files are sent (not to mention I have all that stuff disabled fully anyway).

Mic voice? Nope. Again show me proof. You need a tinfoil hat by the sounds of it

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Actually when 10 was first released someone captured traffic being sent to MS from a clean install and it did send all the above iirc, along with the first image your webcam takes when you first loaded up the camera app

Not sure now with the new privacy options, but originally even MS admitted that turning them off did nothing, which the traffic capture experiment also proved, same traffic was sent enabled or disabled

No need for tin foil hats when it comes to companies collecting data about you, how do you think facebook became so ridiculously valuable when they don't charge / sell anything to you? Data collection that they then sell to other companies

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Good, as it helps prevent a lot of potential issues with this sort of data gathering, which in the end improves the overall experience for everyone.

Anyone that actually has something to hide, or like me simply wants to disable all of those services, can do that as easily.

I tweaked settings, and used two other softwares to fully delete those services.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I think the problem is a lot of the data being gathered does nothing to improve the users experience, but just to improve MS's intelligence on it's users and their own bank balance, anyone who thinks companies only collect data for the good of the end-user is extremely naive IMO, it almost always mainly benefits the company

If it didn't, companies like Google, Facebook etc wouldn't exist, ot at least wouldn't be anywhere near as wealthy / powerful

18. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Just tin hat stuff again, there is no way they would or could record mic, from one person sure? but you're telling me they're recording millions and millions of peoples mics a day? thats hundreds of TB of data a day, they don't have that kind of hardware nor would they have the people to even go through them and find anything out... just more tin hat stuff, microsoft cannot check what everyone is doing in the world its physically impossible

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Don't think it was ever suggested it was a constant thing, from what I remember it was first use of apps that used camera / mic that would send a small amount of audio / image back to MS for that apps telemetry, which included a snapshot of the first image of the camera, and probably a second or two of audio to confirm the app was working as intended

It was all exposed and discussed back in 2015 when 10 RTM'd

Amazon's Alexa box thing supposedly listens and records 24/7, there was a murder case where the audio was requested from Amazon that Alexa had heard during the crime, so not impossible
    https://www.wired.com/2017/02/murder-case-tests-alexas-devotion-privacy/

Also iirc facebook was criticised for enabling the mics on phones so they could "Hear what music the user was listening to"

20. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570