BenQ Launches EX3501R 100Hz 3440x1440 VA with HDR support

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    I was sure I'll be able to pick a new descent monitor at the end of the previous year, just needed to wait a bit for the new models to kick in - with VA, 1440+ res, 100+hz, HDR, descent ranged freesync, curved, price does not matter as it is a perfect display that will serve for years to come. I'm starting to think it won't happen this year too - each one on the market has some serious drawback - be the fake HDR, or 1080p, or all good but FS range is devastating, or only 60hz or...
    HDR speaking, what is really considered a "real" HDR? Yes, the ability to control the backlight, cool, but the standard does not define how many zones, that it is up to 72 or so, and if they put a "real" HDR but having a single or just a couple zones that is not much different than fake HDR anyway as you can't have dark and bright spots at the same screen, which kind of defeats the purpose...

3. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    If price is under 600$ then its good.

4. toffty

toffty Member

GPU:
    AMD 290
    Looks like this is BenQ's version of Samsung's CF791 which is a great monitor btw

5. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    This won't cost less than a 1000 bucks.
    I'm waiting for a decent 27 inch 1440p hdr gsync monitor not this kind of monstrosity that doesn't even fit most desks, LOL.

6. Strijker

Strijker Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060Ti
    No this is BenQ's version from the AOC Agon AG352UCG I think which is also 35 inch, samsung is 34 inch.

But the AOC got gsync and this is the freesync version from most likely the same panel, so could be good in price since the AOC is not that expensive for an ultra wide 3440x1440 100hz monitor with gsync.

Could be about €600-700... $600-$650.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @DrunkenDonkey
    HDR has nothing to do with "zones".
    Only the difference between dark and bright that can be displayed.

8. nightstaalker

nightstaalker Guest

GPU:
    64GB
    another AU Optronics panel and another fake HDR monitor, fml. When the heck will Dell release an ultrawide 100hz panel or should I just give up on gaming ultrawide monitors?

9. toffty

toffty Member

GPU:
    AMD 290
    Thanks for the correction :)

10. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    Fake HDR reminds me of the HDTVs that were advertised as 1080P, but actuality only accepted 1080P signals.

11. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Well no as HDR has always been about the dynamic range (wide gamut and 10-bit bit depth) moreso than anything else. So while you are correct it has nothing to do with "zones" it also isn't limited to just the ANSI contrast (think the standards require a peak brightness of 1000cd/m2).

12. nightstaalker

nightstaalker Guest

GPU:
    64GB
    just a 1080p 144hz Monitor with g-sync and supposedly with HDR support but we'll have to see if it offers legit HDR

ROG Strix XG27VQ Gaming Monitor Teaser Video | ROG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tBrv04am94

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  13. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Sorry I'm late to the party, but had been busy drinking these days :D
    Check out for example here:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/hdr.htm

The short version - good contrast is okay, but if your everyday desktop white is burning your eyes, you are gonna keep it on low brightness. HDR standard stands for ability for movies/games (with hdr support) to be able to control the backlight, i.e. when you are in a sunshine to see it, when you are in a dungeon to fear it. This is the basic version, with max version supporting 384 "zones". The zone is needed so when you have mixed scenes with bright areas and dark ones to have a local brightness correction that does not affect the rest of the picture. Thus I want a full 384 zoned display and don't care of the price, give it already! :D