Cooler Master Announces Support for AMD Ryzen Threadripper and Socket TR4

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It will cover the die area. People's understanding of heat transfer is lacking it seems.

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's not needed...so.....

4. GiNaJuIcE

GiNaJuIcE Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1080 AMP
    completely agree

5. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    The more contact space the more cooler the cpu gets ! so I would agree to change the coolers shape .

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Hey looks, its more people who don't understand how heat transfer works.

Tell me, if Hilbert, you know, the guy who does reviews for this website, states:

"I can touch the area not covered by the heatsink, and it's cool"(not exact words, as i don't recall which thread he shared that in)

What, EXACTLY, do you think is going to be transferring, heatwise, to a larger block? Cold? Considering its cool to the touch, what could POSSIBLY transfer, heat wise?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  7. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    Hey let´s relax, not everyone can or want to get into the internet and read couple of hours to have a clear idea or understanding of a phenomenon which seems to be easy to "understand" more like try to use common logic.

i quote
    My very poor undestanding of the phenomenon super simplified is:

The very exact area where the block is having contact with the CPU area is the only area where exists heat transfer if the fluid has the enought transfer capacity then there will not be heat "leaking" outside of that exact area where both surfaces are having contact and thus does not matter if the waterblock covers more area than then one that is creating heat.

But hey that´s the little i understood by reading one / two articles and i basically fail all the physics classes in my high school and even in the college i had like ****tons of dificulties passing my only damn class of physics.... so take that **** with a rock of salt (not a grain mates).

For sure any expert in thermodynamics could enlighten us, (please?).

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If they are not willing to understand what they are posting on, then they shouldn't be posting about it. Otherwise, they should absolutely get the post i replied with sent back to them.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What a toxic attitude, lol.

insp1re2600 likes this.
  10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    What's toxic is people coming into tech forums, claiming facts that are not facts, and never learning from them.

What exactly is the point is claiming nonsense on stuff people are unwilling to understand?

I would never go into a car forum, and start claiming that my 1960s truck gets 50MPG, and here's proof that isn't proof. Why? Because i'm not a car dude.

So, again, what's toxic is people unwilling to understand what they are talking about, but posting about it anyways. Happens a lot on these forums, but probably more on others.

Like the first poster kastriot, who has come into, i believe, every single one of these posts about Threadripper and CPU blocks, and said the exact same thing "They need to change designs! Why? Because i say so, without proof, because, well, LOGIC!" even after Hilbert has told him it's COOL TO THE TOUCH around where its not touching, AKA, no heat transfer can happen, so no use. But, does he listen? Does he learn? Absolutely not, he just keeps posting it, in every single thread, to try and get people to agree with him, when he doesn't know what he's talking about. It's great, right?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

11. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    Well the thing is... his ignorance is not obvious for them, so they just talk their mind since they are sure about their "facts". Just like people some decades ago spreading nonsense about HIV was just a gay´s decease. I mean is just that ignorance, rather than treat them like leprosies why not tell them "hey that is totally wrong things works this way...etc, etc".

If they refuse to understand then leave them to their fate, after all is a "forum" where people voice their "opinions".

12. jembo

jembo Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/8600 GT/512MB DDR3 fanless
    Well said man, I used to be a lot more "toxic" myself. Y'know, "not-suffer-fools-etc." but I have toned it down a lot. I try to be more reasonable now... less angry. Heck, I even try to swear less in RL!

Anyway, another tactic is try putting it another way... Ahem: Technically, a heat-speader cpu lid is not even needed. They are just a useful convention in desktops, not even used in laptop cpus.

(Nice to know that AMD solder their lids to the die.)

I came to this this thread because I'm thinking of using an ML240L with a TR4 adapter on a 2950X. And I reminded myself of the above because, after all, I have dicked around with laptop cpus :)

I do want to turn on the SenseAI so it will need pretty good cooling. Still the 2950X is 180W TDP like the 1950X so it should be fine, albeit a bit noisy. If it doesn't work out I can still Gumtree the thing pretty easily... or add an extra couple of fans.

Cheers. If anyone has any thoughts to add...?