Win10 woes have begun. Cannot even boot to safe mode!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by DSparil, Aug 6, 2017.

1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    So last night I was using my PC in gaming and internet browsing Bliss as always. I wake today to fire up my computer to find that Windows 10 cannot boot. I think no worries, I'll boot into safe mode and get it back up and running. I cannot get there. Windows 10 doesn't have an F key to boot into safe, and it automatically tries to repair itself after so many attempts of loading. Mine will say "preparing automatic repair", but it is never successful. Whenever I get to automatic repair, it goes to a black screen.

I made the mistake of not preparing a Windows 10 boot drive, so now it seems I am Sol. Any tips or advice how to get up and running? Or do I flat-out need a Windows 10 boot disk? The best I have on hand Is Win 7 :bang:

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  4. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Keep forcing a reboot and you should get windows repair screen

5. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I am really beginning to suspect hard drive failure here. I went into the BIOS and set it to boot from my DVD ROM , because I have a Windows 7 disk. It couldn't even boot from that! The windows logo just spun. My main Drive is a 6 year old OCZ vertex SSD. I really haven't checked my read and writes # on it and I've gotten no warning signal from my Asus mobo. If the hard drive failed, wouldn't I get The Tell-Tale beep? Or does that not happen with an SSD?

I considered that too, but I don't have a PC to do this on. I am on the forums Via mobile phone :(

Been there, done that. It repairs itself right into a black screen.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I think your best option is to borrow a PC and make a Win 10 USB/DVD

You must know someone else with a machine?

That way you can boot to the recovery options, and also reinstall Windows

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Post beeps on a hard drive or ssd?
    That's not possible.

8. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I thought that as well, but there may be another issue. As I was mentioning, I cannot boot off of a Windows 7 disc. I have power to all drives, but it will not boot from disk. I'm guessing the Windows 7 recovery options are not compatible with Windows 10....

Most of my local friends have mac, so I might have to eat the bench fee on this one. I'm running out of options :(

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You should be able to boot from any install media no matter what OS is installed, a hardware issue could be preventing it, try disconnecting the OS drive and see if you can boot from the Win 7 disk

10. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ okay. It would probably help to explain some of the things I've already tried. I've switched the boot Drive in the Bios, to boot from CD. When I attempted to, it showed read the CD, but did nothing and windows sign kept drivers appear to be loading because I'm getting power and functionality to my USB.

This just in, a buddy of mine has Windows 10 not far from here! I could make a boot disk. Would you recommend thumbdrive extraordinary? Giving my computer's failure booting from win 7 disk?

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You got secure boot enabled in the BIOS? That would cause boot problems unless the install media is FAT32 / UEFI (Not sure if Win 7 even supports it tbh)

Try enabling CSM in the BIOS and boot from the Win 7 disk again

Yea might as well use a thumbdrive, fastest way to install

12. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Well, i cant go back to the previous version and startup repair also fails.

These are the results ive gotten with a Win10 boot drive, fresh from my friends place. I was able to get some recovery options, but none of them work. I cant even choose "system restore" because it errors and asks me to reboot and specify which windows installation to restore. Since i cannot access these options from the boot disc w/out system files, it wont work. Sweet baby Jesus, i just want in safe mode lol ugh. Im going to try your recommendations with my Win 7 disc, either that or attempt to create another restore drive but this time with full system files (8gb).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If you clean install Windows 10 but choose NOT to format or delete any partitions, it will leave your entire old Windows install in C:\Windows.old so you can copy any files you want from there to backup

For future reference (I assume it still works) you can enable the F8 safemode options again using this command

Elevated Command Prompt:

Enable:
    Code:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy
    Disable:
    Code:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

If you can reach the command prompt from recovery options you might be able to set it there

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    In Win7 installer there was mode of installation - repair. It was selectable by some "press some key to show options" or something. I don`t know whether Win8 and Win10 have such mode, but this mode should just correct corrupted files and settings.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea a repair installation, can vaguely remember that, not sure I ever used it tbh

In-place upgrade would do a similar job but you need to be booted into windows to initiate the upgrade, you can only clean install if you boot from the install media (Or repair install if it is still supported)

Maybe try bootrec /fixmbr or /RebuildBcd type commands from CMD using the boot disk recovery options

https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/17521-how-fix-mbr-through-command-prompt.html

16. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Shift+F8 dont work when booting ?... In fact i know that with 10 the problem than it boot so fast, than it is hard to enter thoses keystroke. ( but they are still there ( this will load the repair, safe mode options at start ).

best way was still fail start:

But, if you cant really boot on anything, have you try check hardware ? ( ram, etc.. )

17. mmicrosysm2

mmicrosysm2 Guest

GPU:
    8 MB SDRAM
    Wow worded a little harsh but yes if you use Windows 10 and do not back up/image, you’re in a world of hurt.

18. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Ok, ive made some serious headway in the troubleshooting department! And sadly, its not looking good and is pointing to some hardware failure. I've exhausted all recovery options with a fresh Win10 boot drive with system files. Every usable option and recommendation I was able to try from here has failed.

To rule out the SSD as the issue, I uninstalled it entirely and popped in an old Windows 7 loaded WD SATA drive I had in storage. It wouldnt boot! When trying to F8 boot into safe mode on that drive, it starts as expected and stops sharply @ disk.sys. i can get no further. Keep in mind, this is on the completely diff drive with diff OS that worked in my old PC. Any idea what that could mean?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'd try a different sata cable or a different hd controller if you have one on your motherboard (asmedia or marvell whatever).

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    I have same issue all of a sudden. There was a big windows update. I clocked it to midnight. I did same at office pcs and laptops. No issues there. But home pc black screen with spinning windows icon u k own stuck. Since last night it does same. And tried rest button same same same. Why? I can't enter safe mode too. Let me read what is written here to solve my issue.