Overview of Compatible Coolers For Ryzen Threadripper Processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    212 evo and freezer 13? will those two even be enough with out overclocking ? oO

3. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    Not necessarily, Most of the size is due to the large number of pins. The actual Die area is relatively small.

4. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Its interesting that theyd use gold as a coefficient of thermal expansion mismatch buffer and indium tin solder on blanks that produce no heat, so the package should be REALLY stable like a fully functional Epyc. Guess the gold costs less than validating a different heat spreader.

5. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @kastriot
    why?

the cores are soldered, not just thermal paste, so that already gives much better transfer than most intels will do.
    besides that, dies have a HS for a reason. it helps getting heat away from the cpu, so there is not gonna be a big difference WHERE it covers the HS, but how LARGE the area is.

now compare the spreader of the hot intel's with that of TR, which has a lower TDP as well.

so if intel can cool a hotter cpu with a smaller HS than TR, i assume, without any oc, any decent heatsink will work (that can cope with the TDP).

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  6. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    TR has a higher TDP (180W vs 140W), or which specs have you been reading? :)

7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    forgot "vs an oc intel", which can still be cooled with a decent quality cooler.

hence a stock clocked TR should be fine, even if the base doesnt cover the whole HS.

8. Angel_Rex

Angel_Rex Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    Celsius S24?

Celsius S24?

9. Angel_Rex

Angel_Rex Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    Looks lovely!

I did find it strange given that the H100v2 supports it, yet the S24 didn't. I didn't check the circular H100 plate but it looks the same size?

10. Gen Techa

Gen Techa Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 1080TI SLI
    Liquid Cooling

At this point processors aren't coming out with tested and approved fan based heat sinks because the speed just requires liquid cooling out of the box. Especially if you plan on over clocking this processor.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You seem to be very black and white when it comes to this situation. Basically, "If the CPU cooler doesn't cover the WHOLE heatshield, it won't work!"

But, you do know that is very much incorrect? Obviously a CPU cooler that makes contact in every possible point is the most ideal, but it has NEVER been a REQUIREMENT.

Only time will tell how well a smaller surface area heatsink will do, but i'd wager just fine, unless you plan to OC.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Except, you don't know that...do you? You just expect it to be true, and make statements to say you are correct. Until there's comparisons that show the difference between full coverage and partial coverage, what's the point in making statements like you have been?

13. TZO2K11

TZO2K11 Guest

GPU:
    AMDHD6950<r9290x<GTX1080
    While your post is a bit older than mine Newegg reviews are now **singing their praises for this processor cooler; besides, liquid coolers require a strong level of expertise and are the required domain of hard-core enthusiasts, and maintenance is quite expensive in comparison to boot!...My only problem is the wretched beige and brown color as my new build will be black-based.

**(The ratio for the
    Noctua NH-D15
    retains a full 5 stars from 228 users!)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It's not speed, it's TDP that determines this. On Ryzen AM4, and even a number of i5's and i7's that are under 100w only need a decent air cooler for a modest overclock. I mean you have say 140w cpus, those are going to generate a lot of heat and do require beefy coolers(AIO kits, and custom loops included in this) for a decent overclock. But I would say a Cooler master 212 would be enough for stock Threadripper.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3029-quick-ab-test-impact-tr4-coldplate-size-with-noctua

There's a big difference, common sense says there would be anyways.

No point in arguing against reasonable thinking..

Plain and simple, buy a cooler that is designed for ryzens increased die size.

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I saw the GN video as well. Very interesting.

I also had doubts about coolers that didn't cover the entire IHS, which is why I got the Supremacy Evo Threadripper Edition. Seems to provide decent cooling.